Everything twitter

Started by Punch Drunk Hate, November 30, 2017, 10:49:34 PM

kingfan011

Quote from: jviness02 on June 25, 2020, 11:46:29 AM
Quote from: WorldForgot on June 24, 2020, 11:50:04 PM
Reminds me of where Tarantino sez for this same reason he had Paul watch H8ful Eight on a typical edit bay monitor.

There should be a drinking game for every time Tarantino awkwardly taps PTA's knee.

And then Anderson looks at him like stop touching me

Pringle

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but it seems strange to me why the editor of a film magazine wouldn't understand why Nolan is so committed to a theatrical experience. The massive scope and image size is built into Nolan's art in a way that it isn't for most other films, including Boogie Nights. I mean, a good movie that's been cropped to 1.33 for television is still a good movie, but it's still not the intended way you're supposed to be seeing it.

Shughes

Quote from: wilberfan on June 24, 2020, 10:32:56 PM
I haven't encountered this quote before.  Agreed.

https://twitter.com/EthanRAWarren/status/1275593782910648321

I'm pretty sure this is from the Hollywood Conversations pizza interview he did with Mike Figgis.

jviness02

Quote from: Pringle on June 25, 2020, 01:59:11 PM
I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but it seems strange to me why the editor of a film magazine wouldn't understand why Nolan is so committed to a theatrical experience. The massive scope and image size is built into Nolan's art in a way that it isn't for most other films, including Boogie Nights. I mean, a good movie that's been cropped to 1.33 for television is still a good movie, but it's still not the intended way you're supposed to be seeing it.

Movies aren't cropped for TV anymore for the most part. However, I think there's a healthy space in between the two extremes. I do think the theatrical
experience is special and we should continue to put resources in it. However, the film does live on through home viewings and what PTA said about watching it on a shitty print is true. I am a big champion of the cinematic experience in theaters, but a global pandemic is not the right time to be pushing that.
Read the room Chris.

ForTheHungryBoy

PTA and Nolan are going for notably different things when making movies. Dunkirk is a one-of-a-kind brilliant moviegoing experience if you see it in theaters. If you're at home, unless you have a dark private mini theater setup, it's simply not the same. He's after epic-scale visual experiences, and has done enough good for cinema (and brought us enough joy) that we should be supporting his theater insistence. I will be seeing TENET in theaters, and today, will happily be watching PDL on my couch.

Drenk

Ascension.

wilberfan

(Need to read the entire thread.)

[tweet]1278415529498288132[/tweet]

wilberfan

Thanks, e...came here to post the same item.  Did you notice it's a couple of minutes shy of FIVE HOURS?

Cool.

[edit]  I'd forgotten that these are the "New Beverly Boys".  Just listened to the first 48 minutes--which is just Hard Eight. 

Alethia

Too lean, if you ask me.  :yabbse-smiley:

modage

Quote from: eward on July 02, 2020, 03:41:25 PM

Definitely. NO SPOILERS but there may be something around 2 1/2 hours dropping tomorrow that focuses on about 2 1/2 minutes of his filmography.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

wilberfan

Quote from: modage on July 02, 2020, 06:18:16 PM
Quote from: eward on July 02, 2020, 03:41:25 PM

Definitely. NO SPOILERS but there may be something around 2 1/2 hours dropping tomorrow that focuses on about 2 1/2 minutes of his filmography.

I'm putting my money on an extended analysis of "Clementine's Loop". 

wilberfan

Drill

I'm guessing that he's the next guest on Increment Vice?

wilberfan