The Day After Tomorrow

Started by MacGuffin, November 05, 2003, 12:07:41 PM

Ravi

I don't normally see these summer blockbusters, but I thought this one was alright.  It had its flaws, such as the lukewarm "romance" and some leaps of logic, but the SFX were good enough that I generally liked the film.  It isn't anything I want to see again, though.  I think Ebert gave this film 3 stars because of the political message  :-D

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: QuoyleThey should've rewrote the whole screenplay! This is a disaster movie where the movie is the biggest disaster of all. The dialogue is hysterically bad with one contrived situation after the other. It has a likable ensemble but Jake's the only guy giving a good performance.

Please avoid at all cost!

Amen.  Off the top of my head, one of the top 5 worst screenplays I've ever seen in a movie.  This is prime MST3K material.

***SPOILERS (minor ones but still)***

The whole thing with Sela Ward and the kid with cancer was the most ridiculous and useless subplot since Elisha Cuthbert got her leg caught in a bear trap in season 2 of 24.  As much money as this movie cost, you'd think one executive at 20th Century Fox would have said, "Um, Roland? The wife? We don't need her. The movie gets shorter. BAM! More cash. And this homeless guy isn't much of a help either."

So here's to Jake Gyllenhaal not completely pulling an Affleck, even though it's not looking too good so far. "Earth in peril" movie? Check.  Actress girlfriend? Check. Superhero movie in the works? Check. Kevin Smith movie in the works? Check.  Let's just hope Kirsten Dunst doesn't try for a singing career.

MacGuffin

Quote from: hacksparrowOff the top of my head, one of the top 5 worst screenplays I've ever seen in a movie.

What are the other four?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

also, another terrible subplot: the wolves
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ravi

In these movies there is always a scene where people don't listen to the one person who knows what he's talking about.  In this movie it was the scene where the cop tells everyone to leave, even though Jake tells everyone that his climatologist dad said not to.

Alethia

Quote from: El Duderinoalso, another terrible subplot: the wolves

i totally guessed that by the way.  ask my girlfriend.

Ravi

Quote from: eward
Quote from: El Duderinoalso, another terrible subplot: the wolves

i totally guessed that by the way.  ask my girlfriend.

It's not surprising that the wolves came back.  In most mainstream movies, nothing that is lingered on for even a second doesn't come back later in the film.

Alethia

errrr....well.....ummmm......they lingered on the bears too!!  i didnt see any fuckin bears comin back, did you?   i thought not.

i wasn't that proud of it, i swear

MacGuffin

Overall, I got what I wanted. I was entertained. I wasn't looking for logic or seriousness. I like the Irwin Allen disaster films, and while this might be on the same scale as Posideon Adventure or Towering Inferno, it was good at it's 'disaster'. The FX were top notch, especially the waves pouring through the streets of New York, and I love my city of Los Angeles so much, I was very giddy about seeing it torn apart. It lagged a bit in parts, and the crescendo of destruction scenes weren't as suspenseful or tense as Emerich built with Independence Day, but I was still satisfied.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

coffeebeetle

This movie was entertaining for one reason only: to laugh.

Who knew frost could chase you through a hallway?!?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Just Withnail

First half. Nature destroys the world/ America. Grand scale destruction. =  :-D

Second half. "NOBODY go outside. You'll FREEEEZE to death!" = :(

rustinglass

Wasn't it stupid that they burned books, when they had plenty of furniture that would make even better fuel? and , in the ship he takes a fire axe, goes out the window, breaks back in in the other room and opens the door from the inside. why didn't he use the axe to break the door down?

It was a pretty funny film. nice FX, cept for the cg dogs. I liked it very much because these are really hot days, where I live. It was nice to go into the cinema and cool down a bit. Or it could have been the air conditioner.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Jokes made during film:

French woman in Taxi can't get out; character Laura comes to the rescue.
My Friend Darren:
     "Let me through! I speak Hysterical Black Woman!"

NYC floods over
Comments made:
       "Then there's a guy rowing a gondala remarking 'ahh! She's a just like home!'
       "They told me the Boat-car was a bad investment, but I showed them!!!! (shakes fist) I SHOWED THEM!!!!!!!!"

and your basic 'wolves are a natural disaster?' nonsense