Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Find Your Magali

Also, if the huge grains of salt are true, that would make this his first film set in modern day since Punch-Drunk Love.

One thing that's stuck in my head is that PTA is now roughly the same age Altman was when he made Nashville, a sprawling, shaggy tale that was absolutely in touch with the political zeitgeist of the moment. (Full credit to Joan Tewkesbury for that, too)

Heisenberg

If this is true, it further fuels my speculation that this is going to be about what PTA(and many more of us) fear might happen. I think the rumor about the Sci fi angle means it's taking place in a future dystopian fascist vision of America.

Find Your Magali

Another tiny thought that crossed my mind as we ruminate upon various grains of salt. If this is a deeply political movie, it's going to make more sense from at least a couple perspectives to have it released prior to November 2024

Heisenberg

RudyBlatnoyd

I'm doubtful that PTA is going to suddenly turn into Adam McKay or Ruben Östlund (god forbid!) and make an on-the-nose political satire about America's current predicament, even if it probably would help his Oscar chances. I imagine it will be as oblique as all his recent work. A family drama about a bunch of weirdos associated with a gym, perhaps...

ono

What do we think of this from reddit?

QuoteOn the latest Hot Mic episode, Jeff Sneider received more info on the PTA project. He's hearing that he is developing two films. One of which is the father daughter story. The other is about veterans in their 50s.

DickHardwood2022

Quote from: ono on March 02, 2023, 10:04:38 PMWhat do we think of this from reddit?

QuoteOn the latest Hot Mic episode, Jeff Sneider received more info on the PTA project. He's hearing that he is developing two films. One of which is the father daughter story. The other is about veterans in their 50s.

To be honest and i could be wrong but has Jeff ever given info on a PTA project that turned out to be true?

Filmland_Empire

First time poster, long time lurker. Take it with a grain of salt, but got an update via Hollywood insider account this morning that reads - "Regina Hall, Rachael Taylor, Joaquin Phoenix, Viggo Mortensen are all in talks to join the cast of Paul Thomas Anderson's next film. Movie is about a young black girl who trains in martial arts. Leo DiCaprio is in talks to play her mentor."

Who knows if it's true, but this account has been spot on lately with other casting announcements before the trades.

Find Your Magali

Since it's all just smoke & grains of salt, I'll add that Rachael Taylor could certainly pull off the "younger Marjorie Taylor Greene but not ACTUALLY Marjorie Taylor Greene" inspired-by cameo.

DickHardwood2022

These new names brought up and the plot are so random it almost has to be true. however all it takes is for some people to just say random shit and get us all going, so who knows.

I think all of us were surprised when we first heard Pau was making a "fashion" film and look how that turned out. So is him potentially doing some sort of martial arts films that out there.

RudyBlatnoyd

Joaquin and Viggo together in a PTA movie? That would be verrrry nice.

Drill

I'm mostly confused as to who Rachael Taylor is and why she would be listed before Joaquin and Viggo.

I haven't read Vineland (though I'm guessing it's just inspiring this new project) but Leo, Joaquin *and* Viggo all being in this seems a bit difficult to believe. Maybe 2 out of those 3.

itwasgood

Assuming by the logic of the hypothesis that it's Vineland adaptation, Viggo would make a great Brock Vond. Though Joaquin as Zoyd maybe? would more or less be Doc Sportello all over again. Leo as "the mentor" seems confusing because I don't think there's such male character in Vineland.

gaucho_marx

Quote from: itwasgood on March 10, 2023, 11:38:00 AMAssuming by the logic of the hypothesis that it's Vineland adaptation, Viggo would make a great Brock Vond. Though Joaquin as Zoyd maybe? would more or less be Doc Sportello all over again. Leo as "the mentor" seems confusing because I don't think there's such male character in Vineland.

I can't remember where the 'PTA is going to adapt Vineland' talk stems from but it has always seemed like a reach for me. Especially pretty much nothing about the current rumor mill seems to suggest it? It's been a while since I read Vineland but I don't remember a 14 yr old female karate kid character. If anything maybe he's taken some of the vibe and themes of Vineland and will be doing his own thing with it sorta like TWBB. Maybe he's been mulling over Reagonomics and tube addicted weirdos in Southern California in the 80s.

Vicko99

Quote from: gaucho_marx on March 10, 2023, 03:34:42 PM
Quote from: itwasgood on March 10, 2023, 11:38:00 AMAssuming by the logic of the hypothesis that it's Vineland adaptation, Viggo would make a great Brock Vond. Though Joaquin as Zoyd maybe? would more or less be Doc Sportello all over again. Leo as "the mentor" seems confusing because I don't think there's such male character in Vineland.

I can't remember where the 'PTA is going to adapt Vineland' talk stems from but it has always seemed like a reach for me. Especially pretty much nothing about the current rumor mill seems to suggest it? It's been a while since I read Vineland but I don't remember a 14 yr old female karate kid character. If anything maybe he's taken some of the vibe and themes of Vineland and will be doing his own thing with it sorta like TWBB. Maybe he's been mulling over Reagonomics and tube addicted weirdos in Southern California in the 80s.

"Female 14 year old karate kid" is literally the main character of the novel