The Evil Dead Trilogy

Started by NEON MERCURY, October 03, 2003, 12:50:00 AM

NEON MERCURY

i have not seen TED 2..so will hold off until my vote..
but would like to hear/see  others opinions on these films..

Cecil

Ghostboy

Clearly the best of the bunch is Evil Dead 2, one of the greatest movies ever made.

MacGuffin

Tough call. "Evil Dead" is definitely one of the best scary-horror movies ever made. It has many genuine scares without seeing them coming. "Evil Dead 2" is one of the best, if the best, comedy-horror movies ever. And both are full of great camera tricks and shots. "Army" doesn't really follow in the previous two's footsteps in terms of one-upping the film that came before it, but is still hilarious. I could pick one or two on any given day.

I cannot recommended this book enough:

Any fan of these films must have it. Everything you want to know about the trilogy and the people who made them is all told in detail.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

oakmanc234

It is a hard one because part 1 is so creepy & unnerving
BUT
the 2nd is so insane and a lot more fun
BUT
the 3rd is so funny & action-packed

I'll go with 'Dead by Dawn' because its a slicker, crazier, more enjoyable version of part 1 and though 'Army' is a helluva lot of fun, it aint scary or dark enough.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Weak2ndAct

Gotta go w/ part dos.  The tightest, creepiest, and craziest of the 3.

MacGuffin

Quote from: stuart braithwaitenumber 21043/50000

Mine is:

41753/50000

Also have:

24428/30000
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

I love them all, but if you have to identify the best I think 2 takes the evil cake. It's the best mixture of the comedy horror elements as shown below on my Donnie Darko-ed scale.

Comedy <--Army of Darkness------------Evil Dead II--------------Evil Dead--> Horror
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

horrorchick76

Evil Dead is CLEARLY the bestest..  :twisted:  :shock:
poo

Gamblour.

Wow, I'm surprised so many people picked the second, I was just unaware of how much people love that movie. I saw AOD first, that's definitely my favorite, then Evil Dead, and then Evil Dead 2. I never thought Evil Dead 2 was that funny. But it's probably because I was expecting it to be like Army of Darkness.
WWPTAD?

modage

i have this too.  clearly a trick question as there is no best.  they are all incredible for different reasons.  as macguffin said, the first is a great horror movie.  and is geniunely scary and creepy and great.  the second one, the ash character becomes a little more developed and it blends the scares with slapstick comedy while basically re-telling the first movie with a bigger budget.  the third one, while having nothing to do with horror is where ash's character is fully developed into one of cinemas all-time badasses and is fucking hilarious all the way through.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

indiana

the only question i have is. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THE TREE RAPPING THAT GIRL IN EVIL DEAD ONE????
SONIC BOOM!

Cecil

well... its evil, what do you expect it to do?

MacGuffin

Quote from: indianaWHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THE TREE RAPPING THAT GIRL IN EVIL DEAD ONE????

Take your pick:

1.) The tree was sporting some wood for her.
2.) It's bark was worse that it's bite.
3.) It wanted to make sure no one leaves.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: indianaWHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THE TREE RAPPING THAT GIRL IN EVIL DEAD ONE????

Take your pick:

1.) The tree was sporting some wood for her.
2.) It's bark was worse that it's bite.
3.) It wanted to make sure no one leaves.

Good answers. Good answers   :)

Also:
Maybe it wanted to branch out