Iron Man

Started by Banky, January 05, 2004, 09:28:57 PM

MacGuffin

Favreau Has More to Say About Iron Man

We just told you about Jon Favreau starting up a MySpace community for his upcoming Iron Man project. Apparently the guy is really excited about the film, because he doesn't seem to stop talking about it. He recently shared his thoughts on the character with ifMagazine, and the guy honestly seems to know something about the character, which is positive. He said it should be a bit easier setting the film in a "realistic" world because unlike some Marvel films, Iron Man largely created his own powers though smarts and science, instead of manifesting mutant abilities. He also said the "geopolitical factors" in the story make it a bit of a tightrope to walk, but he is confident in his ability to keep it safely a comic book movie without turning it into an issues movie.  And he's excited for the costume, because he plans on using the original build early in the film and progressing to a fancier one later in the film.

Fav might have gotten a bit carried away when he called Iron Man "the most true to life comic book in the Marvel universe," but I'm still glad the guy is excited and energetic about the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Have Doubts About The 'Iron Man' Movie? Jon Favreau Wants To Hear Them
Source: MTV

Director reveals film details, takes suggestions from fans of the comic hero via MySpace.

Typically, the announcement of a big-budget blockbuster is followed by months (if not years) of avoidance. Stars, directors and producers dodge questions like jury summonses, fearing that they could reveal fan-angering character updates, in-development plot points, or build the hype to a fever pitch too early.

Jon Favreau is refusing to play that game.

The star of "Swingers" and director of "Elf" and "Zathura" was recently handed the keys to the next great superhero franchise, a highly anticipated adaptation of the five-decades-strong "Iron Man" comic series. Now a few weeks into his new gig, the lifelong comics fan is battling questions with a weapon that even Tony Stark might hesitate to unleash: honesty.

"The questions are coming on the Internet," a grinning Favreau reported this weekend. "I've got a MySpace group set up just to discuss the movie, so I welcome the input."

Favreau is making himself available to diehard fans of the gold-and-red superhero, who will step in front of a movie camera for the first time at the beginning of next year.

"It's the first movie Marvel is self-financing," he said of a new deal that frees the makers of the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men" movies from studio control. "We're set to come out in the summer of '08, and we'll start shooting in January."

Favreau insisted that he's eager to construct his movie using input from the fans — because he is one himself.

"I remember watching the Iron Man cartoons when I was younger," Favreau revealed. "I remember reading the origin stories and some of the Silver Age stuff, and I read 'The Avengers' — 'The Defenders' and then 'The Avengers,' and that sort of brought me into 'Iron Man.' "

"It was later when [Marvel Studios CEO] Avi [Arad] approached me to work on this and we discussed [the history of the character]," he continued. "And then I did a lot more research, and really learned everything that has happened in the last 40 years."

Created in 1963 as an anti-communist hero, Iron Man originally played off national defense concerns and technological advancement themes of that period. The hero's alter ego is (with the exception of occasional fill-ins) Tony Stark, an American industrialist billionaire living out a Bruce Wayne-type life of privilege. His virtually impenetrable armor allows him to soar through the air, possess superhuman strength and unleash everything from repulsor beams to magnetic fields and holograms. Iron Man's suit has constantly changed with the times, a technological evolution Favreau is making plans to portray.

"We're gonna have it take place in the present day, but there will be an origin story that has the old, gray Iron Man suit; eventually it will progress into more of the modern look," Favreau said. "That's the fun of doing the first one."

Favreau is clearly having plenty of fun putting the project together. Recently on his MySpace page, the director posted the film's "first preliminary image." It was a stick-figure sketch by his 4-year-old son, Max.

Acknowledging the darkness of films like "Batman Begins," the director said that Iron Man can get gritty with the best of them. Indeed, Tony Stark's struggles have included alcoholism, bankruptcy and even homelessness — themes he'd likely tackle in sequels.

"The alcoholism doesn't come into play until later on in the story of Iron Man," he said. "[The comic] started off in the '60s, where it was about him as a successful manufacturer who developed this suit. Then, later, it spins off into that story about him fighting against himself. I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

Mentioning an eventual "Iron Man 2," Favreau said that actor playing Tony Stark for his franchise is unlikely to be a major star (Tom Cruise was briefly attached to the role years ago). Instead, the director hopes to announce his discovery of a relative unknown from the Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") mold later this year.

"What's nice is that those movies don't require an expensive star; Iron Man's the star, the superhero is the star," the director insisted. "The success of 'X-Men' and 'Spider-Man' without being star-driven pieces reassures [executives] that the film does have an upside commercially."

"I don't know that a movie like 'Daredevil' did better for having Ben Affleck then 'Spider-Man' did having Tobey Maguire, who was a relative unknown at the time," Favreau said, citing the Man With No Fear dud that he co-starred in alongside Affleck. "It gives you a little bit of latitude, because there's a lot of money that goes into getting that face on the poster."

