Started by Astrostic, January 18, 2007, 11:01:36 PM

72teeth

so is this officially DA's Perect Blue?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

squints

Quote from: 72teeth on August 20, 2010, 02:36:39 AM
so is this officially DA's Perect Blue?

didn't think of it that way but you're right!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

haha oh my. he looks like nat po.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

jerome

"academy award attendee" haha

©brad

Polka you've outdone yourself.

modage

You should center the logo!  Then it's a masterpiece.  :bravo:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: modage on August 23, 2010, 10:16:25 AM

Yeah, that was a pretty lazy oversight.  Fixed.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

Quote from: polkablues on August 23, 2010, 06:49:05 PM
Quote from: modage on August 23, 2010, 10:16:25 AM

Yeah, that was a pretty lazy oversight.  Fixed.

Fits the Ratner theme though.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

'Black Swan' Director Darren Aronofsky On Ballet, Natalie Portman And Lesbian Kisses
Source: MTVNews

In one corner, you have Mickey Rourke, all serrated flesh and oozing blood, leaping from the top rope because that's how wrestlers roll. In the other corner, you have Natalie Portman, austere and intense, turning pirouettes because that's what a ballerina is born to do.

The two are connected, if you can believe it. And why not? As Darren Aronofsky explains, 2008's Oscar-nominated "Wrestler" is in essence a companion piece to his forthcoming "Black Swan." The athletes he focuses on are so consumed with their professions that they are swept up and eventually overtaken, with the end result being that there is no dividing line between ballerina and ballet, between wrestler and wrestling.

In the new film, Natalie Portman stars as Nina, a New York City ballerina about to assume the lead position in her company for a production of "Swan Lake." Competition and disturbing psychological warfare arrive in the form of the rival dancer Lilly (Mila Kunis), who awakens in Nina a dark side that brings objective reality into question.

Aronofsky has been wanting to make a film about the world of ballet for a decade. In a recent interview with MTV News, the director spoke about the movie's psychological and supernatural undertones, the research he did for the film and the much-buzzed-about make-out session between the two leading ladies.

MTV: Let's begin with the "Black Swan" trailer, because it really seemed to capture people's imaginations. How involved to you get in the process? What are you looking to communicate and also withhold?

Darren Aronofsky: It's funny, because I literally finished the film yesterday. It's been a incredible mad dash to the finishing line, and to be frank, I really surrendered to the studio and I have to credit Fox Seachlight with doing a lot of the heavy lifting. In the past, I've worked very hard on the trailers, but I just didn't have any time. I had to finish the movie. When I saw the trailer for the first time, I was very impressed. I thought it was exciting. You never know how audiences are going to react. I generally do these films that are hard to fit into boxes and they're hard to sum up in two minutes. I'm glad people are enjoying it.

MTV: And I guess it doesn't hurt to have .

Aronofsky:
Yeah, I know. A lot of people already knew that was happening. A screenplay got out there and someone wrote about it on the Internet and the next thing you know CNN is reporting on it. It's definitely something that happens in the film, but it's just the tip of the exciting things that happen.

MTV: I think it's kind of interesting for you to be going from wrestling to ballet, because there's probably more of a similarity there than people might think, just in terms of choreography and competitiveness and things like that.

Aronofsky: Exactly. I've always considered the two films companion pieces. They are really connected and people will see the connections. It's funny, because wrestling some consider the lowest art — if they would even call it art — and ballet some people consider the highest art. But what was amazing to me was how similar the performers in both of these worlds are. They both make incredible use of their bodies to express themselves. They're both performers. At one point, way before I made "The Wrestler," I was actually developing a project that was about a love affair between a ballet dancer and a wrestler, and then it kind of split off into two movies. So I guess my dream is that some art theater will play the films as a double feature some day.

MTV: I have a feeling if you suggest it, someone will take you up on it. They'll just make you run the projector and scoop the popcorn.

Aronofsky: Exactly. I'm fine with that.

MTV: I know you did a lot of research for "The Wrestler," going to matches and talking to wrestlers. What was your process like for "Black Swan"?

Aronofsky: Ballet is a very insular world. There's a lot of privacy, and it's hard to get in. Normally when you say, "I want to make a movie about your world," the doors open up and you get tremendous access. The ballet world could give two sh--s about anyone making a film about their world. For people that do ballet, ballet is their universe and they're not impressed by movies. I did find dancers that shared their stories with me, some retired, some working. Eventually I got to stand backstage when the Bolshoi came to Lincoln Center, standing in the wings watching some of the greatest dancers in the world. I got to see some amazing athletes up close and experience what they were going through.

