Why? (Do fools dislike Spielberg)

Started by mutinyco, July 13, 2003, 02:20:00 PM

ono

Quote from: themodernage02ps: horrific monster movies rule, okay?  :wink:
Examples?  ;)

mutinyco

Jaws, King Kong, Alien, The Thing, Gremlins... Pee Wee's Big Adventure...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Gold Trumpet

I also don't understand the assumption that Minority Report can be open ended in its third part. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but the filmmaking doesn't suggest that possibility at all. It clearly suggests the obvious and ideas that it can be otherwise seem like over analyzitation to me.

Apocalypse Now Redux didn't feel like mere editing to me, but a man who was so confident of a work that was highly praised over years he was able to put everything he filmed into it in a new cut and call it his own. It feels like the Gone With the Wind or Godfather dream of mastery over a story and delight of an audience means that with control, as much material as possible can pour out. Many of the scenes just don't work and a lot of major added scenes only bring thought to places more foreign to the story than necessary (French plantation). In my own view, it would seem maybe 2 to 5 minutes tops of extras could be dignified. Kubrick's own editing in theatres was cutting down of material, something an editor would do. Coppola never heard of the word "editor" when doing his redux.

Saving Private Ryan is merely a decent film with a wonderful beginning. Call the beginning over reaching or too violent, but it does capture a scene like no other in trying to grab D Day, which likely wasn't the nicest of places to be at the time. But to call a scene trying to capture one of the biggest invasions in military history as overtly violent feels like a misstep. Maybe over stylized, but this isn't the case. As a short film, the opening is a masterpiece. The rest of the movie is a good film that feels more and more unbalanced to the opening.

~rougerum

mutinyco

I agree about Ryan. You won't get an argument from me there. The script sucked donkey dick. But the overall direction was hardcore.

I will vehemently disagree ith you over Apocalypse Now or the Redux. I don't believe there's been a film of that greatness since. There are a few almosts. But that film is a damn kitchen sink masterpiece.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Alethia

Quote from: mutinycoI will vehemently disagree ith you over Apocalypse Now or the Redux. I don't believe there's been a film of that greatness since. There are a few almosts. But that film is a damn kitchen sink masterpiece.

right on.

mutinyco

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, mainstream movies can be great.

-St. Joe

AK

Andy Warhol said:I had decided that "business" was the best art.

and PTA complemented:I don't wanna make a movie nobody's is gonna watch

That's what I love in Spielberg ...he got rich making the best of seventh art...

(and cuz he made the best movies from my childhood)

QuoteSpielberg=popcorn

no way....Brett Ratner is pop corn (old and rotten pop corn, BTW)

Spielberg commited some bad mistakes but I never get a clue why PEOPLE HATE him that much....

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteSpielberg commited some bad mistakes but I never get a clue why PEOPLE HATE him that much....

That's because of the pre-historical kind of thinking that good movies can't make shitloads of money.

As for me, Spielberg is a great director, who not always choses the best of the projects to direct (Amistad, The Lost World, Hook..... brrrrrrr), but those who can't see the greatness of such things as E.T., Schindler's List, A. I. or Minority Report, among others, well..... then you have problems...  :wink:
Si

mutinyco

-St. Joe

mutinyco

People are still debating whether A.I. had a downbeat ending or a happy ending. I still say it was downbeat. Remember, at the end, humanity is dead. Sure David gets his wish granted, albeit in the form of a program not in reality. But with his demise the last link to humanity is terminated. Long live the machines...

-St. Joe

Cecil

Quote from: mutinycoRemember, at the end, humanity is dead.

why is that a sad ending? its something thats inevitable anyway

it wasnt a perfect everyone is happy kind of happy ending, but i think it was more happy than sad.

Alethia

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
Quote from: mutinycoRemember, at the end, humanity is dead.

why is that a sad ending? its something thats inevitable anyway

it wasnt a perfect everyone is happy kind of happy ending, but i think it was more happy than sad.

what did you think of the film as a whole?

Cecil

i liked some parts, but mostly i was bored. i applaud spielberg for trying new things and going into a different direction, but it didnt really work for me. of course the film isnt terrible, i think its okay. ill have to watch it again sometime.

mutinyco

It was a great film. The ballsiest thing Spielberg's ever done. I think the ideas are too mature for most people, and many still have difficulty acknowledging this is a Spielberg film. In fact, most people still think David actually became a real boy at the end. I'll be interested to see where this film winds up in 7 years as critics are recapping the 2000's.

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteI'll be interested to see where this film winds up in 7 years as critics are recapping the 2000's.

I actually think it'll top some of the "best films of the 2000s" lists. It's a film that just keeps growing on me. At first I really loved it until its final act, but after rewatching the film, I thought that it started making much more sense to me, which doen's mean I preffer the actual ending to an ending which would consist in finishing the film with a certain underwater shot. But that's a whole other story
Si