Instead, the director (who reunites with friend Vince Vaughn in next month's "The Break Up") said he'd rather take those Affleck-level dollars and selectively distribute them on the look of his film. "I'm of a generation of director that came up understanding special effects," he insisted. "I don't throw the same amount of money [around] as some of the older generation directors who are just learning about it. There's a way to be scrappy, is what I'm trying to say. There's a way to get a lot for your money nowadays. There are a lot of talented people in that field, so I'm not concerned about it."

In the months to come, Jon Favreau will be putting those carefully managed Marvel dollars toward a solid script, some young stars and an "Iron Man" movie out to launch the next great superhero franchise. "It's really been a wonderful experience working on the script, and we're going to start talking about actors soon," Favreau added.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, concerns or comments about the details you read, this is one Hollywood star who is refreshingly eager to hear them. "I'm on MySpace," he offered with a broad smile. "Just search for 'Iron Man Movie Group' and I'm on there, answering questions."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Just as long as keeps his grubby mitts off Plastic Man... that one's mine.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

'Iron Man' attracts May date

Following in the footsteps of such comic book film bows as "Spider-Man" and "X2: X-Men United," Marvel armored avenger "Iron Man" is staking out an early May release date.

The Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment film is scheduled to open May 2, 2008, the studio said Thursday. Directed by Jon Favreau, the project marks the first motion picture to be produced by Marvel under its alliance with the studio.

"Iron Man," based on the best-selling comic book character, is the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment and also marks the first production under former Marvel Studios CEO Avi Arad's newly launched production company, Avi Arad Prods.

The film is expected to be financed through Marvel's $525 million revolving film-financing facility.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Iron Man Villain Confirmed!!
Source: Superhero Hype!

Iron Man director Jon Favreau confirmed at the San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday that the villain in the movie will be fan-favorite Mandarin!

The Mandarin is one of the world's greatest scientific geniuses who is seeking world domination. Although The Mandarin has no superhuman powers, he is a superb athlete with tremendous skill in the various martial arts. For weapons, he uses ten rings he wears on his fingers that respond to his mental commands.

Marvel Studios has set a May 2, 2008 release date for Iron Man. Paramount Pictures will distribute the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

The Iron Man Poster From Comic-Con
Source: Superhero Hype!

A user at director Jon Favreau's Iron Man movie Blog has put up a good version of the poster that was handed out at the Marvel presentation at Comic-Con on Saturday. Favreau said that the armor in the pic was not the film's final design.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Downey in 'Iron' mask for Marvel
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Robert Downey Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment. Jon Favreau is directing the movie, which will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong.

The movie version, written by Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Mark Fergus & Hawk Ostby, will be set in today's geopolitical climate.

Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said the filmmakers looked for the best actor to embody the character.

"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."

Downey worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.

"In every casting announcement we've done, people in their mind's eye have their own view of it and let us know about it. We're used to it," Feige said. "The point is, we looked at everybody, and we found the best person for the role. It's as confident a casting move as we've ever done. The proof will be in the pudding, but he is Tony Stark."

The $100 million-plus-budgeted movie will be produced by Feige and Avi Arad. Executive producers are Michael Helfant, Ari Arad, Louis D'Esposito, Peter Billingsley and Favreau.

Marvel is now casting all supporting roles. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

yep, now i'm interested.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Does Famke Janssen love Iron Man
Source: Moviehole

Director Jon Favreau is said to be chatting to his good friend (and "Made" and "Love & Sex" co-star) Famke Janssen about co-starring in his "Iron Man" movie.

According to CanMag.com, Favreau wants Janssen (well known for her role in another comic-to-film series, "X-Men") to play the love interest of Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark.

"Last we heard, Tony Stark's love interest in the film was going to be the character Bethany Cabe", says a scooper for the site. "Cabe meets Stark at a convention in New York City and their relationship quickly becomes romantic. Cabe would later help Stark beat his alcoholism. Though she doesn't know it at first, Cabe figures out that Iron Man is not only Stark's bodyguard, but Stark himself."

Made a couple of calls about this today, and nobody's talking.... So no confirmation, but no flat-out denials either. Considering Janssen's friendship with Favreau, and the fact that she's worked with Avi Arad and Marvel on the "X-Men" series, it's a possibility.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Howard flying to 'Iron Man'

Terrence Howard is joining the cast of Marvel's "Iron Man," in which he will play Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, the best friend of Tony Stark, the billionaire industrialist who becomes the superhero known as Iron Man.

As Rhodes, Howard will appear as a military pilot who assists Stark (Robert Downey Jr.). Jon Favreau is directing the film.

"The richness of the role and complexity of the character seemed to mesh perfectly with the type of passion, energy and emotion that Howard brings to all of his projects," Marvel Studios president of production Kevin Feige said.

Filming is scheduled to begin in February in Los Angeles, with the movie's release, through Paramount Pictures, slated for May 2, 2008. "Iron Man" will be produced by Avi Arad and Feige. Executive producers are Michael Helfant, Arad, Favreau, Louis D'Esposito and Peter Billingsley.

