Red Eye

Started by MacGuffin, March 18, 2005, 05:58:10 PM

Brazoliange

Quote from: RegularKarateSo I saw this at a sneak tonight (nothing else to do, the lady of the house was away on business)... this movie completely did it's job.

It's not even an hour and a half... it doesn't try to trick you into thinking it's anything other than what it is.

McAdams is hot, Cillian is mean, and I didn't want my money back (well, I didn't pay for, but I wouldn't have been mad if I had).

I'll agree, it was really good for what it was. I wouldn't call it Collateral on an airplane though...

{SPOILERS}

the only part that I thought dragged on a bit was the fight at their house. it was really fun though, and the characters were good enough to keep it entertaining.
Long live the New Flesh

SHAFTR

I was really into this during the first 2 acts.  In the third act it seems to stop taking itself as serious, and I don't think that is a good thing.  Overall, a pretty good thriller.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

The Red Vine

I felt the same way about the first 2 acts and it get a little too routine from there. But the scene at the end is very intense. Rachel McAdams is cute as always.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

RegularKarate

I think the whole point is in the third act.  It's ALL been done to death, but the third act wakes you up and throws it in to full gear.  It's a nice little surprise in the film (not a twist... a surprise).  Of course it's ridiculous... the whole movie is.. it doesn't try not to be.

part of it DID remind me of Coupon: The Movie though

modage

watched this the other night.  agree with everyone else.  possibly without the two leads being so likable/watchable the movie wouldn't have been nearly as good as it was but with them it was pretty compulsively watchable.  i want more mcadams.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

*MINOR SPOILERS*

The second act was terrific; extremely tense and claustrophobic. McAdams and Murphy shine in their roles. The dialogue and Craven's use of close-ups and compositions sustain what is essentially a two character play, building the suspense up perfectly. It's like the opening ten minutes of Scream held for 30 minutes.

But then they land, and the third act loses what was build up. The killers, especially Murphy's, aren't very theatening and become somewhat silly. It makes one wonder how they got to be assassins in the first place; even the little girl is able to get a shot in on him. Still, that doesn't take away from rooting for McAdams's character to take charge and Murphy's character to get his, but that's only because of the power of the Craven's excellent second act.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

worked
McAdams
Murphy
mercifully short running time

didn't
the pseudo-hotel and airline commercials that were the beginning
the Dr. Phil product placement
the entire second act consisting of nothing but one half-assed attempt to get him caught after another
the entire third act lifted from Scream

winner
Wes Craven's bank account