Hellboy

Started by modage, November 12, 2003, 12:24:07 PM

Raikus

That was a great trailer!

I love that they left the oversized hands as part of Hellboy's character design. All too often they design the characters with too much realism (usually putting an actor in spandex with a healthy dose of cgi power). Looks like they remained true to the character's personality as well--sarcastic, tough-as-nails--Pearlman was an excellent choice.

And it's got Nazi's. It has to be a good movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Leatherface

I agree, the trailer was superb!

I thought it was really cool that Dimmu Borgir was in there! :twisted:

RegularKarate

Yeah.. what the fuck?  Dimmu in an American movie trailer?

What's the world coming to?

cowboykurtis

this looks like a SACK of shit. some of the worst costumes/make-up in a long time -- the production value of this film looks like that piece of shit show THE TICK.
...your excuses are your own...

Raikus

Actually, to me, it looks like a near perfect transition from the comic to the screen as far as Hellboy's design. I talked before about the character designs having too much realism involved with them. That's exactly what The Tick did. It was people in suits and, in Tick's case, suits that didn't seem to fit very well.

I see no similarities between Hellboy and Tick.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: cowboykurtisthis looks like a SACK of shit. some of the worst costumes/make-up in a long time -- the production value of this film looks like that piece of shit show THE TICK.

Cheer up Charlie, they'll make a more realistic Strawberry Shortcake the movie SOME DAY...

also, here's a fork... you may want to clean it for when you have to eat your words.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: cowboykurtisthis looks like a SACK of shit. some of the worst costumes/make-up in a long time -- the production value of this film looks like that piece of shit show THE TICK.

Cheer up Charlie, they'll make a more realistic Strawberry Shortcake the movie SOME DAY...

also, here's a fork... you may want to clean it for when you have to eat your words.

this seems to be a very sensitve subject for you. i will think before insulting your beloved HELLBOY. you sure showed me. can i have my fork now please -- you have proved me wrong. YOU are the man. This movie is going to be sweet, and when I attend my comicbook club next month to debate the political effect that spawn has had on upper middle class suburbs, i will humbly admit that you have opened my eyes to the utter SWEETNESS of this comicbook icon. HELLBOY, i salute you.

modage

whats wrong with comic books?  are films somehow more intellectual?  or more important as art?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

this guy's head is insanely large.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: themodernage02whats wrong with comic books?  are films somehow more intellectual?  or more important as art?

i wouldnt say more important, but they definately have a larger affect. have no problem with comic books.

kotte

The trailer's cool but it feels like it's only purpose is to show the audience what they can do with a computer.
You know the part when Hellboy slams his hand in the front of the car causing it to flip? That's clearly a 'look how great spfx we have in this movie!' moment, not a 'the story and characters pulls you in' moment. Why are these (Hellboy, the Hulk, Matrix seq) trailers always about showing off the cool effects? Because there are no intriguing plot or interesting characters to make people come to the theatre. See what I mean?

RegularKarate

Quote from: cowboykurtis
this seems to be a very sensitve subject for you. i will think before insulting your beloved HELLBOY. you sure showed me. can i have my fork now please -- you have proved me wrong. YOU are the man. This movie is going to be sweet, and when I attend my comicbook club next month to debate the political effect that spawn has had on upper middle class suburbs, i will humbly admit that you have opened my eyes to the utter SWEETNESS of this comicbook icon. HELLBOY, i salute you.

haha... I just read this.

Clearly it's more of a "sensitive subject" for you, sour pants.

I was kidding around because you know nothing about this movie and were like "This movie's gonna be a sack of shit! I'm grumpy!".

I don't even OWN any of the comics (though I've read them)... I just know how much passion Del Torro is putting into this movie and really respect him.  I think it's going to be good.

MacGuffin

This poster is the latest masterpiece from Drew Struzan, and it will sadly NOT be the official one-sheet for Hellboy. It was determined that the current photo-centric posters were better for Davey McJasons in Omaha and it makes sense. This poster debuts now, and will be available in comic shops near you, so be there while they're available. Guillermo hinted that the first 100 of the limited 5,000 may be signed by he and Struzan, but that's TBA.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

...the onnly thing that looked stupid in the trailer was the costumes.....especially the guy in the middle of the poster that Mac posted.....(the guy with the two Campbell soup cans sticking out of his farhead)........it just looks kind of cheesy........but there is always hope.......

modage

thats a great fucking poster.  Drew Struzan cant get NO LOVE anymore man.  he was the king of the fucking awesome posters a decade or two ago.  now everythings just photoshopped heads, its terrible.  i still think that Lord of the Rings was one of the biggest missed opportunities for 3 GREAT Drew posters instead of the 3 lame, lamest, and lamer ones that we have.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.