Gerry

Started by Ghostboy, March 06, 2003, 11:04:17 PM

cine

Well I *would* see it if the fucking movie CAME HERE. Christ. I'm also looking forward to seeing Casey Affleck's performance since some have been praising him. In every movie he's been in, I haven't liked him. His voice has never impressed me... when I hear it, I find his characters become less convincing. It sounds very fake and it's always bugged me. It's just how I feel when I hear it. But regardless of that, I'll see Gerry when it comes out on DVD for sure.

MacGuffin

They came, they saw, they got lost. While it failed to drum up much business, Gus Van Sant's Gerry was the talk of the festival circuit earlier this year and will make its DVD debut on November 11th courtesy of Buena Vista Home Entertainment. The disc features a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track, although there are but a couple of extras: audio commentary by Van Sant and some trailers. Retail is $29.95
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

abuck1220

that cover is retarded.

i had high hopes for a good dvd back when the official site linked to criterion.

edison

There could still be a chance, remember how Rushmore came out first then later Criterion put out their version, so dont give up total hope just yet.

Pozer

that cover reminds me of Armageddon or something

abuck1220

good fucking grief this movie was great. who wants to talk about it?

Finn

I finally saw this movie! Ever since Feb. I've been dying to see it. It didn't make beans at the box office but it played in Dallas for a week or so. I really wanted to drive there to see it but I never got the chance to. I bet it looked great on the big screen, Ghostboy.  :wink:  Anyways, I just bought the DVD and I was really blown away by it. The shots go on, on, and on for a very long time but I really admired the audacity. I'm sure it's going to be on my top ten list because it's one of the most unusual, interesting, haunting and artistic films of the last several years.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

RegularKarate

Yeah... I finally saw this too.

I really liked it... and yeah, P, that fucking Rock-Marooned scene had Me rolling Shirt Basket... HA!

Wish more people had seen this.

abuck1220

what did everyone think of the ending?

possible spoiler::::i've read reviews that say it was cheap, but i didn't think it was.

and how about the scene that takes so long you can actually see the sun rise? wow....

Ghostboy

I need to see both this and Elephant again, but for now, I still think Gerry is the better of the two. It leaves so much more open to the audience. It truly earns its ending (nothing cheap about it), but you have to be paying attention to follow the dramatic arc, since it's done with almost no dialogue. With Elephant, while Van Sant is completely objective, he does include clues to what is going to happen (many via a fractured timeline). With 'Gerry,' the biggest clue we get is the long, long scene of the two guys sitting on the hilltop, with Affleck looking at the horizon and Damon looking at Affleck -- I think that's sort of the key to the movie, but if someone hasn't been paying attention, they'll miss it. 'Gerry' is better because of its utmost simplicity.

MacGuffin

I just spent an hour and a forty watching two guys doing nothing but basically walking and walking and walking...and I couldn't look away. It was mezmerizing and I can't really put my finger on why. There's really no story, minimal dialogue that's banal and you don't know anything about the characters. I should have been bored. I mean, you watch a guy make a dirt matress for over ten minutes! Maybe it's because I wanted to see what would happen next. Maybe it's because of the beauty in it's simplicity. Maybe it's because you feel like you're there with them. I almost didn't want to see the wide shots of them walking (although the vista shots are gorgeous and the 2.35:1 ratio is perfect for showing the emptiness) because I liked the more intimate feeling of being with the guys. There's a wonderful close two-shot of the guys walking, their faces in unison, then out, then in; and all the time you hear nothing but the cadence of their steps over the gravel. The same type of unison is repeated when the guys walk over the salt flats, but the soundtrack has these eerie sounds of dilusion that sound like something from a horror movie. It's also interesting to see the process of setting up that shot (as seen in the behind the scenes extra), and the huge amount of dolly track laid down. It's a shame it's not a full doc covering the entire production, and a director/actors commentary track would have been nice too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

abuck1220

wasn't there originally supposed to be a commentary? i'm really disappointed that there's not one.

best film of this year (yes, i'm counting it as a 2003 release, thank you very much).

Finn

I guess Van Sant didn't have very much to say about it. Since the shots go on so long and there's not very much going on other than walking, the sky and a little music.

By the way, I found those two pieces of music that play in the movie and they're really great!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

samsong

Gerry isnt as effective as Elephant but it's equally fascinating and artistically invigorating.  The only problem I had with Gerry was how uneven it was in terms of content... the first half was fucking HILARIOUS and the end was a downer, though extremely haunting and beautifull executed.  But that's me being nitpicky... excellent film.

Not the best film of the year for me but definitely will be on my top ten.  Right now my number one is a tie between Elephant and Dogville (which I'm counting as a 2003 release)

abuck1220

when you start of going on a hike w/ your buddy (fun) to being near death in the middle of the desert (not so fun), i think a progression from funny to depressing is only natural. so that didn't bother me.

wait...you didn't think affleck's "how do you think the hike is going so far?" line near the end was funny? that's one of the funniest things i've heard in a movie in a long time.