TOP 10 2005

Started by modage, January 02, 2006, 05:14:12 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Neon, I responded to your post in the Crash thread to push discussion there.

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=7523.180

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Bethie

My turn:

1. The New World
2. Murderball
3. Me and You and Everyone We Know
4. History of Violence
5. The Squid and The Whale
6. Brokeback Mountain
7. Munich
8. Junebug
9. Match Point
10. In Her Shoes
who likes movies anyway

©brad

::sigh::

here goes nothing.

1. The Constant Gardner
2. Brokeback Mountain
3. King Kong
4. Match Point
5. Capote
6. Munich
7. In Her Shoes
8. The Squid and the Whale
9. Winter Passing
10. 40 Year Old Virgin

Ultrahip

1. Munich
2. Match Point
3. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada
4. Syriana
5. The Squid and the Whale
6. Good Night, and Good Luck
7. King Kong
8. Capote
9. Breakfast On Pluto
10. Corpse Bride

Regrettably, I have still not seen The New World, so I can't list that even though I'm sure it would be number 1 or 2.

Sigur Rós

1. Voksne Mennesker
2. Brokeback Mountain
3. A History of Violence
4. Adams Æbler
5. Good Night, and Good Luck
6. The New World
7. Syriana
8. King Kong
9. JE NE SUIS PAS LÀ POUR ÊTRE AIMÉ
10. Munich

modage

Quote from: sigurrós on March 16, 2006, 05:32:55 AM
1. Voksne Mennesker
2. Brokeback Mountain
'Brokeback' Author Peeved About Top 10 Loss

Annie Proulx, whose 1997 short story inspired the film "Brokeback Mountain," has penned a scattershot blast in a British newspaper unleashing her anger over the film's Top 10 Number One slot loss.

Proulx criticizes Xixax poster Sigur Ros in the 1,094-word rant, which appeared in Saturday's issue of The Guardian, a liberal paper boasting 1.2 million readers daily.

The Top Film of 2005 went to "Voksne Mennesker," which focuses on finding yourself in life.

Sigur Ros is not only "out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with his own segregated city," Proulx writes.

"For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant," Proulx concludes, "play it as it lays."

Calls by the Associated Press to Proulx's Wyoming home and her literary agent, Elizabeth Darhansoff, were not immediately returned Tuesday.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Red Vine

wooow she just won't stop.

:lol:
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Derek237

***revised list***

1. Batman Begins
2. Good Night, and Good Luck.
3. Capote
4. Brokeback Mountain
5. The 40-Year-Old Virgin
6. Munich
7. Syriana
8. A History of Violence
9. Sin City
10. Last Days

Link

Don't believe I ever got around to posting mine:

10. Tie - Yes

10. Tie - Shopgirl

9. The Weatherman

8. Good Night, and Good Luck.

7. Me and You and Everyone We Know

6. Jarhead

5. Sin City

4. 2046

3. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

2. Last Days

1. Match Point

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Do Oldboy and Saraband count as 2005 films?

Does it matter when it was released more globally or released at all?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

it's not an award show, you can post whatever you think is relevant here. 
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

godardian

Quote from: Walrus on April 10, 2006, 01:46:43 PM

Because it was not released in the U.S. until last year, I counted Saraband as a 2005 release.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Walrus on April 10, 2006, 01:46:43 PM

It would go by when the film got a theatrical release (film festival showings wouldn't count) in your respective country. In this case, both films got a theatrical run in the US in 2005.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oh.  Well damn, I should've asked that question before Nominations (though I don't think an extra vote would've put Saraband up into Best Picture or Oldboy into Best Editing.

With that in mind, here is my top 10 or so of last year

10. doom house
9. mirrormask
8. sin city
7. batman begins
6. jarhead
5. oldboy
4. a history of violence
3. saraband
1. brokeback mountain (tie)
1. me and you and everyone we know (tie)

Man... I need to see more 2005 films.

Gamblour.

You know, I got into such a craze trying to see all the films from 2005. I did see most of them, but it sucks that cinematic experiences will pass me by. I forget who said it, maybe Scorsese, but how this generation and future ones will miss out on so much cinema because there's just too much to digest and take in. I'm finding theater experiences more fulfilling and have managed to make them almost a routine, ie every Monday I've seen a movie for about three weeks now...V for Vendetta, Slither, today Brick. But I find modern movies mostly redundant. Catching up on earlier films and real cinema of the past, that's always much more fulfilling. Anyhow. Here's a list.

Junebug
Paradise Now
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Downfall
The Squid and the Whale
Grizzly Man
Rock School
Batman Begins
Munich
Walk the Line
WWPTAD?