So far this year...

Started by Ghostboy, July 04, 2003, 08:17:18 PM

godardian

Morvern Callar.

Swimming Pool.

Spellbound.

Russian Ark.

Those are the only ones that I've really, really loved so far that come to mind. I did like Confessions of a Dangerous Mind a lot more than I thought I would, but I'd have to see it again.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Jeremy Blackman

1. City of God
2. 28 Days Later
3. Hulk
4. A Mighty Wind
5. Finding Nemo

godardian

I'll have to check out this City of God. Everyone's so in love with it, and I don't even remember it playing anywhere near me!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Derek237

I just saw Finding Nemo. It was amazing, takes my top spot for best 2003 movie so far now...

Ghostboy

For once, I'm just bored and feel like resurrecting a thread. So with previously released film settling in your memory, and only two and half months left to the year, how is your favorites list shaping up, and what do you anticipate making the cut?

1. Lost In Translation
2. Kill Bill
3. Gerry
4. The Station Agent
5. The Cremaster Cycle
6. Irreversible
7. Whale Rider
8. Northfork
9. Man On The Train
10. Mystic River

I don't think anything will bump Lost In Translation from the top spot. But I'm guessing that Elephant and Return Of The King will both find a place pretty close to the top.

cine

1. Lost In Translation
2. Man On The Train
3. Whale Rider
4. Kill Bill
5. Matchstick Men
6. Mystic River
7. All The Real Girls
8. Northfork
9. Finding Nemo
10. Russian Ark

Didn't get to see American Splendor :(

Banky

Reloaded
Kill Bill
Freddy VS Jason

I havent seen many but i liked these.  I really want to see Mystic River.

coffeebeetle

1) Lost In Translation
2) Kill Bill

I really really really hope Lost wins something...

I have to see Mystic River.  Tim Robbins returning to form at last....
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

ElPandaRoyal

These movie were only released here in 2003 and I really like them...

Adaptation
The Hours
Punch-Drunk Love
City of God
25th Hour
Dolls
Matrix Reloaded

Edit: Far From Heaven, Ken Park, Gangs Of New York...
Si

Jeremy Blackman

1. City of God
2. Kill Bill
3. 28 Days Later
4. Lost in Translation
5. Hulk

freakerdude

Reloaded
Identity
The Hunted
Basic

Old School - I think I set my expectations too high....needs a re-watch

I'm just an ordinary film lover and usually just rent DVDs unless it's big like Reloaded.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

1. Finding Nemo
2. Seabiscuit
3. Magdalene Sisters
4. Lost In Translation
5. Matrix Reloaded
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Newtron

. HULK
. Kill Bill
. American Splendor
. Reloaded
. Gerry
+ heaps more

= The first great year for movies this century.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: NewtronThe first great year for movies this century.

I loved some of the movies that came out in the past three years, but this is really beeing great. In a year when I get PTA, Scorsese, Tarantino, The Coen Brothers, Spike Jonze and Kitano, among others... it can only be a wonderful year for the movies. Fucking great.
Si

modage

1. kill bill: volume one
2. city of god
3. lost in translation

4. finding nemo
5. pirates of the carribean
5. seabiscuit
6. matchstick men
7. intolerable cruelty
8. mystic river
9. open range
10. the matrix reloaded

there aint much year left, so i'm really hoping on 21 grams, lotr: rotk, last samurai, big fish, maybe cold mountain.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.