MTV: Are you standing there watching as a director, like storyboarding your movie, or are you just taking in the spectacle?

Aronofsky: Most of my time, I'd be thinking, "This is an amazing closeup, but how am I going to let audiences appreciate this?" Wrestling, it's very clear how to show that. My goal there was to show how much it actually, physically hurt. People always think it's fake, and my point was, "Sure it's fake, the outcome is already decided, but the stunts are not fake. These are real people falling onto a concrete floor." For me, what was so interesting about ballet was these athletes have done it for so many years — some of them start at four or five years old — and they make it effortless, so that you cannot see the skill involved. It's almost impossible to experience how hard it is to get your leg over your head when you're standing on the tip of your foot. It looks so easy. But when you're up close, you can see the muscles ripping. For me, it was about, "How do I make that effort visually exciting?"

MTV: I spoke with Natalie back when she was promoting "Brothers," and she talked about wanting to get away from "cute and girly" roles. "Black Swan" clearly doesn't seem cute and girly. What's your sense of why she wanted in?

Aronofsky: It's kind of weird. It came together really well. One of the best things about the film is the casting of Natalie. She took the part and ran with it. I don't know if when I was working with the writers we were consciously channeling Natalie or Natalie somehow transformed herself to the part, but they grew together. I first talked with Natalie about this project at least 10 years ago. We were in Times Square and had a coffee at the old Howard Johnson. I had this idea of setting something in the ballet world. It was very loose. I didn't have a script. And then I found out she was fascinated by ballet and wanted to play a dancer.

MTV: Was that when it was still that ballet/wrestling film?

Aronofsky: No, that was after. I realized pretty quickly that taking two worlds like wrestling and ballet was much too much for one movie. So we met and for years it was something I've been developing and struggling with and when I finishing up "The Wrestler," a guy who worked in my company, Mark Heyman, he had done a lot of writing and producing on "The Wrestler," and I asked if he wanted to give the ballet project a shot. He jumped in and he turned it into something we could make.

MTV: For Mila's role, you needed someone who looks like Natalie, but obviously it can't just be about looks. It's got to be the right actor. How do you approach that sort of casting challenge?

Aronofsky: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I saw "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," and she just leapt off the screen. So natural and so beautiful. I'd never seen her TV show. So she was in my head, and then Natalie said, "Hey, for the part of Lilly, what about my friend Mila Kunis?" I was in Europe, and we met over iChat and she was natural and cool and seemed relaxed and excited and then I just hired her. It was a leap of faith.

MTV: At Comic-Con, Natalie compared the movie to a psychological thriller like "Rosemary's Baby." Does that ring true for you?

Aronofsky: I'm a huge Polanski fan. Probably "Repulsion" and "The Tenant" are better comparisons than "Rosemary's Baby." They were big influences on "Black Swan," as they've been on all my films. Unfortunately for my checkbook, I don't really make movies that can be put in a box. I don't know what it is. It's not like much out there.

MTV: It definitely seems that it toes that line of, "Is this purely psychological? Does magical realism come into play?" Not that you're going to tell me the answer, but were those ideas in your head?

Aronofsky: It's definitely an experience. But the trailer should give you everything — it's all in there! No, no, it's got a lot of sources that I get inspired by and influenced by. It's like, "What the hell was 'Pi'?" I'm not really sure. Definitely "The Fountain" was outside the box. I guess "The Wrestler" was the most straightforward thing I've done. I think I was trying to make a sports film. I guess I don't do genre very well.

MTV: You seem to be doing OK so far.

Aronofsky: I don't know. Everyone will see in a few days.

MTV: Yeah, you're opening the Venice Film Festival. Do you get nervous for stuff like that or are you cool, calm and collected?

Aronofsky: I always get nervous when I show work to an audience. Eventually they're going to have to see it. When "The Wrestler" showed at Venice the last time, I walked out in the middle. I couldn't handle it. I snuck back in the end. It was not a pleasant experience.

MTV: You're staring at the people, going, "Are they liking it? Are they liking it?"

