Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

kingfan011

So with the SAG strike looking to end somewhat soon hopefully we'll start getting more tidbits on this

Find Your Magali

It may well be accurate, but we've officially reached the Jordan Ruimy recycling his own PTA/DiCaprio scuttlebutt stage of the actors strike

Rooty Poots

Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

Drill

d

I guess you guys have seen that already but in case you have not:
https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/11/7/122xuvq1mni1urs7gpsmirw3a9rg3y

Still the same source and not much more but at least SOMETHING.
Did not recognize PTA at first on this poster thing.

Find Your Magali

If they wrap by late February/early March, you could certainly see Christmas 2024 in play.

Otherwise, are we waiting all the way until .... Christmas 2025??

kingfan011

Come on ones in the know you must have some more new details

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Find Your Magali on November 08, 2023, 01:48:07 PMIf they wrap by late February/early March, you could certainly see Christmas 2024 in play.

Otherwise, are we waiting all the way until .... Christmas 2025??

OTOH the second half of 2024 is going to be so STUFFED with stuff that got pushed back by the strike that they probably won't want to force PTA into that mix. So second half of 2025 it is, likely. Two years. Sigh.

wilberfan

More "details"...

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/11/8/9bknu6zqg2amke87vqqljaamoqq81z

Some additional details on Paul Thomas Anderson's next film can be found via Daniel Richtman's Patreon page.

I would like to believe that what Richtman has here is accurate information. In the past, he's been more right than wrong with his intel. The details given surely hint at PTA adapting Thomas Pynchon's "Vineland," which has been the hot rumor for months now.

It will be about a young girl of Mixed Ethnicity, Junior High/Freshman Student who is physically athletic and excels at Martial Arts. Leonardo DiCaprio is attached to play her mentor.

Regina Hall is attached to play DL CHASTAIN, a martial arts expert and ninja. She is the daughter of a military family that moves around the world. While in Japan, she is approached by a martial arts instructor who teaches her the secret ways of the ninja, including how to kill with a touch that takes a year to work.

She is recruited by mobster Ralph Wayvone to assassinate Brock Vond while posing as a prostitute, but accidentally gives the death touch to Takeshi Fumimota, who has been sent in Vond's place after the plot was discovered.

Back in late November, PTA's producer and casting director, Cassandra Kulukundis, posted a casting call that was looking for a "teenage girl who excels at Martial Arts".

PTA has mentioned the novel, "Vineland," numerous times over the years, and in a 2014 Time Out interview he even insinuated that he tried to script it: "I'd wanted to adapt "Vineland", but I never had the courage. It seemed to be a great way to translate [Pynchon] into a movie.

He's called the novel "borderline pathological" in another interview with IndieWire. Here's PTA elaborating on his unadorned love for Pynchon:

"I am the type of person who hears there's a new Pynchon book, and I will go to the Internet five times a minute to see what new information there is. I am that pathological about it. So, when I heard there was a new book, I was just waiting and waiting for it to come out." 

Pynchon's "Inherent Vice" was already turned by PTA into a polarizing 2014 film. He's been citing the author's many novels since the '90s. There was no reason to brush off the theory that he'd want to adapt Pynchon again and, if Richtman is correct, then another one is coming very soon.

RudyBlatnoyd

I'm not buying the Vineland rumours. Obviously he does have a project ready to go, but the assumption that it's Vineland appears to be based on nothing except the fact that we know PTA likes the novel and that casting call for a teen martial artist. From those scant facts, WOR and others have seemingly done a quick scan of the synopsis of Vineland and are passing it off as a 'scoop' about his next feature.

Having said that, if the premise really is as wild as that article suggests then I am definitely intrigued (although obviously I'm intrigued regardless, it's a new PTA film!).

pynchonikon

Based on Richtman's report, it's highly probable he just borrows the premise of the book, focus on certain aspects of the story that he finds interesting and do his own thing.
Which is potentially more intriguing than trying to make another deferential Pynchon adaptation to the letter.

Tdog

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on November 09, 2023, 03:45:44 AMI'm not buying the Vineland rumours. Obviously he does have a project ready to go, but the assumption that it's Vineland appears to be based on nothing except the fact that we know PTA likes the novel and that casting call for a teen martial artist. From those scant facts, WOR and others have seemingly done a quick scan of the synopsis of Vineland and are passing it off as a 'scoop' about his next feature.

Having said that, if the premise really is as wild as that article suggests then I am definitely intrigued (although obviously I'm intrigued regardless, it's a new PTA film!).

I feel like the Vineland thing was a game of telephone that happened because some of us here thought the casting call sounded vaguely like a character from the book, the dirtsheets/rumour mill took our speculation and reported it, then we took the rumour mill's writing (which was our idea) and the cycle kept repeating itself.

Find Your Magali

The incomplete Richtman premise sounds like "Get Shorty"-level Elmore Leonard infused with some Tarantino shenanigans.

Which is to say, color me skeptical.

Rooty Poots

I keep thinking back to those weird rumors of a Marjorie Taylor Greene character and wondering if there's anything to that. It almost seems too bonkers and off-the-wall to be nothing.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

RudyBlatnoyd

The question is: if PTA makes it at Warner Bros, will we ever get to see it, or will it be shut in a vault for a tax write-off by David Zaslav, one of the USA's most thoroughly objectionable public figures?