So far this year...

Started by Ghostboy, July 04, 2003, 08:17:18 PM

Ghostboy

So now that the first six months of the year are up, what films might make your top ten list? At this point, mine would consist of...

1. Man On The Train
2. Northfork
3. Gerry
4. Irreversible
5. City Of God
6. Raising Victor Vargas
7. 28 Days Later
8. Whale Rider
9. All The Real Girls
10. Cremaster 3

with honorable mentions for Capturing The Friedmans, X2, Stone Reader, and probably a few more I can't remember at the moment.

On a similar subject, we should have a new forum here, consisting entirely of lists, so that we can make top tens to our hearts' content.

bonanzataz

i saw two of the movies on your list. can you guess which ones they are?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ernie

All the Real Girls is the only great film I've seen this year. I'm not going to bitch, just saying the truth. Next year looks like it's going to be the freaking best I think.

This year isn't over either...still wanna see Spun, Irreversible, and Solaris really bad...maybe Gerry too. I usually see a lot of my favorites at the middle-end of the year due to limited releases. Plus a lot of the promising releases this year seem to be fall releases (ie. Kill Bill, Intolerable Cruelty).

BonBon85

I haven't been able to visit the theater much this year but I've enjoyed All the Real Girls, Finding Nemo, and Down With Love. I'm expecting that the best is still to come, though.

Pubrick

the best movies always come out in the last 3 months of the year. and then only half are seen, let alone remembered.

by the end of the year everyone will agree 2003 was the first great movie year of the 2000s.
under the paving stones.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ebeamanAll the Real Girls is the only great film I've seen this year. I'm not going to bitch, just saying the truth. Next year looks like it's going to be the freaking best I think.

You saw it finally? Link me to your review...

but really, that is really about it that has come out this year, Im looking forward to Kill Bill and kinda Dogville, but 2003 is terrible so far

Ghostboy

Really? I agree with P -- this has been the best year of the millenium so far.

©brad

dude the matrix movies and the return of the king will alone put 2003 on the map for one of the best years ever. duh.

ono

I don't know, I think that this year is kind of lackluster so far.  Nothing really of mention, and I've seen a lot of movies.  But, my top ten right now (taking in to consideration that I don't even particularly like some of these movies):[list=1]
  • Finding Nemo - ****
  • A Mighty Wind - ***½
  • Bend it like Beckham - ***½
  • The Man on the Train - ***½
  • All the Real Girls - ***
  • L'Auberge Espagnole - ***
  • Nowhere in Africa - ***
  • Lilja 4-ever - ***
  • Bruce Almighty - ***
  • Raising Victor Vargas - **½
  • The Matrix Reloaded - **½
  • Russian Ark - ½*[/list:o]Funny how when I first posted this message, I totally forgot to put The Matrix Reloaded on the list.  Yes, that was how lackluster it was.  Ditto with All the Real Girls (that I forgot it at first).  I really need to see more movies.  I'm close to an arthouse, but they don't get the better stuff.  I'm expecting great things from Winged Migration, though, when it finally migrates here.  :-D

And much to my chagrin, I missed Gerry in the whole WEEK it played here.  And I missed Hable con ella, and probably City of God, and I imagine a whole mess of other quality pics.  Oh well.

Comte de Saint Germain

Location forbids me to see all the desired movies, but of what I've seen, I can only really say Finding Nemo and City of God are the great films so far this year. Still a lot of movies to see and many months of more films to come out for me to miss in first months and catch on video.

~rougerum
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

Alethia

all the real girls is the finest film ive seen this year, and will probably remain so.  i honestly havent seen much that i cared for besides finding nemo and down with love and a mighty wind, on top of that.  fall looks great though....

modage

wow, i was ONE/just thinking about starting this thread, and TWO/deciding against it because i thought this first 6 months were the worst ever.  i could hardly find three movies i even would think to make my top 20 for this year.

city of god
finding nemo
the matrix reloaded

and having seen like 30 movies or something, what a waste of fucking money.  i saw more last year by this time, but tried to filter out the bullshti this year, since ONE/i dont have the money and TWO/they really dont end up being too important.  this year sucks the big one.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: ebeamanThis year isn't over either...still wanna see Spun, Irreversible, and Solaris really bad.

solaris was last year.  spun and irreversible werent that good.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

sexterossa

yeah, i agree, ALL THE REAL GIRLS is the only significantly good movie i have seen this year. but i mean nothing good really ever comes out from the january through august period. except when EYES WIDE SHUT and BEING JOHN MALKOVICH were summer movies back in 1999. but that is just because 1999 was god's gift year of movies.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Ghostboy

I've written reviews for 52 movies so far this year, which means I've probably seen about seventy or eighty or so, since I only review about two thirds of what I see. Maybe I've been bludgeoned by too much crap, but I think there have been some really terrific films (albeit small ones) in these first two quarters, more so than usual. And I forgot to mention Finding Nemo on my list...I think it would definitely squeeze Cremaster 3 off of there.