Favourite silent movie

Started by cine, August 03, 2003, 12:03:16 PM

Alethia

Quote from: Slick ShoesThe General

just got it from netflix...is it really that good?  i was gonna put off watchin it cuz i have an assignment, but fuck the assignment, i'm not in the mood.....man, i cant wait.....

Ravi

Quote from: eward
Quote from: Slick ShoesThe General

just got it from netflix...is it really that good?  i was gonna put off watchin it cuz i have an assignment, but fuck the assignment, i'm not in the mood.....man, i cant wait.....

I don't want to get your hopes up, but this is the best damn movie ever made.

Well, it's not quite that good, but I liked it a lot.  I saw it with no expectations.

cine

if you like silent film, you'll love the General. Simple as that. When I name the best silent films, I want to mention a Keaton film, but usually I want to break convention and just go with one of his more 'obscure' titles if you can call them that.. but I just can't. The General is his most superior film. It's an epic silent film and very funny. Can't go wrong with the General.

SHAFTR

"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

'Lost' Valentino film discovered
Source: BBC News

A 1922 Rudolph Valentino silent movie classic has been found after being considered lost for almost 75 years.

The Dutch national film archive discovered the copy of melodrama Beyond the Rocks in a private collection left to the Filmmuseum.

The movie, also starring Gloria Swanson, is in good condition apart from about two damaged minutes.

Historian Jan van den Brink said:"We are feeling rather excited because it is a wonderful rediscovery."

Beyond the Rocks is the only film in which Valentino and Swanson starred together, added Mr van den Brink.

The museum was given the collection of more than 2,000 film canisters in 2000 after the death of a collector in the town of Haarlem.

Archivists had taken such a long time to find the Valentino movie because the deceased collector had organised the films in an unusual way.

Festival unveiling

Beyond the Rocks is an 81-minute romantic melodrama about a woman pushed into a marriage with an older man but who then falls for Valentino's nobleman character on her honeymoon.

"It is a complete feature film in six acts with a beautiful story in which Valentino plays a rather decent character," said Mr van den Brink.

The Filmmuseum will restore the film, repairing scratches and other minor damage.

It has also asked Dutch composers to write a new score to be performed live when it shows the silent movie at its festival in Amsterdam next year.

Mr Van den Brink said the Filmmuseum expected interest in the film from archives around the world as well as the film's producers, Paramount, and planned to produce a copy for international distribution.

Rudolph Valentino was born in 1895 to a middle-class Italian family.

He moved to New York in 1913 and became a huge star in the early 1920s for his steamy romantic performances. He died in 1926 following complications from a perforated ulcer.

Gloria Swanson, best known for her portrayal of Norma Desmond in Billy Wilder's 1950 Sunset Boulevard, was one of the most popular and influential female stars of the 1920s.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

i choose The General.

favorite silent character: Edward Scissorhands
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Quote from: El Duderinofavorite silent character: Edward Scissorhands

He's not entirely silent. He does speak; "I'm not finished."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

samsong

Sunrise is still and forever will be my favorite silent film.

and to go off of what El "spoiler" Duderino started...

favorite silent character -- off the top of my head, anyway -- is Hattie (Samantha Morton) from Sweet and Lowdown.

El Duderino

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: El Duderinofavorite silent character: Edward Scissorhands

He's not entirely silent. He does speak; "I'm not finished."

oooohhh.....right. forgot about that.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Kal

1) The Gold Rush
2) Metropolis
3) The Cabinet of Dr. Caligary

The Obstruction

I havenĀ“t seen so many, but if i was to chosse, then i would pick UN CHIEN ANDALOU/AN ANDALUSIAN DOG.

You can really feel Salvador Deli's art in it, it's like one of his picture, except it's not him who painted/directed it.

"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

molly

Everything of Charlie Chaplin. Can't pick one, i havent seen any silent movie for ages, but Charlie Chaplin was genius. It's like silent movie was invented for him.

AND Mr Bean with Rowan Atkinson is MOSTLY silent. Watch Rowan Atkinson, that guy has a rubber body.

cine

Quote from: mollyAND Mr Bean with Rowan Atkinson is MOSTLY silent. Watch Rowan Atkinson, that guy has a rubber body.
Yes, Atkinson deserves credit for being able to do the character well, but everything he did was greatly influenced by Jacques Tati and his Mr. Hulot character. Without him, there would never have been a Mr. Bean..

molly

Mr Cinephile, you are a true cinephile.
Mr Hulot, is that "Uncle"?

context, context, context.