The Day After Tomorrow

Started by MacGuffin, November 05, 2003, 12:07:41 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: May 28th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Dennis Quaid (Professor Adrian Hall), Jake Gyllenhaal (Samuel Hall), Emmy Rossum (Laura), Sela Ward (Lucy Hall), Joe Cobden (Zack), Jared Harris, Rick Hoffman, Perry King, Kenneth Moskow (Bob), Austin Nichols, Nestor Serrano, Arjay Smith, Tamlyn Tomita (Janet)

Director: Roland Emmerich (The Patriot, Godzilla, Independence Day, Stargate)

Screenwriter: Roland Emmerich (cowriter of Godzilla, Independence Day, Stargate), Jeffrey Nachmanoff (cowriter of 1993's 'The Big Gig')

Premise: This movie takes a big-budget, special-effects-filled look at what the world would look like if the greenhouse effect and global warming continued at such levels that they resulted in worldwide catastrophe and disaster, including multiple hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes (I don't quite get the science of that one), tidal waves, floods and the beginning of the next Ice Age. At the center of the story is a paleoclimatologist (a scientist who studies the ways weather patterns changed in the past), Professor Adrian Hall (Quaid), who tries to save the world from the effects of global warming while also trying to get to his son, Sam (Gyllenhaal), who was in New York City as part of a scholastic competition, when the city was overwhelmed by the chilling beginnings of the new Ice Age. In addition to all of the other challenges Dr. Hall faces, he's also going against the flow as humanity races south to warmer climes, and he's nearly the only one going north... (Rossum plays another student, and Gyllenhaal's romantic interest; Ward plays Quaid's wife and Gyllenhaal's mother; Serrano plays Quaid's boss)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Very nice trailer (minus some rather old fashioned CG work). I had zero anticipation for another Emmerich film, but this is a promising glimpse. Of course, that's easy to do with such a short teaser.

Within a few weeks of each other next summer, we'll have 'The Day After Tommorrow' and 'The World Of Tomorrow' being released, and I believe both are from the same studio...I wonder which one will buckle and change their title.

NEON MERCURY

...::sprays easy cheese into his mouth::

..AWWWWWWWWWW  tha-weet  another disaster film.(literally and figuratively)......

Newtron

Quote from: NEON MERCURY...::sprays easy cheese into his mouth::

..AWWWWWWWWWW  tha-weet  another disaster film.(literally and figuratively)......
Whatever, this is a good premise. Once again someone stole my idea, title, and main cast even.

I'm just going to stop thinking altogether, HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT HUH UNIVERSAL CONSCIOUSNESS??????! *shakes fist to sky*

TheVoiceOfNick

Ok... my comments:

A) It comes out two days before my birthday... instant cool (pun intended)

B) The first 20 seconds of the trailer looks strangely like the trailer for my short film "The Radio"... coincidence?  I think not...

C) This looks like a combination of Independence Day, Earthquake, Twister, et all...

D) I bet you anything everything in this trailer happens in the first 5 minutes of the movie... the rest of the movie will be very slow, low budget, interior shots with dramatic human interactions....

bonanzataz

i hope this one changes its title. i think it's a pretty stupid title for a disaster film.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

picolas

damn that looks nice.

the (happy) ending'll probably involve a grappling hook, though.

MrBurgerKing

Speaking of the apocalypse, I'm glad there's a new flick coming out to show the demise of our world. Everyone running like animals for their lives. I just think that's how it would be, every man for himself.. Kinda like the Burger King soda machines during lunch hour.

I liked some of these images from the trailer --- the millions of birds migrating, the tornadoes ripping apart major buildings (particularly that big building, all the windows shooting out with the wind), and the city covered in snow.

coffeebeetle

Folks, this is standard CGI-driven Hollywood SHITE.  But I'll see it anyway...just....because it's the end of the world.

*Slaps himself for his obvious contradiction*
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Alethia

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: taz.i hope this one changes its title. i think it's a pretty stupid title for a disaster film.

Punch-Drunk Love wasn't much of a title either... but then it grew on me...

nix

I always liked the title Punch-Drunk Love. As for The Day After Tomorrow... shit title, and most likely shit movie from the director of Universal Soldier.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Banky

it sound s like the name for a bond film

Gamblour.

The scene with the wall of water coming towards the cars...um isn't this the exact same shot as the fire coming towards the cars in Independence Day? With the people looking back and running away from the camera?Way to reinvent yourself Emmerich. I mean, the shots were kinda eerie, like the stupid reporter right in front of the tornado, or the tornado eating away at the Hollywood sign. Overall, looks kinda lame, but I'm gonna see it. And the title, kinda funny sounding, could also be called, "Two Days From Now" "One Day From Today if You Don't Count Today" "After 48 Hours" "The Tomorrow of Tomorrow (sounds like a soap opera)"
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

my original working title for the script was The Future Of The Future.. seems there's no way to get around it really.
under the paving stones.