The Weather Man

Started by MacGuffin, December 18, 2004, 02:37:15 PM

metroshane

Ah, that's cute. :oops:

Just when I think Cage is acting pretty decent...Caine pops up and woodshed's him.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

RegularKarate

Gore Verbinski has a pretty good track record with me.

He seems to have the ability to turn shitty projects into decent films.  They say you can't polish a turd, but I think Verbinski seems to actually possess this skill.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: RegularKarateHe seems to have the ability to turn shitty projects into decent films.  They say you can't polish a turd, but I think Verbinski seems to actually possess this skill.

Agreed.

What's that song from the end of the trailer?

picolas

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: kotteWhat's that song playing in the trailer? I can't remember...

"The Passenger" - Iggy Pop

cine

I stopped caring about Cage after Adaptation. I guess it's because everything was downhill after that.. everything he's in looks so boring.

metroshane

I was thinking everything after Wild at Heart.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Myxo

Leaving Las Vegas for me.

Adaptation was alright..

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Paramount is moving Nicolas Cage starrer THE WEATHER MAN back six months from April 1 to Oscar season. The movie centers on a successful weathercaster whose personal life unravels.

-------------------------------------------------------

damn, i really wanted to see this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Wow, does that mean it really sucks or it's that mediocre? I'm not sure. Like RK said, maybe Verbinski polished the hell out of this turd (Xixax: The Home of Classy Idioms).

It looks OK. When did this project start? It's vaguely reminding me of an adult's Garden State. Stupid reasons of course, the archery, the overly obvious need to add bits of "quirky" to a mundane life.
WWPTAD?

modage

they are holding it back because they think its too good for april.  hence, oscar season.  they're probably atleast hoping for some acting noms for cage and caine.  i was really looking forward to this as something different than the usual 'pre-summer' april fare, so that sucks they're pushing this back to come out with everything else.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Finn

aww great...one of the few movies I was actually looking forward to
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

saw The Weather Man tonite (finally).  firstly, it's not like the trailers.  sort of funny and quirky and gives an impression that he takes control of his life and things will be good and uplifting in the end.  its not like that.  also: many months ago i had read a review on AICN that compared it to Wonder Boys (a film i love).  its nothing like wonder boys.  so best to drop any of those expectations before seeing this.  and i'm pretty sure losing the horse would hate this film.  like squid & whale it is funny but mostly sad.  in a slightly more hollywood way, but on the other hand not.  there is no real plot, it just goes.  for some reason after the film i kept thinking about the adaptation quote about how real life's not like that before being schooled by brian cox on 'people find love people lose it...'  this movie seems to be from the former point of view.  its almost sobering to see but its a film about accepting your life, but again, not in a hollywood way.  dave is not a bad guy, he's not the overworked absentee father stereotype, he's a real guy.  he wants to be a good dad, and kids are...kids.  very realistically portrayed, not 'characters' but characters.  i dont know.  i guess i was sucker punched because it was very different from the light comic touch i had expected to gloss over everything though there are many moments that were hilarious, you keep waiting for that 'its going to be alright' moment we've been conditioned to expect out of films about these issues.  and it never really comes.  i'll definitely be revisiting this on dvd though.  B

Reinhold

i think you forgot to literally spell out word for word from the screenplay how it ends.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

i think i gave a pretty brief vague description of the film.  did you think anything was spoiled?