Aronofsky: Unfortunately, I don't make the kind of films where you can tell if they're liking it. It's not a laugh-fest. It's a tough job. It's a tough job.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

First Impressions: 'Black Swan' Drawing Comparisons To Roman Polanski & David Cronenberg At The Venice Film Festival
Source: ThePlaylist

Darren Aronofsky's "Black Swan" has opened the Venice Film Festival and reviews are now coming in fast; most describe a film that wears the influences the director has pointed to -- "All About Eve," "The Tenant," "The Red Shoes" -- very clearly, but also very powerfully. The film centers on the relationship between a veteran ballet dancer (Natalie Portman) and a rival, played by Mila Kunis, who may or may not be a figment of the dancer's imagination, and co-stars Winona Ryder, Vincent Cassel, Sebastian Stan and Barbara Hershey. Here's what critics are saying about the film.

Variety's Peter Debruge makes the clear the connection between "Black Swan" and "The Wrestler" (which Aronofsky called companion pieces) noting that the film "serves as a fascinating complement to Darren Aronofsky's "The Wrestler," trading the grungy world of a broken-down fighter for the more upscale but no less brutal sphere of professional ballet." Even more intriguing, he notes that "Aronofsky seems to be operating more in the vein of early Roman Polanski or David Cronenberg at his most operatic.....the latter third of "Black Swan" depicts a highly subjective view of events that calls to mind the psychological disintegration of both 'Repulsion' and 'Rosemary's Baby.'"

Mike Goodridge at Screen International (via Awards Daily) says the film is an Oscar lock, with Natalie Portman in particular earning high praise. "If the film is ultimately too unsettling to snag main prizes, it has at least one nomination in the bag for lead actress Natalie Portman who gives one of "those" performances, transforming herself after ten months of training into an accomplished ballerina, almost uncomfortable to watch as she consumes her difficult role....like Catherine Deneuve in 'Repulsion' or Mia Farrow in 'Rosemary's Baby,' she captures the confusion of a repressed young woman thrown into a world of danger and temptation with frightening veracity."

In his four-star review, Guy Lodge at InContention reveals the film to be "a contemporary fairy tale of sorts: the story of a little girl, in the fierce grip of controlling adults, who wants nothing more than to dance, and learns that she must exchange part of herself for the opportunity....that's only after it has successfully masqueraded as a taut, witty and wickedly kinky thriller that pulls off the tricky double-bluff of following precisely the narrative course one has mapped out for it, yet emerging as all the more surprising for that adherence."

IndieWire's Todd McCarthy opens his review by calling the film "'Red Shoes' on acid," but isn't quite as taken with it. He finds that the film eventually goes "goes over the top in something approaching grand guignol fashion," though he gives praise for Cassel's "commanding performance" as a French choreographer, and Hershey gets singled out for her "grating" performance as Portman's mother who nurses "a perennial grudge over having given up her own career to raise her daughter, to the point where she resembles the mother in 'Carrie' more than someone who actually lives in the real world."

Kirk Honeycutt of The Hollywood Reporter is perhaps the most clear cut about his displeasure with film, giving "Black Swan" its first outright pan, admiring its technical achievements but not buying its narrative. "'Swan' is an instant guilty pleasure, a gorgeously shot, visually complex film whose badness is what's so good about it. You might howl at the sheer audacity of mixing mental illness with the body-fatiguing, mind-numbing rigors of ballet, but its lurid imagery and a hellcat competition between two rival dancers is pretty irresistible," adding that the "horror-movie nonsense drags everything down the rabbit hole of preposterousness."

But if you're just looking for unabashed praise, Robert Beames at Obsessed With Film blows a pantload calling "Black Swan" "A perfect film that blends 'The Red Shoes' with 'Antichrist,' via Cronenberg," and saying it's the "best film I've seen all year. Left me devastated, excited, tense and emotionally drained. Tarantino will be a fool if he doesn't give this the Golden Lion (unless something even better is coming up!). Aronofsky has made his first masterpiece and Portman must now be favourite for the Oscar."

ono

It's weird -- after seeing the trailer and reading the script, it feels as if I've already seen the movie.  And it was just okay.  These articles haven't said anything yet to make me change my mind.  I don't see how it can be a masterpiece (quoting from the last article's last paragraph's high praise), when it fails to transcend anything and its emotional punch seems to be a bit of a cliche.  Stylish and well made, well, obviously.  Take me anywhere, show me anything new?  Remains to be seen.

Stefen

Best girl kisses first scene ever?

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

It would have been really cool if they looked more similar, because then the breaking of the line (which I wouldn't be surprised if Aronofsky does throughout the film) would be extra trippy.

socketlevel

Saw it last night at the TIFF gala. I dont really have much to say about it. i liked it.

another awesome post by me.
the one last hit that spent you...