Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

JG

TV Bosses Reveal What's Next

Executive Producer Damon Lindelof Says:  "Indeed, it would appear that we are in the endgame of the strike. Personally, I couldn't be more psyched to be part of this union. Like any negotiation, some parts suck and some parts surpassed my wildest expectations for what we could accomplish, but most of all I'm left with a feeling of pride.

"As for Lost (pending the actual lifting of the strike, which we vote for on Tuesday), a game plan should begin to manifest by the end of the week. All I can say is that Carlton and I and the rest of the writers have every intention of making sure you guys get more episodes this season beyond the eight already completed. How many and how they will be aired is a conversation we'll be having with our bosses, but as soon as we've got a plan, we'll tell the fans first."

+++

there's no reason to think that there couldn't be at least a season of 12 or 13 consecutive episodes.. but really is there anything wrong with taking a few weeks off here and there so we can get all 16 during one period of time? airing the episodes consecutively is a nice idea, but it doesn't have to be that way.

if it takes 8 days to produce an episode (does it? i remember hearing that) then they should at least have four more in the can by the time the 8 we are getting now are through, right? i mean its not like they literally weren't writing during this time. its not like there was a lock on their word processors. the actual "writing" of the episodes should not be obstacle at all.

i guess there's a question of drawing less viewers if its playing in the summer? would it really matter that much? i don't know.

cinemanarchist

Source: Aintitcool

"Lost" showrunner Carlton Cuse says the fourth season of his acclaimed sci-fi drama will be no more than 13 episodes this season, cut down from an order of 16 due to the writers' strike expected to end today.
Eight episodes were scripted before the strike. Cuse hopes to produce five more to air this spring.

It sounds like Cuse and the rest of the "Lost" writing staff will end the fourth season at the same story point they always intended, cramming eight episodes of plot into the season's final five installments.

"We will have to condense some stories," Cuse tells The Hollywood Reporter.

The third episode of the fourth season airs this Thursday. Sources say all 13 fourth-season episodes could conceivably run between now and the end of the season without a break.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Chest Rockwell

I'd rather have 16 episodes with a break than 13 with no break.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on February 12, 2008, 03:12:37 PM

Okay, just for you

©brad

not me man. breaks blow hard (didn't season 3 teach you anything?). and just think of how much more intense and economic those 5 episodes will have to be.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: ©MBBrad on February 12, 2008, 04:24:55 PM

not me man. breaks blow hard (didn't season 3 teach you anything?). and just think of how much more intense and economic those 5 episodes will have to be.

But I like it when they take their time with some of the characters...
Si

Sleepless

If they've planned out the season to be 16 episodes, then by forcing them to cut 3 of those episodes, some things are inevitably going to be lost. That doesn't necessarily mean that the remaining episodes are going to be any more intense or economical that they would have been anyway. Rather, they're going to have to cut some corners and slack on character development in order to get everyone where they want by the end of the season.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Sleepless on February 13, 2008, 07:55:58 AM
If they've planned out the season to be 16 episodes, then by forcing them to cut 3 of those episodes, some things are inevitably going to be lost. That doesn't necessarily mean that the remaining episodes are going to be any more intense or economical that they would have been anyway. Rather, they're going to have to cut some corners and slack on character development in order to get everyone where they want by the end of the season.

This is exactly my concern.  They'll do their best but it's going to feel rushed.  If they're smart, they'll try to push ABC to let them do an extra 7-8 minutes each episode so they can squeeze an extra episode's worth of time into the remaining 5. 

And hopefully, this means they'll be allowed to add a couple of episodes to seasons 5 or 6.

JG

Quote from: hacksparrow on February 13, 2008, 02:19:33 PM
And hopefully, this means they'll be allowed to add a couple of episodes to seasons 5 or 6.

It does.

What will happen to the three "lost" episodes? Will they roll over into next season's 16, or will they vanish forever?
Cuse: Damon and I remain committed to producing the 40 additional hours of the show that we promised. We haven't figured out exactly when we'll put those other three on, but we're not eliminating them from the show. You will get those three episodes downstream.

Gamblour.

So I'm all caught up for tonight. I think this new season is very interesting so far. Jeremy Davies is exemplary of the way the writers/creators are poking and prodding with the show's boundaries established so far. His style of acting, unfortunately this also includes Miles, play with the tension in the show, and I think it's challenging the principal actors in a good way. Davies has a sort of earnestness and compassion in his performance that will probably attract and repel the survivors, and he's not totally doing the whole scatter-minded twitchy bit, which is wonderful to see.

His character is obviously going to be very important because we have absolutely no grasp on his purpose. He has a gun but he's not sure why he needs it. He was brought along, but he says he was the first one dumped off the helicopter. He's a pretty good actor, the character is, because the panic and lack of confidence on the helicopter vanishes the moment he sees Jack, which reminds me of the quality in Ben. He cries when he sees the crash, and when asked why says "I don't know." He is later described as a "head case" by Naomi.  She's so quick to characterize the others by things we have seen and understand. All of these facts about Faraday are basically dead ends for now, but they come together and add up to something we can't really predict, which I think is very intriguing.
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Holy shit, these flash forwards are making the show more and more brilliant!

SPOILERS

When Sayid first shot that guy on the golf course, that earned a big WTF from me. I think it's weird that he's now an assassin, even though he keeps regretting torturing people. I guess he'll just come to the conclusion that he's good at it and keep it up at some point. Ben's voice was didn't sound at all like Ben at the end until the reveal. It's fucking awesome that Ben is still around and underground.

Now I'm off to read that time loop theory polka posted, since Faraday's payload pulled a Back to the Future on us with the synchronized watches.
WWPTAD?

©brad

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

i'm not sure if i have the mental capacity to truly handle this show. these flash-forwards are fucking. my. shit. up.

Quote from: Gamblour. on February 14, 2008, 09:10:14 PM
Holy shit, these flash forwards are making the show more and more brilliant!

SPOILERS

When Sayid first shot that guy on the golf course, that earned a big WTF from me. I think it's weird that he's now an assassin, even though he keeps regretting torturing people. I guess he'll just come to the conclusion that he's good at it and keep it up at some point. Ben's voice was didn't sound at all like Ben at the end until the reveal. It's fucking awesome that Ben is still around and underground.

Now I'm off to read that time loop theory polka posted, since Faraday's payload pulled a Back to the Future on us with the synchronized watches.

yes yes and i totally didn't buy the time travel theory until now so yes on that too.

the thing i hate/love about lost is that it's the one show i feel like i have to do homework for. between here and lostpedia and the countless other blogs and online essays and water cooler discussions i must now partake in, it's goddamn exhausting i tell yah. and even after all that i still feel like i'm not doing enough. fuck.

Gamblour.

Man, this time travel theory makes too much sense. I WILL find a hole in it.
WWPTAD?

pumba

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT.

that theory haunted me balls off.

please find a hole in that, that seems so right

MacGuffin

Lost To Move Again?

TV Guide reported that ABC's post-strike schedule may move Lost to another new timeslot: Thursdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT, right after Grey's Anatomy, beginning in late April.

The magazine added, based on anonymous sources, that ABC is strongly considering keeping the lineup intact in the fall and beyond.

Lost is currently airing the eight episodes that were completed before the writers' strike began last fall. Now that the strike is ended, five new episodes are expected to be produced. They will air in the spring.

Lost currently airs Thursdays at 9 p.m.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks