Tropic Thunder

Started by MacGuffin, March 18, 2008, 10:21:41 AM

El Duderino

Fantastic! Best comedy of 2008 so far.

SPOILERS!

I know it's been said many, many times, but let me reiterate how fucking good Tom Cruise is in this movie. Just the way he dances is fucking amazing.

END SPOILERS!

Robert Downey Jr. is the shit, as usual. Jack Black is funny, and I think it's Ben Stiller's best comedic role thus far in his career.

Go see this movie. Enjoy yourself.

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Stefen

You just read the poster.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ghostboy

Ravi

This is a hilarious satire on Hollywood egos and self-importance.  It is consistently funny throughout.  I was hoping it wouldn't lose focus and become unwieldy but thankfully it never does.  It stays together as a whole, instead of merely a collection of funny moments.

Gold Trumpet

Fuck, I thought this would be good. It was horrible. It wasn't even funny. Yea, it's satire but it's so overblown and ridiculous it just fits with other bad Hollywood trends. I see enough movies and shows that mock Hollywood arrogance but discredit themselves because they still exempifly a milliion cliches. It's become a new bad genre onto itself. Tropic Thunder fits into that category because it has very little insight into Hollywood. Yea, actors are arrogant and drug riddled, but come on. Most of the references within the film were mainly absurd without truly being undermining. Someone who watches a lot of Access Hollywood could have made all the criticisms of Hollywood that were in this film. The funniest scenes in the film were just oddball moments of goofiness like Downey Jr. saying he felt like a nervous boy who has to play with his dick.

The best criticisms (if intended) was having Tom Cruise appear in anti Tom Cruise role and having Ben Stiller play a Tom Cruise type character. It is coincidence that Tom Cruise was recently denied Mission Impossible 4 because he was too old and the next week Ben Stiller plays a role like this. That's funny, but it's still not good satire. To be good satire the film would have to exist on a level above the material and exist to focus on the jokes, but the editing in the film is MTV riddled and even if the intention is to mock MTV, the film still has that editing and filmmaking everywhere that it becomes an existence for the film and not a criticism of anything.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on August 14, 2008, 05:44:55 PM
Fuck, I thought this would be good. It was horrible.

I see your point and I do not want to debate you because I agree with you whole-heartedley  (bad spelling) on many films and topics. Examples (Your thoughts on Mamet and Die Hard.) What I suggest for viewing future films is assume the worst about each film you plunk down 10 dollars plus on. Then you can never be disappointed.  This is a shot in the dark, and I may be a compete ass and off course with this theory but...you seem to have trouble just outright enjoying films, at least new ones. But what the hell do I know? Supposedly I like everything.

Also, a question off topic. Why did you stop posting your DVD buys? Are you afraid we will critique what you buy and you will have to defend yourself? Or do you find it completely useless to do so?

Ready for you to really lay into me....come on, really let me have it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

I saw this coming when everyone else was saying it was good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SiliasRuby on August 14, 2008, 06:40:59 PM
This is a shot in the dark, and I may be a compete ass and off course with this theory but...you seem to have trouble just outright enjoying films, at least new ones. But what the hell do I know? Supposedly I like everything.

Actually, I consider myself way too easy to please. This is the kind of movie I want to relax to. Tropic Thunder has some high minded ideas about satire, but it's mainly a dumb comedy. I didn't find it very funny and the few times I did laugh I felt like I was forcing it because I was in the mood to like the movie, but nothing was really funny. The jokes were all dull and nothing rang of real satire. I went to the movie with a friend. Before the movie she was telling me how wrong I was about Pineapple Express and how she expected to love Tropic Thunder, but the film also did nothing for her.

I don't consider myself odd for not liking this. I have no idea why anyone likes it and I imagine some others on the board will also dislike it too.

Also, a question off topic. Why did you stop posting your DVD buys? Are you afraid we will critique what you buy and you will have to defend yourself? Or do you find it completely useless to do so?

When did I ever post about my DVD buys? If I remember correctly I've mainly criticized the thread for being just posts of DVD covers with no explanation to why someone purchased it. Pubes gave me shit for saying that and mentioned my Criterion thread was the same equivalent, but of course I disagree with that. When I first began on the board I do believe I did post a few purchases, but no more than 3 times at most.

I don't post there because I dont give a shit to. I could never imagine anyone really caring about what I buy so it seems like a waste of time. It has nothing to do with me being afraid of what others think of me. If I did care about that I would pretty much never post.

Ready for you to really lay into me....come on, really let me have it.

I have no interest to attack you. I try to just go after the movies I dislike.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on August 14, 2008, 07:14:07 PM

I saw this coming when everyone else was saying it was good.

Yea, as soon I saw three favorable reviews I knew the pressure was on for me to like this. I was suppose to see the early showing yesterday so I wanted my review to beat out everyone else's, but that didn't work out. Now I get to have some of you continue to believe the silly idea that me going against the grain is what drives my opinion of movies, but like I give a shit.

Actually, Silias going out of his way to say he really liked this movie made me excited because I remember he was the first person to like Mr. Brooks and I also very much liked that movie, but it didn't work out this time.

SoNowThen

This will be the first mainstream movie I pay to see in the theatre since the fucking horrendous abortion known as Batman Begins.

Seriously, this looks hilarious. Even fucking funnier -- I dunno if you guys have seen this -- is the fake Coppola documentary "Rain Of Madness" website, complete with Herzog-like documentary director. Any Herzog jokes are just pure gold.

http://www.rainofmadness.com/

Can someone who's seen this confirm for me if the Herzog character is actually in the movie? Or is it just this advertising tie-in stuff?

Jeez, I think I'm more excited about the ads...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

The ads are definitely better than the movie. And the documentary director (who's Justin Theroux, the co-writer) isn't in it.

SoNowThen

Damn damn damn... maybe they'll eventually release some kind of extended version of Rain Of Madness then... dvd extra maybe...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SiliasRuby

Its all going to be on the DVD.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

abuck1220

ugh...the tom cruise shit was terrible. hey look, i'm tom cruise playing a totally non-tom cruise type role! i don't take myself too seriously!

the rest of the movie was choppy and awkward and really not that funny. jack black and two lesser known actors playing actors were the best parts. downey obviously gave a good performance, but i didn't think his stuff was really that funny.