Howard, who earned an Academy Award nomination for best actor for his performance in last year's "Hustle & Flow," also starred in the Oscar-winning "Crash." He recently completed production on "The Brave One" with Jodie Foster and is shooting "Spring Break in Bosnia" with Richard Gere. His credits include "Idlewild," "Get Rich or Die Tryin' " and "Four Brothers."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Robert Downey Jr. Talks Iron Man
Source: ComingSoon

In the new indie drama Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus, Robert Downey Jr. is covered from head to toe in luscious fur, but when ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! spoke to Downey Jr. about the movie, we were more interested in another suit he will be wearing soon, one of armor in Jon Favreau's Iron Man.

"The suit for 'Iron Man' is so complex and does so much stuff that except for once or twice or from the chest up, I'm not required to do all that much," Downey Jr. told us when asked if he'd been fitted for the armor yet. "What I will do is a lot of motion capture so that the movement isn't just some random stunt guy. A lot of time I look at CGI and I'm like 'What's the reference for this? This looks like a cartoon reference not a person." So I said I want to do all the motion capture work, which is like eight months after finishing shooting, but as much as it as I can do, I will."

"I went after it like a greyhound after a rabbit," he said when asked whether Favreau approached him or whether he went after the part. "I loved Marvel and 'Iron Man' to me is the goods. To tell you the God's honest truth, I'd thrown them all away for Sgt. Rock, because I really grew up on Hogan's Heroes, Sgt. Rock. I'm still addicted to the History Channel and the Military Channel is my thing, but Tony's the best because I could never be Sgt. Rock. He's a little bigger and more butch and has a cigar, I don't see it. Tony's a perfect fit for me, and if I was ever going to do this type of thing, I thought, you know, like early '40's. Great, because when you hang up your 'macho hat' and start directing or doing other stuff, it's not an embarrassment to be doing this in your late '40s still if we wind up doing three of them."

He also said that there would be some major casting announcements soon including Tony Stark's secretary Pepper Potts and one other, but he couldn't let the cat out of the bag despite being excited about the chance to work with the actors.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Iron Maiden
Who might be Tony Stark's leading lady?

With the big-screen version of Marvel Comics' Iron Man gearing up for principal photography, the search has been underway for an actress to play Pepper Potts, the secretary/love interest of Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.).

Director Jon Favreau recently asked for fans' casting suggestions on his MySpace blog but now, according to LatinoReview.com, the helmer may have picked his Pepper.

The site claims that Red Eye and Wedding Crashers actress Rachel McAdams is Favreau's choice to play the part. Her credits also include The Notebook, The Family Stone, Mean Girls and The Hot Chick.

Latino Review adds that they are "not saying that (McAdams) is going to take the part, merely saying that she is their top choice."

The Iron Man cast also includes Oscar nominee Terrence Howard as Stark's best friend, pilot Jim Rhodes.

Paramount-based Iron Man begins filming in L.A. this February for a May 2, 2008 release. The screenplay was penned by Art Markum, Hawk Otsby, Mark Fergus and Matt Hollaway.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

I'll give Favreau some credit; a year ago I couldn't have given less of a crap about an Iron Man movie, but with Robert Downey Jr, Terrence Howard, and Rachel McAdams' (if she takes it) names lighting up the marquee, I'm getting there.

MacGuffin

Paltrow is 'Iron' clad for Marvel

Academy Award winner Gwyneth Paltrow has joined the cast of "Iron Man," the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment. Jon Favreau is directing the movie, distributed by Paramount Pictures.

Paltrow joins Robert Downey Jr. -- who plays armor-clad superhero Iron Man and his alter ego, billionaire industrialist Tony Stark -- and Terrence Howard, who will play Stark's best friend Rhodey.

Paltrow will play Stark's personal assistant Virginia "Pepper" Potts, one of the few people in Stark's life who can go toe-to-toe with him and who occasionally serves as his conscience. The pair also share a secret attraction to each other.

"We've been casting for a long time, and we really took our time in finding the perfect person," Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said. "We've talked to our prototype for Pepper, and we kept mentioning 'someone like Gwyneth Paltrow,' and it was relatively recently that it came to our attention that maybe we should go to Gwyneth. Her representatives let us know that she wanted to do a movie like this; a few phone calls later from all parties involved, and over the weekend it happened.

"It happens rarely in this business where you get exactly who you wanted and where it happens very quickly," Feige said. "We have a lot of actors and filmmakers who are very happy, myself right among them."

Production is scheduled to begin in March in Los Angeles.

The movie will be produced by Avi Arad and Feige. Executive producing are Ari Arad, Peter Billingsley, Louis D'Esposito, Favreau and Michael Helfant.

Paltrow, who won an Oscar for her work in "Shakespeare in Love," most recently appeared in "Running With Scissors." Her credits include "Infamous" and "Proof." She is repped by CAA and Brillstein-Grey.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues