V For Vendetta

Started by Ghostboy, March 04, 2005, 11:57:22 PM

Kal

people are so stupid

its still too soon to tell what this will be... lets wait

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Must have trailer now!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

kind of spoilers,

will the london bombings affect this?  
i hope so. it seems impossible that a hollywood movie will deal with the matters that the grovel does . any guesses on how will they fluff everything?will they change the word anarchy for democracy?
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: cronopiokind of spoilers,

will the london bombings affect this?  
i hope so. it seems impossible that a hollywood movie will deal with the matters that the grovel does . any guesses on how will they fluff everything?will they change the word anarchy for democracy?
i started re-reading this last week and was thinking that as soon as the bombings happened.  :shock:

the subject of terrorism was always gonna be a problem. now with london hit, i think the marketing department will definitely hav difficulties.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

I think it will be fine, maybe delay the release an extra 6 months. After 9/11 we all thought there would never be movies about destruction of cities but it turns out those are the money makers.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

this one's different, though.

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2005: V for Vendetta Panel
Portman and the producers discuss the film amidst a sea of idolators.

Following the first-ever footage shown of the political thriller V for Vendetta, several key players in the film's development took the stage to field questions from the audience. On hand were artist David Lloyd, who worked with Alan Moore to create V for Vendetta, producers Joel Silver and Grant Hill, and actress Natalie Portman.

The filmmakers talked about Alan Moore's lack of involvement in the project, how the team worked together and what it's like to adapt such detailed source material. Of course, many of the questions were aimed at Portman's involvement in this and other films.

David Lloyd fielded the first inevitable Alan Moore question. Moore did not want to be involved in the project and publicly spoke out against the film, even though he no longer owns the rights (Joel Silver bought them in 1988). "Alan has his own view of things. [He] would only be happy with a complete book-to-film adaptation."

Producer Joel Silver added that Moore is a "visionary, genius, gifted guy… I keep finding my way back to him." Although Moore isn't involved in the project, Silver repeatedly acknowledged the brilliance of his vision.

Speaking about the people who are involved with the project, Natalie Portman had nothing but praise for her colleagues. "On V we had such an amazing group of people," she said. "I try to work with directors who are collaborative and who I trust." She also praised Hugo Weaving and his contribution to the film. Of the Wachowski Brothers, who also produced the film, she said they are "brilliant, focused people; really down to Earth."

To prepare for the role, Portman "read a lot and watched documentaries that I thought were related." She studied Twelfth Night, Macbeth and the film The Weather Underground to get a handle on the material. Of course, she also pored through the graphic novel, calling it "incredibly rich."

Since the film is so politically charged, a couple of the audience questions were directed at how it will play in the current political climate. "This is a really good time for this movie," said Silver. "It's a controversial movie and it's a controversial time."

"Society has actually become a lot more like the one we claim here," said Lloyd. "I think it's important that we try to understand terrorists… It's gonna be healthy to understand what leads someone to terrorism."

Much of the rest of the panel was taken up with admiration of Natalie Portman, and requests from the crowd (one fan asked her to recreate a unique moment from Garden State, rendering it ironically not unique). Ultimately, the panel provided as much insight into the psyches of fans in attendance as it did about V for Vendetta.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comic-Con 2005: V for Vendetta Trailer Impressions
The first footage of this controversial thriller was shown, and we've got the details!

The first-ever footage of V for Vendetta was shown this morning at Comic-Con in San Diego. Based on the graphic novel about terrorism and vengeance, the Warner Bros. movie is being produced by the Wachowski Brothers, who are most famous for creating The Matrix franchise. Before a panel of the film's producers and star Natalie Portman were brought out, the film's first trailer premiered.

Alan Moore, the creative force behind V, no longer owns the rights to the material (The rights to V for Vendetta were acquired in 1988 by Joel Silver, at the same time he locked in rights to Watchmen), and has publicly spoken out against the film, fueling fan speculation about the quality of the project. The trailer should allay some of those fears, because it appears to stay true to the style and design of the graphic novel.

Although fans have already witnessed the mask of the titular character V (Hugo Weaving) from the poster art, there are plenty more glimpses of the rogue in the trailer. When coupled with the black garb, boots and knives, V looks menacing, indeed.

Filled with action, V for Vendetta promises many fight sequences, most of which appear to involve flying knives. The film employs a trail effect on them that is rather stunning. In fact, all of the effects, mainly used during fight sequences, look great.

Most of the trailer is spent inter-cutting between these fight scenes, and others where government agents capture and attempt to break down Evey Hammond (Natalie Portman), accosting her in the street, imprisoning her, and as we've all heard, shaving her hair.

There is fascist-style imagery abounding in the trailer, juxtaposed with images of the mayhem V causes, and the red roses he leaves on the bodies of his political victims. There is a heavy emphasis on intrigue and politics throughout.

We'll post more information about the film as soon as we get it, but from the trailer, it looks to be a smart, focused and extremely entertaining picture rife with moral gray area and solid visuals.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Trailer! Trailer!

Well, almost...a few minutes away, at least...

Kal

Very cool... I think this will be great

Myxo

Wow! I'm really glad they got Hugo Weaving and his perfect voice for this role. The trailer is really dark so I need to wait until I'm at home later tonight for a better look.

Matrix-esque shot..

i don't know if i still want this movie to fail as horribly as i wanted it to fail  before i saw this trailer. oh me oh my. will this have cheap speaches about freedom and tons of action? this is something that worries me :"Alan Moore, co-creator of the "V For Vendetta" comic, has publicly disassociated himself from the upcoming Warner Brothers movie project based on the comic book and written and produced by the Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix), and, as a result, has cut his remaining ties with DC Comics, which include future volumes of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". the books are so good that they're almost life changing, or at least changed my perception on graphic novels.

so this is how the trailer made me feel:
:ponder:  :yabbse-huh:  :yabbse-cry:  :elitist:  :crazyeyes:

Ghostboy

It'll be pretty good, but man, that's a fairly ugly trailer. All those nasty CGI titles, and what's with the stupid space spinning out of the logos?

Alan Moore's been burned too many times. I think he just wants to disassociate himself with any adaptations, period. When From Hell is as good as it gets, can you blame him?

I think (hope) they're trying to market it as an action film, so that they can then fuck with people who flock to see the next Matrix. After all, the Wachowski's did include that shot of Hitler/Bush in Matrix Reloaded...I don't think they'll pull any punches, politically.

killafilm

All I can really say is, ehh...

I don't like the fact that Adrian Biddle shot this.  Aliens and some of his earlier work looks really good.  But some of his more recent outings have been pretty terrible, ie The Mummy Returns, Holy Man.  Maybe that's just me.

Anyhoo Portman's in it, so that's ten bucks I can say goodbye to.

lamas

is anyone else scared by freaky masks like V's?