V For Vendetta

Started by Ghostboy, March 04, 2005, 11:57:22 PM

Reinhold

Quote from: Walrus on March 17, 2006, 06:42:05 PM
The more I thought about this movie the less I feel for it.  I think that, as a film, V for Vendetta is to anarchy what Crash is to racism.

i agree, except that it requires the audience to do a little more thinking than crash did.

with crash, it's fine if you take everything they feed you at face value, cause their purpose is overwhelmingly obvious and beaten to death.

at least with V for vendetta, the audience has to actually look at the characters' reaction to the end while thinking about what the movie means to society.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

NEON MERCURY

from the early word of mouth from you guys it seems like this film is what i though it would be-a letdown...i sort of figured it anyways from the previews..its an obscure dorky comic book character that appeals to people like us [socially challanged] and its from those uber-douches lary and andy and one of those guys is more fucked up than new york inner city youth...i'll wait for mod's review for a decision about theater or renting...mod is a great baromoter when it comes to films like this...i've seen his lists and he does equal parts art house and popcorn flicks...i'm predicting a C+

The Red Vine

no, it's better than Crash. yea it's obvious at times and has some cheesy parts. but it has some smart stuff in there. Portman is great except for the accent (which comes in and out). and still beautiful (even with a shaved head). couldn't stop thinking of Sinead.

anyways, it's not perfect but I enjoyed it FAR more than the Matrix films.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

i hate to be so predictable but i have to agree with most everyone here.  even though i've never read the book i really liked how especially in the beginning of the film, it really felt like a comic.  but like samsong mentioned, the film seemed to stumble as it went along and couldn't keep its momentum.  i think there were better dystopian films made in the 80s like Robocop, but back then there was no controversy about people extrapolating on current events for fiction like there is for this movie.  so when you strip away the shock of the parallels, the film itself is not that great.  it's great that it got made and it's as good as it is, but not great alone.  that said, i liked the film, but i think i liked it better than it actually is.  its nothing like the matrix, but the matrix is a much better film.  (the sequels are dead to me.  there are no matrix 'films', only one).  but i enjoyed myself a lot and it made me want to read a bunch of graphic novels, so  :yabbse-thumbup:
Quote from: pyramid machine on March 17, 2006, 08:31:47 PM
C+
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Neil

My mistake on calling the Sin city a vertigo, when in fact is a dark horse, i guess i just kind of consider it to be more along the lines of something that would be on vertigo, little more racy than most stuff.

Sorry.

Did you guys really think this film (along with crash) was all that didactic?

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

The Red Vine

Quote from: Neil on March 18, 2006, 12:50:15 PM
Did you guys really think this film (along with crash) was all that didactic?

shhhhh keep it down. there's been heated discussions about Crash for months. we kinda don't need another one on the Vendetta thread. we all need to move on. you can see for yourself on the Crash thread.

"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

killafilm

I had a fun time.  Nothing terrible or great here.  I'm surprised that this movie was made.  I feel that you can say that, all of the individual parts are greater than the whole, and that the whole is greater than the parts, and either would be true.  It's weird I really like all of the performances, except John Hurt (ie hello Hitler) and everything else, but I guess it's all just so average it can go either way.  At least for me.  But I'll welcome 'smart' genre pictures any day.

last days of gerry the elephant

The last fight scene was worth it.
I agree with most of you about the forced love sub-plot, problems with continuity, and a little spoon fed... okay maybe not just a little. The whole idea about coincidences was nice, could have been executed better though.

Pas

They should have had a real director.

McfLy

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas Rap on March 18, 2006, 06:50:56 PM
They should have had a real director.
this is the exact reason why this was doomed from the start. sure, it was good to give some jerk AD a chance, but could he really have been expected to deliver something of pre-transexual-era Wachowski quality? wachowskis shoulda known, being a female director is tough, let alone trying to direct through a glorified AD.
under the paving stones.

SiliasRuby

Saw this also tonight and unless you are a right wing extremist you'll enjoy it. I am not going to reiterrate what has already been said so I'll leave you with something new: the song that ran when the credits "Street Fighting Man", fit perfectly. I LOVE The Stones
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Neil

SpoilerSpoilers
Although i didn't see that tune coming, i thought it was highly appropriate...Great choice.  It caught me off guard because the rest of the films music wasn't like that at all as far as i remember, i could be wrong however. (I wasn't sure if i should have put the spoilers thing in there or not, i was just being safe, didn't want to make anyone mad)

©brad

the song was great, as was the movie.

Neil

Spoilers

even though the wachowski fellas didn't direct this, i seems like James McTeigue attempted to make a few sequences look wachowski/matrix esque.  Although he obviously didn't emulate this very well, i still got that vibe during a few shots.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or was i way off base with this?