If YOU could have a private screening with a director...

Started by cine, September 03, 2003, 11:58:19 PM

cine

This is for Silver Bullet. He answered it in Gamblor's "I would kill to see a screening with the director" thread anyway and I wanted to as well. So I'm doing it here.

If you could have a private screening of a film with its director, what would you pick? Choose one living director and his/her film and one deceased director and his/her film.

Enjoy.

Edit: I didn't add my own films yet because I really gotta think about it.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: The Silver BulletLIVING: Martin Scorsese, GoodFellas (1990)
DEAD: David Lean, Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Raikus

Living: Chasing Amy with Kevin Smith (I figure PTA will be booked with screening from here to eternity in this thread)
Dead: Dr. Strangelove with Stanley Kubrick
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Find Your Magali

Living: Spielberg with "Saving Private Ryan." We don't get the pleasure of any commentaries with him, so this would be a wonderful way to fill that void. You could never do "Schindler's List," because that movie is just too painful to chat through. It demands your attention. So "Ryan" would be good because it's such a great example of filmmaking, filled with great scenes and great actors to talk about. Plus, it's NOT perfect, it would also be interesting to pick Spielberg's brain about some of the more-criticized elements (the framing device, Damon's godawful "she hit every branch on the way down the ugly tree" speech). There are things to be learned in the successes and failures.

Dead: Pakula with "All The President's Men." We lost such a great director a few years ago, and I always come back to ATPM as one of my favorite films. I love how this movie is fresh every time you come back to it and maintains suspense and drama in what must have seemed to be one of the most impossible book adaptations of all time (kudos to Goldman, of course). I mean, it's a movie about a couple of reporters who make phone calls, knock on doors and generally get rebuked in their dogged attempts to get to the bottom of a story. Nobody is trying to gun them down. There are no car chases. Heck, the movie actually ends with one of their setbacks. Having a stellar cast helps, but I'd want to chat with Pakula about how this all worked soooooooo wonderfully.

Derek

Living: Lucas on Episode I: Throughout the screening, I would be poking him in the ribs and saying "So how come you suck George? How come you suck George?"

Dead: Hitchcock on Vertigo.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

jasper_window

This is a tough one because there's so many...but

Living:  Soderberg - just about anything he's done, Traffic, Out of Sight, or The Limey inparticular.  His commentaries are so great it would be fantastic to get to ask him questions.

Dead:  I'm gonna go with a less obvious one, Ted Demme - Blow.  I saw Monument Ave. aka Snitch at Sundance and he was great, but it was quick and the cast was there, leaving most of the questions directed at Martin Sheen and Denis Leary.  It was heard to get a called on for a question also.  But, he seemed like such an enthusiastic guy, and obviously loved films.  An underrated director for sure.

SoNowThen

Living: Scorsese - Taxi Driver
                     tie
          Godard - My Life To Live

Dead: Fellini - Amarcord
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Fernando

Rather than see the a film with its director I would do this:

Dead: Kubrick with Ereaserhead, it is known that he loved that film so it would be great to hear his insights about this one and why he liked it.

Living: Either Lynch or Scorsese with almost any Kubrick film, perhaps with MS I'd watch Barry Lyndon and with Lynch EWS or The Shining. Same as above, to find out why are those films great for them.

NEON MERCURY

living=darren aronofsky:requeim for a dream

deceased=alfred H.:rear window

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: RaikusLiving: Chasing Amy with Kevin Smith (I figure PTA will be booked with screening from here to eternity in this thread)
Dead: Dr. Strangelove with Stanley Kubrick

Fuck that man.  I'll kill all opposition to have a screening with PTA. So:
Living: Punch Drunk Love, Paul Thomas Anderson
Dead: In a Lonely Place, Nicholas Ray or Monument Ave. with Ted Demme.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Vile5

Living: Magnolia/PTA, i have a soft spot for him!

Dead: mmm...(Hitchcock or Kurosawa...tricky,tricky)...ok Dreams/Akira
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

AK

LIVING  David Lynch Mulholland Dr.

DEAD Stanley Kubrick The Clockwork Orange

MacGuffin

As much as I would love to sit down with Hitchcock on "Vertigo" or Billy Wilder on "Double Indemnity", I feel I know the back stories of the productions and the filmmakers from books and footage. So I would pick:

DECEASED: Orson Welles - "The Magnificent Ambersons" to find out exactly what he had in mind and get all the the studio backstabbing stories straight from him.

LIVING: Steven Spielberg - "A.I." to find out all the conversations between him and Kubrick and what changes were made, etc.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Just now I'd like PTA on Fight Club.

Otherwise Jim Jarmusch on Dead Man, or Richard Linklater on Waking Life, just to listen to him ramble on and on while I close my eyes.

Dead: Von Sternberg on The Scarlet Empress, to hear his deranged slaverings about Dietrich.

If it's about who you'd like to be in a room with, watching the movie with and not saying too much, then Billy Bob Thornton on Sling Blade.

cine

I'm forced to do a top 3 for each.

Living:

1. Martin Scorsese on Raging Bull
2. Mel Brooks on Silent Movie
3. Werner Herzog on Aguirre: The Wrath of God

Dead:

1. Federico Fellini on La Dolce Vita
2. Buster Keaton on The General
3. Stanley Kubrick on 2001

As for a director screening a different director's movie, I'd have to go with:

1. PTA on Nashville