The Skin I Live In

Started by wilder, February 14, 2011, 05:15:47 PM

wilder

Teaser Poster For Pedro Almodóvar's 'The Skin That I Inhabit'
via The Playlist

With Cannes around the corner, it's pretty much a certainty that Pedro Almodóvar will arrive on the Croisette with canisters for his latest, "The Skin That I Inhabit," under his arms. The film was picked up last fall by Sony Pictures Classics, continuing their long-standing relationship with the director but for those of you following the film's development, this is new and disturbing territory for the director and teaser artwork continues to push the idea that is unlike anything we've seen from the helmer before. We're pretty sure the flowery, quasi-medical art you'll see below will look wryly ironic once we've seen the film.

"The Skin That I Inhabit" is a revenge picture based on crime novelist Theirry Jonque's 2005 book, "Tarantula," about a plastic surgeon's revenge on the man who raped his daughter. But really, that's just scratching the surface. You can read the full synopsis of the book here, but in short, this is a film that has a loathsome protagonist who, while seeking justice for his daughter, keeps his wife imprisoned and subjects her to humiliating sexual acts with strangers.

The film stars Antonio Banderas, Elena Anaya, Marisa Paredes, Jan Cornet, Roberto Alamo, Blanca Suárez, Eduard Fernández, José Luis Gómez, Bárbara Lennie, Susi Sánchez, Fernando Cayo and Teresa Manresa. Longtime collaborators such as composer Alberto Iglesias, DoP Jose Luis Alcaine and editor José Salcedo are once again in the mix. Check out the artwork below.

Release Date - October 14, 2011

Jeremy Blackman

Talk To Her and About My Mother are two of my favorite movies. But I thought Volver was unredeemably boring and pointless.

So yeah, he needs a comeback. The trailer looks amazing.

E: Haha, just found out that Broken Embraces exists. I'll have to watch it.

samsong

premise and teaser have me hooked.  this looks (like it could be) fantastic.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

The John James Audubon poster art is fantastic.

"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Stefen

I really hate this new title. What was wrong with The Skin That I Inhabit? It was perfect. CLASSY. It wasn't so boring. The Skin I Live In sucks as a title. The Skin That I Inhabit was so much better.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

samsong

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 08, 2011, 09:24:22 PM
E: Haha, just found out that Broken Embraces exists. I'll have to watch it.

bad education is really good, but i do think he peaked with the two you mentioned.  (haven't seen a lot of his early films. law of desire is supposed to be incredible.)

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

I didn't consider this film's connection to Georges Franju's Eyes without a Face until Glenn Erickson mentioned it.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Pubrick

I didn't consider this film's connection to Georges Franju's Eyes without a Face until sundown all over mentioned it.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 08, 2011, 09:24:22 PMJust found out that Broken Embraces exists. I'll have to watch it.

I did get around to watching Broken Embraces...

It has a very interesting structure, and it's extremely subtle in that signature Almodovar style. Definitely a step back up from Volver. It's not a serious or mindblowing film, but it's quite perfect in its own way.

Even if you're not interested in the movie, watch the sequence that goes from 1:00:20 to 1:05:28... This is one of the most genius Almodovar scenes ever. The thing at the end. You'll know what I mean.

Stefen

You should post that in the actual thread.

Pertinent bumped old threads are one of the best things about this site.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

If search was still around, that would be more doable. Most of us will play amnesiac to old threads.

Stefen

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on June 30, 2011, 01:25:12 AM
If search was still around, that would be more doable. Most of us will play amnesiac to old threads.

I just go through whatever the forum I think the thread I want to post in will be in and just search the browser window for the name in the sub-forum I think it will be under. Rarely is it over 10 pages you have to search.

I love waking up in the morning, checking my bookmark for unread xixax (set this as your bookmark, fer real http://xixax.com/index.php?action=unread) and seeing all kinds of new pages

Also, this looks fucking intense.

wilder

Release date moved to October 14