Tron: Legacy

Started by MacGuffin, September 11, 2007, 12:39:01 AM

modage

It will be released at Christmas.  I think this looks great, but I haven't seen Tron and don't know anything about this other than I love the production design.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

RegularKarate

The first Tron (from what I remember, I'm going to watch it again soon) was super boring.  I think most people accept this as fact.

I'm covered in Nerd Boners for this new thing purely from the design and music.  That end with the Daft Punk score going all glitchy... love it so much.

Pubrick

i enjoyed the first tron, the design alone was interesting even if the story was stupid.. the new one doesn't look much different in that it's populated with bland faces -- with the exception of Jeff Bridges apeparing at the end, that seems to instantly give this movie some much needed weight. who knows how they will use it but if it really never got the respect it deserved as seems to be the consensus around here, then this sequel could be the Anvil of Trons.

to get a better idea of just how cool this movie might be i had a look at the director's other work. this being his feature debut i had a look as his ads, here are some notable ones with light commentary:

Apple- iSpec

Entirely computer generated colorado lounge from the shining. amazing and genuinely creepy. this guy might end up making District 9 look like District Shite.. doubt it.

the comparisons to Blomkamp are not just cos they are masters of CGI.. this dude made his name on these spots for Gears of War in much the same way that Blomkamp's Halo short(s?) were his calling card. i havn't played GOW so i can't fathom how the song relates to the game literally or abstractly.. i can only take this spot as a really subversive statement on addictive video games in general. the final shot is very supportive of this theory in that the image of a soldier fighting against a huge monster in a dark room is OBVIOUSLY reminiscent of any gamer playing the game in their bedroom.. again i havn't played the game, it works as a general statement.

this is just another video game clip but a necessary set up for this clip of a over this commercial and sort of proving my point about this dude's total and complete control over the digital world and its fiends.. perfect for tron!

the closest i could find to the look and feel of the Tron Legacy trailers is this Saab commercial he did back in 97.

the CGI/real ratio is completely irrelevant at this point. all that needs to be said is: this dude is slick as fuck.

oh yeah, this dude is Joseph Kosinski.
under the paving stones.

OrHowILearnedTo

what the fuck was the iSpec???

Alexandro

yes I saw the trailer on the alice in wonderland showing and needless to say it was the best thing about going to see that crap. however, if the first tron was stupid and everyone acknowledges and it and everyone remembers it kindly this one will be even more stupid.

RegularKarate

P, thanks for those.  "Slick" is definitely the right word.  That's what I see in this.

Quote from: Alexandro on March 10, 2010, 12:40:16 PM
if the first tron was stupid and everyone acknowledges and it and everyone remembers it kindly this one will be even more stupid.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get this logic.  If a movie made thirty years ago was stupid and everyone knows it was stupid then the sequel made now will be even worse?  What's an example of this?

picolas

thanks p! looks like i've enjoyed many of his commercials unknowingly. i'm suddenly a little excited.

72teeth

best trailer nominee fo sho... im excited
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pas

The Saab and Halo ads are great!

but...

Ugh the GoW-Mad World commercial was terrible. Also, by the time that commercial aired that song had already been overplayed to death.

What the hell was that iSpec thing, looked like a videogame. You're making quite a leap by implying this can be compared to District 9 technically. And yeah, it was made in 2007... Metal Gear Solid 4 was made in 2007 if you want to compare.

So it might be good and it might suck too.

polkablues

I remember liking Tron, but certainly not enough to say I would want to see it again, but with Garret Hedlund this time.  Channing Tatum, maybe.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 10, 2010, 01:28:40 PM
P, thanks for those.  "Slick" is definitely the right word.  That's what I see in this.

Quote from: Alexandro on March 10, 2010, 12:40:16 PM
if the first tron was stupid and everyone acknowledges and it and everyone remembers it kindly this one will be even more stupid.

Sorry, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get this logic.  If a movie made thirty years ago was stupid and everyone knows it was stupid then the sequel made now will be even worse?  What's an example of this?

Well, almost all sequels are more stupid than the original.

As most of us remember, the original Tron was dumb and boring except for the special effects. For decades the people that remembered Tron did so because it was bad. It was only after all this time that people started to appreciate the few things it had going for it, namely the visual aesthetic, and forgave the dumbness of the whole spectacle. Taking in account that fact, and taking in account the fact that most movies made by big studios today are very comfortable being stupid, there's no reason to believe this one will not be even more stupid than last one. BUT it will be a visual orgasm.

MacGuffin

Disney puts 'Tron Legacy' sequel in motion (exclusive)
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"Tron Legacy" isn't due until December, but Disney already is putting a sequel on its monorail track.

Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, the "Lost" writers/executive producers who worked on "Legacy," have begun writing a sequel to the studio's sci-fi tentpole.

No details have been released because it is so early in the process. Notwithstanding the question of whether the movie will be a hit, other topics to ponder are whether the sequel will focus on spinoff characters or center on a new adventure set in the "Tron" world. Insiders have suggested that Kitsis and Horowitz are working on a way to round the story into a trilogy.

No deals have been made with "Legacy" director Joseph Kosinski or cast members to return, though options were placed in the original deals, and Disney surely would hope to reunite all the elements if "Legacy" proves to be a hit. Also needing to be figured out is who would produce a sequel. Sean Bailey, a producer on "Legacy," is now Disney's president of production. 

Still, with Bailey as production head and WME-repped Kitsis and Horowitz writing more "Tron," Disney seems to be believe in what they have.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on March 10, 2010, 12:33:48 PM
what the fuck was the iSpec???

apparently this guy is fucking years ahead of his time..

iSpecs: Apple eyes up 3D future with projection glasses that will play films on the move
source: dailymail.co.uk
12th April 2010

Apple could soon be venturing into the world of 3D, after they filed a patent application for electronic spectacles that would show films on the move.

The head-mounted gadget would have a slot for an Apple iPhone or iPod.

A special 'smart' lens in the device, nicknamed iSpecs by gadget fans, would project the images from the screen so they could be viewed comfortably.

An Apple patent means film fans could soon be watching 3D movies on the go with a special headset rather than at the cinema

The lens would be able to split the image into two different frames creating a 3D effect. This could be used to watch blockbusters such as Avatar and Alice in Wonderland.

The application explained the form would allow the user to 'relax while viewing image based content on the head-mounted device because he does not have to hold onto the portable electronic device.'

The gizmo would also be fitted with a camera to stream video from the outside world. Infrared sensors embedded in the frames would detect if anyone approached the wearer, and the real-time video would pop up on a screen inside the glasses.

This would help users feel more at ease wearing the glasses in public.

A microphone and other sensors could be embedded for unique control methods, such as voice control.

The applicatino adds: 'Accelerometers on the head-mounted device and/or the portable electronic device can be used to detect the user's head movements.

'The head-mounted device... can associate a particular head movement with a command for controlling an operating of the head-mounted display system.'

The patent plans were submitted by Apple in August 2008, but were so outlandish they were dismissed as an April Fool's joke when they were published by the company on April 1.
Now technology bloggers believe the plans are genuine as the US Patent and Technology Office are unlikely to have agreed to be part of a hoax.

Apple has certainly never been afraid of forging into new markets, making waves with both the iPhone and most recently with the iPad.

An Apple spokesman said the company did not comment on patents.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Finally, I can watch 3D movies while driving!
My house, my rules, my coffee