Adaptation

Started by Jake_82, January 08, 2003, 05:30:40 PM

modage

being john malkovich only got one region 1 dvd release.  it had a few extras on it, but nothing big.  i like kaufman and really didnt like human nature.  saw it opening night.  extremely disappointed.  seemed like a good idea, but just not executed  correctly.  seemed too preachy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasdid anyone get the dvd? i just wondered if this "superbit" is all it's cracked up to be.......and a general review of the disc itself.

http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1704
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02being john malkovich only got one region 1 dvd release.  it had a few extras on it, but nothing big.  i like kaufman and really didnt like human nature.  saw it opening night.  extremely disappointed.  seemed like a good idea, but just not executed  correctly.  seemed too preachy.

I rented Human Nature and was pleasantly surprised. I guess the bar had been lowered 'cos I'd heard so many, many negative things about it, but... I liked it. I thought it was too light to be preachy, really. I thought the rats were cute. This was before Royal Tenenbaums with its dalmation mice... wasn't it? Not exactly the same thing, but similar enough. For my mind to free-associate them.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Raikus

I love Human Nature. Some days I wake up and it's my favorite Kaufman movie.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

tpfkabi

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: SalIs Adaptation expecting a future release with bonus materials?
Yes. Don't know when that edition will be released.

is there an article about this with details about extras, etc?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

sphinx

columbia/tri-star is expected to release a special edition of the film

sedated extras are being gathered as we speak (they ran away before they could be packaged into the initial release)

no words on when

there is no page i can cite, nor can i tell you about any of the extras because we just don't know what's going to be included.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: CollinBullockI rented a DVD copy and then just copied it on to VHS, so now I own my own VHS copy of it.  I'm cool

You'd THINK that, wouldn't you?

But yeah, this movie rocked and I think "The 3" would only be cool for monetary value (like Freddy Vs. Jason).  I'd see it to say "I saw the 3!"

How many other Charlie Kaufman movies are there?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

did anyone ever call the number?

i just bought it at Blockbuster for 6.99 and it's like new. no telling when the SE will come out, so this will tide me over.

oh, unfortunately the piece of paper asking for no clips in the DVD case wasn't in there
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

NEON MERCURY

QuoteI rented a DVD copy and then just copied it on to VHS, so now I own my own VHS copy of it.  I'm cool

.... :? .... i thought that this couldn't be done ???.......you can't hook up a vcr and a dvd player and record from the dvd to a tape.....can you?

Ravi

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
QuoteI rented a DVD copy and then just copied it on to VHS, so now I own my own VHS copy of it.  I'm cool

.... :? .... i thought that this couldn't be done ???.......you can't hook up a vcr and a dvd player and record from the dvd to a tape.....can you?

A little box can be used to defeat Macrovision.  Not every DVD has copy protection (MGM doesn't use it), and some releases from studios that normally use it might not have it.  Older VCRs often don't recognize the Macrovision so it doesn't cause weird artifacts when copying.

ono

Reviving a really old thread because, well, who knows?  This forum should be busier.  That's all I know.

Quote from: In the 77th Annual Academy Awards thread, Cinephile
Quote from: ono mo cuishleHere's the thing about Eternal Sunshine.  Kaufman is a great writer.  We all know that.  However, both Being John Malkovich and Adaptation. suffered greatly in the third act.  Still, people embraced them, especially outside the mainstream.
the genius is that it becomes Donald's movie --but that can be discussed further in the Adaptation thread (that new forum needs some attention as it is).
I realize that, but here's the paradox - once the film becomes Donald's film, it becomes a bad film.  That's not really genius, that's a gimmick.  It's a cute gimmick, but still a gimmick that leaves the viewer really unsatisfied.  All you can do is sit back and say, "hm, that's cute."  But there's really nothing much more to it.  It becomes empty.

The fact that Kaufman was able to solve these problems and say something with Eternal Sunshine makes his accolades all the sweeter.

See also: http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=31059#31059

Tictacbk

I think when you first realize where the third act is going its "cute," and then you realized the ridiculous levels Kaufman is taking this idea to and it becomes hilarious and pretty genius.

Gold Trumpet

The third act becomes even worse when its realized how directly it was ripped from Fellini's 8 1/2. Fellini gives into his fantasy and Kaufman gives into my assumption he had nowhere to go. Even the rest of the film before it was fluff material about the artist's struggle. I remember the most striking thing about the entire movie it was the first to accomplish the problem of having the same actor play two characters and habit the same scene.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI remember the most striking thing about the entire movie it was the first to accomplish the problem of having the same actor play two characters and habit the same scene.
under the paving stones.