Best ironic use of music in a movie?

Started by ShanghaiOrange, September 23, 2003, 01:15:57 PM

thedog

Imagine Goodfellas without Joe Pesci.

That's why it's sad when he dies.

but anyway...

There's so many examples but off the top of my head, Fight The Power (Public Enemy) in Do The Right Thing.

kotte

Quote from: Vile5"What a Wonderful World" - Bowling for Columbine

I'm suprised Moore did what he did with that song...I expected more of him. It's too ironic...the plane crashing -> what a wonderful world.

We get it!

rustinglass

Actually I wasn't expecting for that final "ooooh, -crash- yeah..."
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

pookiethecat

fucking amal- "i wanna know what love is" by foreigner during the make-out scene.
vanilla sky- good vibrations. (hated the movie but i love that part).
i wanna lick 'em.

molly

Best ironic use of music in a movie - maybe "There's something about Mary" and anything by the the Coens. These come first in my mind.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: pookiethecat(hated the movie but i love that part).
me too, but I did like the original.

I dunno if it's been said, but I always got a kick out of in Clockwork Orange.

I always imagined a horse race up until this seeing this movie for the first time.

chinaski40

"Happiness", especially, the part where the dad walks into the park with the machine gun and it's playing that sweet, corny music and then he shoots everyone.

freakerdude

I'll second Blue Velvet's use of In Dreams by Roy Orbison and Love Letters. I also liked Wild At Heart's inclusion of Wicked Game by Chris Isaak.

In Blue Velvet, Frank whispers something to "So Fucking Suave" Ben about the Candy Covered Clown. I think he makes a request for Ben to sing it, which is In Dreams.

I am obviously a Lynch-ian and his pairing with composer Angelo Badalamenti is a match made in cinematic heaven.

Of course, The End by the Doors in Apocolypse Now has to be the most fitting. And most anything in Spinal Tap was ironically hilarious.
MC Pee Pants

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: aclockworkjj

Am I the only one who thinks Vanilla Sky is an improvement to an already great movie?
Si

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I don't know what it's called, but that one old song played in House of 1,000 Corpses when it goes slow motion.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ProgWRX

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Quote from: aclockworkjj

Am I the only one who thinks Vanilla Sky is an improvement to an already great movie?

I think that way too, but im pretty biased, im a huge Cameron Crowe fan. (as evidenced by my signature, etc) *

* although my Crowe fandom came to be AFTER Vanilla Sky  :?
-Carlos