What Did You Think Of Matrix Revolutions?

Started by Cathartic Cleansing, October 15, 2003, 01:11:30 PM

Kal

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
Quote from: andykwhy should your shit be devaluated now with the new shit
Impatience?  I'm certainly guilty.  I know there's gonna be a box out by XMAS, but I have the mentality of a 12 year old and it must be MINE MINE MINE NOW NOW NOW.

true... its what happens with the damn LOTR dvds... but in the Matrix case... I own the first movie for like 3 years now... so I wasnt gonna wait this long to buy it because of this fucking marketing guys... so now I should get a refund if I want the package

Weak2ndAct

I see where you're coming from, but I don't mind as much b/c the movie needs a new transfer and I know I've certainly watched it enough times to not make me feel like I've wasted my money.

Weak2ndAct

Got the Revolutions dvd.  It's pretty swell.  It was nice to get all the trailers on disc one.  Disc two actually has quite a few documentaries, most of the showing how the effects were done (that Zion siege logistics just boggles my mind).  Overall, there's a couple hours of stuff to watch.  All in all, a worthy disc that I'm sure you won't feel bad having to double dip for later when the Uber-Box arrives.

Banky

analogzombie

Quote from: andykI agree on that... whats the point of having the same movie several times only to get the extras and the nice box set... you should be able to get a refund or something for the old vesion and get the new one... if you were a loyal fan who already paid money to own it why should your shit be devaluated now with the new shit

Well its nice to see Criterion seems to hold that opinion. I saw where owners of the original release of 'Charade' can get $15 off the new one.

I think the most offensive growing trends with 'special editions' seems to be the release of a single-disc version only to be followed in 3 months with a 2 or 3 disc set. It almost gurantees the real fans will end up buying both copies. I know its business but geez, talk about getting hosed. I do, however, think the idea of what was done with Fight Club, or as a better example, Punch Drunk Love is great. First release is the special ediiton, then a single disc is put out later.

As for Matrix Revolutions, I hated it so i won't be buying it. But, I did enjoy the original film and the Animatrix, though i own neither. The philosophy and the art direction of the series is outstanding, and the reason i saw the sequels at all. So, if they release a super box set with all three films, plus the Animatrix and documentaries, I would probably buy it. I think the whole vision of the Matrix world is fascinating, even if the two sequels were trash.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

markums2k

I still think Warner fucked up royally with promoting the whole thing.  I just met someone yesterday that didn't even know Revolutions had already made its theatrical run.  When I told him it was coming out on DVD in a few days, he didn't believe me.

Kal

Quote from: markums2kI still think Warner fucked up royally with promoting the whole thing.  I just met someone yesterday that didn't even know Revolutions had already made its theatrical run.  When I told him it was coming out on DVD in a few days, he didn't believe me.

I'm sorry but that person was a dumbass... it was all over everywhere and it did great in theatres the first 10 days... until word of mouth killed it

Banky

Quote from: andyk

I'm sorry but that person was a dumbass... it was all over everywhere and it did great in theatres the first 10 days... until word of mouth killed it

thats bullshit man, it was not properly marketed and i know lots of people who were not aware of its release and they did see Reloaded in theatres

Pubrick

it was marketed badly, AND it sucked.

it didn't hav a chance.
under the paving stones.

Banky

heres something interesting from dvdanswers.com that i thought was an intresting point that i agree with

"Unfortunately the fact that the trilogy ends on an intellectual note rather than an emotional one has served to alienate a great deal of viewers, as has the reliance on a number of largely anonymous bit-players to carry some of the bigger scenes"

also i think a theme that is lost that is the most poignant key to revolutions is that the ability to choose is what is important and keeps others from ever being in control.  I loved revolutions because of this point and was floored by the scene with Smith and Neo fighting in the water and Neo says "because i choose to."  It really made the film for me.

Pubrick

i liked that scene too., and the Choosing thing is what made Reloaded great, they nailed that already.

and believe me i hav no problem with "intellectual notes". it's just that revolutions lacked the grace with which they were presented in the other films. they didn't bother with the same quality of storytelling. haha, intellectual note, now that i think about it that is HILARIOUS. seriously Revolutions is the least intelligent of the other films.

the others proposed and illustrated poignant ideas, like destiny/reality/choice and even Love. there was none of that in revolutions. too much of it felt like filler.. it was truly unmemorable and unexceptional. i'm sorry but it was really hard for me to accept it too. wouldn't it be great to just finally get a PERFECT trilogy? that will always be the dream.
under the paving stones.

Banky

ill take the rainy brawl over the burly brawl any day of the week.  Much more epic and impressive

pubrick

how did you get a different form of text in your signature?

Pubrick

i'll take the twins, car-chase, architect scene, escape from architect, orgasmic cake, and miscellaneous memorable images.. over the siege of zion (which was the only other notable sequence in revolutions)

the sig is arabic text. pm me for further details.
under the paving stones.

Kal

the fight at the end with the matrix full of smiths and the rain was the best... the dialoge when trinity dies sucks... and the difference in morpheous character from the first movie to this last one also sucks... but the overall thing is that i loved the trilogy and the characters and the whole concept and i'll defend it anywhere

brockly

Quote from: Pubrickorgasmic cake

a great scene indeed.