Favourite silent movie

Started by cine, August 03, 2003, 12:03:16 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: peteI was being sarcastic.

Thanks. Now we're back up to 94%.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: peteI was being sarcastic.
Thanks. Now we're back up to 94%.
94.001% with that post.

modage

silent movies are good SNT.  they're just like regular movies (only without the talking).  i just got my two chaplin boxsets in the mail finally today as volume 2 was on backorder.  soon i'm going to see The General and Sherlock Jr.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

if anyone brought up triplets of belleville alraedy, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna bring it up again.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Eisenstein Classic Gets a New Score

Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent classic Battleship Potemkin was screened in London's Trafalgar Square Sunday night with a new score composed by the British band, the Pet Shop Boys, performed by the band and the Dresdner Sinfoniker orchestra. Although band member Neil Tennant recently wrote on his website that while he was attracted to the assignment of writing a 73-minute piece of music, he was even more excited about the "unsullied purity about the whole thing, as we don't get paid and the audience doesn't pay to see it. It feels refreshingly idealistic at a time when Madonna's concert tickets can cost as much as £150 [$270] each." However, the BBC's reviewer on Monday called the new soundtrack "ho-hum and noodly."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

triplets of belleville was sort of a silent movie, in the sense that people of any nationality could understand it. but there were sound effects and mutterings(sorry couldn't come up with a better word) that would constitute it not being silent.

i did love the film though.

i would have to say the general is my fav. keaton was the master of stunts
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

my favorite film is silent: window water baby moving by stan brakhage

modage

Quote from: themodernage02soon i'm going to see The General and Sherlock Jr.
five months later i've told the truth.  i watched my first two Buster Keaton films tonight along with Sunrise (also for the first time).  sunrise was good, but my least favorite of the 3 i watched.  it was a little disappointing in that way when you watch citizen kane for the first time and although its good, you always just hoped that there could be more based on its reputation.   keatons films were quite different from the handful of chaplins i've seen.  whereas chaplin used his body in every scene as an instrument of comedy, keatons films show him doing that in some scenes and constructing absolutely brilliant sequences of comedy.  while watching the general i kept thinking that it was like a looney tunes cartoon BEFORE there were looney tunes cartoons, just absolutely brilliantly conceived sequences.  my favorite, i think, was sherlock jr. though at 44 minutes i wish it was longer.  i could've used another 30 minutes of that character easily.  well, i think i still personally prefer chaplin but, i've only seen a little bit, so who knows.  also, the score on sherlock jr. was very odd and seems like it was definitely written post 1950, but i sort of liked it anyways.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

I watched The Fall of the House of Usher today.  I was pretty tired and it was a 9:30 class, so I was a little out of it, but the cinematography is gorgeous.  I'm going to watch it again when I'm more alert.

Pwaybloe

What I would give to have been able to watch a movie in class while I was in college...

Bethie

Although I haven't seen many silent films, my fav so far is Metropolis.

Get this- A theatre like 45 minutes away from me is showing The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari with live musical accompliment for one show only the 22nd of this month. Now isn't that cool!
who likes movies anyway

Alethia

where upstate do you live?  because it is feesible that this theater could be around my area too, in which case i could attend!!!

Bethie

I live in Elmira, NY. It's going to be playing at a theatre in Ithaca, NY on October 22.
who likes movies anyway

Alethia

Film Student

Tie for favorite silent film:

"The Crowd" (King Vidor, 1928) and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (Robert Weine, 1919)
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter