The Royal Tennebaums

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 29, 2003, 11:44:42 AM

budgie

Where do you come from, GT? I keep thinking if I could get the accent, I could hear the meaning.

Gold Trumpet

I'm from Michigan and my accent is that I don't have one. My voice would be dissapointing nonetheless. But if I had to give an example to the way I speak, I would prolly say watch Die Hard and see how Willis talks during that movie and try to imagine him giving an argument but saying it in way that was trying to piss someone else off. I'm a master of that arrogant speaking voice that is pissing the other person off while I am having fun with it. So really, watch that movie and apply that voice to my words and imagine a sly grin on my face. I also have that cocky look Willis has too, so it matches well. But I'm a nice guy too.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetwatch that movie and apply that voice to my words and imagine a sly grin on my face. I also have that cocky look Willis has too, so it matches well. But I'm a nice guy too.

Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

haha, shit that was quick.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm from Michigan and my accent is that I don't have one.

Everyone has an accent.  I have an American accent, with just a twist of Oklahoma

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetif I had to give an example to the way I speak, I would prolly say watch Die Hard and see how Willis talks during that movie

Okay... if you say so.

I imagine one of the agents from the Matrix, if they were a little kid.

Gold Trumpet

But Oklahoma is towards the south, which is filled with an accent. It may be just me, but the general northern accent feels like there is just none at all. Most actors try to get that kind of non-placeable accent.

And really, I do sound that way, but maybe more low key though. Maybe it just seems lost when I get into discussing something, but it really is there.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

okay... so you sound like you're tired all the time.

Trust me, it doesn't sound like an accent to you, but there is one... everyone has an accent, but I do know what you mean.

dufresne

i met a guy from MI once whose voice could have landed a lead role in Fargo, dontha know.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Teddy

THE ROYAL TENNENBAUMS is great.  And it would be accurate to call it a "fairy tale."  The word Wes Anderson used to was actually "fable."
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetPunchdrunk,
I agree it is entertaining to watch through how it executes its style, but that isn't the best of things to really have. The second time I watched it, the fluff of that entertainment quality began to lose appeal and I went looking for more and really didn't find it. It's entertainment value on first viewing seems to be the only thing really with the film.

How would it have been dissapointing in a no name was playing Glover's role? Sure, with already seen a known name playing it, it may be, but what importance did his character really hold in structure to the movie? His character was the man Anjelica Huston fell in love, but in the minimal time he got on screen, Glover stood around and talked. Glover's role was so small, and actually, it was a tool role, a role basically of the importance to drive Hackman's character into jealousy and wanting to gain back his family. That's it. You didn't reason out why said he was perfect so your disagreement was hard me to defend in the first place. I don't mind disagreement, but give me a fair shot.

Actually, the problem with so many characters didn't need to extend to Magnolia length or stay at its present form and give less time to each character, but really just needed some characters taken out completely. And even though a gasp may come from some fans of Anderson, don't worry. This has been done before. Olivier took out some characters when he filmed Hamlet not to just do so, but so he could have a sharper focus on Hamlet in order to deepen the power of his struggle. This movie has too many loose ends in its story and focus but refuses to get rid of it for fear it will lose its charm of cuteness when actually it has so much more to gain by doing so.

~rougerum

Trumpet,

First, the fact that you said Glover's character drove Royal to get his family back (or at least win back Huston's character) makes his character important enough to be in the film.  Glover's character (in McKee's terms :( ) was the inciting incident.....
Secondly, I suppose what it boils down to is whether you went to this movie looking for an astounding story.  I'll agree with you that it doesn't have the greatest story, but I found the characters so colorful and funny, that I let the lack of story slide.  The combination of lack of story/abundance of character made the movie palatable for me.
Anyway, enough of my ranting.  We all have our own opinions man. :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Gold Trumpet

PD,
I'm not sure if he is really the inciting character, or really the character that holds the excuse for the jealousy of Hackman's character. Nonetheless, time given to his build up and situation is minimal at best. The movie does not even identify why Anjelica Huston considers his marriage proposal and not any of the other suitors she met up with earlier when Glover does so. I did also let a lot slide, because it was entertaining to watch, but that can only go so far after trying to watch the movie all the time.

~rougerum

chainsmoking insomniac

If the movie sucks, why do you watch it all the time???  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

chainsmoking insomniac

It's quite apparent why Angelica Huston's character decides to marry Glover's character.  He's a sweet, gentle accountant.  Look at the husbands  she'd had in the past....she's obviously ready for a quiet, unassuming gentleman instead of the standard fare of egomaniacs (i.e. Royal)....
I think we're starting to split hairs, although I do love spirited discussions :)
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Gold Trumpet

As insane as it may sound, I never really ever get mad during discussions focusing on a certain subject in depth. I love them and search out for them all the time here.

I think your assessment of Glover's character in importance to Huston really isn't all that clarifying. First off, in the montage detailing all the potential suitors, it can be reasonably said their were nice men among that crowd, even if rich, that didn't share the mean spirited qualities of Hackman. And second, I think you are trying to find answers more so here than really give them. I think since their is hardly any little reason given why Glover holds so true to Huston, people try to search for answers of interpretation to why he does as he stands there looking at her sincerely and being patient with her. Yes, those qualities can definitely be said to be of good ones for Huston in wanting to marry them, but they don't really stand though on her actually wanting to marry someone. There's more and whatever that more is, this movie won't say. Actually, it is a great idea to try to make a love story out of just actions and no explanation to why one sees so much in another, but this movie isn't searching for those mysteries, but showing this relationship as an example to forward another story. Glover acts like he is standing around for the conveniance of being in the shot while Huston talks to other members of her family. Of course I know that isn't true, but it feels like considering all he does.

~rougerum

chainsmoking insomniac

Well, to lay to rest this whole Huston/Glover 'dilemma', let me just say this: perhaps Anderson wanted us to have our own opinion on why they got together.  And as for the flashbacks to all the suitors, they were assholes man.  Sorry, no ifs ands or buts.  
Since I'm not in Wes's noggin, all I can really do is look for answers. Right? :)
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en