eternal sunshine de l'mind spotless..

Started by Satcho9, February 03, 2003, 10:15:53 PM

Chest Rockwell

Ernie

Quote from: Chest RockwellI think P is referring to me. :oops:

Oh come on man, if he was referring to anybody, he was more likely referring to me. You've barely said a word. I'll admit it, I have gushed a lot more than any one person should using a lot more words than any one person is entitled to use in the praising of a lot more movies than most have ever praised....citing everything (the directing, the acting, the hot chicks) at once just as he said these people would/have.

But I don't even know if he was referring to anybody. Either way, I don't really care. Just for the record, there's not enough good movies out each year so I really do have to obsess over each and every precious one. And if people can have a 5 year orgy over LOTR, I can most definitely have a post's worth of gush over Eternal Sunshine. Or even more than that if I want. Wasn't one of "the reasons why we like ebeaman" because I get excited about everything after all? If it annoys anybody, just ban me cause I'm afraid I can't voluntarily stop.

modage

Quote from: Pubricki just hope that we don't hav sumone who's so obsessed with it that they can't stop talking about it and ends up making me like it less, cos they just won't shut up about it.

unless that person is me.
oh please god.  i hope so too.  i will say with all the great things this mb has done, the one downside for me personally is this very issue.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Pubricki just hope that we don't hav sumone who's so obsessed with it that they can't stop talking about it and ends up making me like it less, cos they just won't shut up about it.

unless that person is me.
oh please god.  i hope so too.  i will say with all the great things this mb has done, the one downside for me personally is this very issue.

i'm just curious...for anyone here what film/actor/actress/whatever was ruined for you by  this type of behavior.......?

i'll go first:
-too much PTA praise.i like the guy .but ..damn i thoguht i was lynch crazy... :wink: .....but i do know the origins of this board so its expected.. 8)

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ernie

Quote from: themodernage02lost in translation.

I second that. I can't say I absolutely LOVED it initially but how much I did like it was definitely tainted by all the hype. Not just on the boards though. Now all I really like about it is Bill Murray. He was my favorite part upon my first viewing as well so my whole view of it was really only diminished very slightly. On the other hand, it made me flat out HATE "The Virgin Suicides".

Chest Rockwell

Well I was referring to my Lost in Translation-period.

EDIT: Whoops! Seems I'm late. Three posts magically appeared while I was writing my short little post.

Ernie

Quote from: Chest RockwellWell I was referring to my Lost in Translation-period.

Oh oh oh, I see I see. I was just saying cause he could be referring to a number of different periods with me (ATRG above all). But still, I can almost assure you, your not as much of an annoyance to him, lol.....yet anyway. I can definitely assure you that your of no annoyance to me.....for what that's worth, lol.

Sleuth

I don't remember any painful Lost In Translation period
I like to hug dogs

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Taz
Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Man, people at Xixax obviously don't know the difference between original music and pre-recorded music. This whole thing is crap. The obvious winners are Kevin Shields and Brian Reitzell. The music from LIT was so airy and dreamy. Perfectly fit the mood of the entire film.

GAH! SHUT UP ALREADY!

sorry, it's just that the whole 'ooh, lost in translation is the bestest movie ever' thing is really getting to me. i liked it too, but enough is enough.

i voted finding nemo. parts of that score gave me the chills. especially the part where they have to "swim down."
[/quote]

Ernie

samsong

amen to what just about everyone has said thus far...

i'll have to admit though that during the second act, where his memory starts to get erased, i got a bit exasperated.  from a technical aspect, it was genius, but that's no surprise when you're dealing with something created by Michel Gondry.  but i felt detached... it didn't grasp me emotionally... i guess it became one of those "admire, not love" things where I'm awed by what I see but couldn't care less about it.  but the film -- and this is what i love about it -- grows, it matures.  Kaufman's earlier work, though brilliant, tended to downward spiral in its logic and unravel into a sort of mess which he usually cleaned up well by the end. That isn't necessary with this film. This is Kaufman's best work as a screenwriter and only deepends my perception of him as being contemporary cinema's most original mind.  A testament to Kaufman's genius is how familiar Eternal Sunshine... feels when compared to Being John Malkovich or Adaptation.  Granted all three films have been directed by geniuses who started out doing music videos but there are stark similarities in the visions that are provoked by Charlie's screenplays.  That's powerful writing... I can only wait in anticipation for the films to come.  I haven't seen Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (should i?) so he has a perfect track record in my mind.

What starts out as some of the craziest, seemingly stream of conciousness narrative evolves into something so surprisingly beautiful and resonant.  Gondry's childlike "innocence" gives the film an unmistakably indearing quality that is evident in his music videos/short films as well... it's the quality i love about him the most.  There's a freshness to the imagery and some EXCELLENT storytelling.  Gondry is an incredible visionary, as displayed by the extremely virtuoso storytelling evident in Eternal Sunshine... I'm so jealous of his ability to come up with the shit he does because I don't think I could.  Then again, Michel Gondry is Michel Gondry, one and only.

Jim Carrey's never been better, and holy shit I loved Kate Winslet as Clementine.  She gives Eva Green's Isabelle a run for her money in what I feel will be a definite contender in the best actress race.  Mark Ruffalo continues to please.  I think he's great and is, if anything, underused... in the right movies, anyway.  Eternal Sunshine... is the first time I've seen a film with Kirsten Dunst where I didn't want to kill her; she was good.  Elijah Wood, on the other hand, I can't stand.  Appropriately casted however, as he plays a complete loser.  Tom Wilkinson, what can I say.   Gorgeous, gorgeous cinematography and ridiculously remarkable editing.  There's nothing more that can be said about Gondry other than the fact that he is a genius.

My only complaint is how immature (as opposed to endearing childishness) the film feels... but it's fun as hell, so it's not much of a complaint at all.  In the end, I found myself significantly moved and fully satisfied.  After I saw The Dreamers I told myself that I wouldn't see a better film this year and it's still true, but Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind comes in a FUCKING close second.

ono

I want the DVD already.  When you want the DVD less than six hours after having finished watching the movie, you know it's a good one.  That is all.

Oh, and what samsong is pretty swizzeet.  Except I didn't once feel detached.  The movie was just too powerful, both technically and emotionally, for me anyway.  Me, though, I think I like Eternal Sunshine just a smidgen more than The Dreamers.  Yep, smidgen is a word.  Cool word as that, though not as cool as "canoodling."  2004 is looking great either way.

Find Your Magali

I'll be interested in my reaction to seeing this a second time.

During the opening segment, I found myself just trying to follow the action, pick up clues and not get lost in what was going on.

But as things became clearer during the middle part of the film, I found that opening segment holding so much more meaning, and I am looking forward to cherishing how much the beginning resonates during a repeat viewing.

By the way, though it's been said repeatedly, it bears one more mention: Jon Brion flat-out rules.

ono

SPOILERS.

I could tell the opening would be special from the getgo.  Didn't you just love that all there was was the Focus Features logo then Jim Carrey sleeping.  I love it when movies start like that.  Too bad they didn't pull an Apocalypse Now and leave it at that -- no credits at all.  No, that was too daring.  But still, I thought it was such a nice touch that that opening scene was so LONG.  It really added weight to his meeting between the two.  And that it wasn't their first meeting, when you go back and think about that fact, and then their interaction, and piece together Elijah's character coming in, and it becomes even more powerful.