The Terminal

Started by modage, July 17, 2003, 12:11:39 PM

mutinyco

Mac, at 6664, you're 2 posts from giving Satan a run for his money.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: RaviDo you have a link to the real story?  I don't know what to search for.

http://www.snopes.com/travel/airline/airport.htm

Thanks for the link.  I hope The Terminal retains some of the sadness of the real story.

QuoteOn 17 September 1999, an international travel card and a French residency permit were put into Nasseri's hands. With them, he's now free to leave the airport, either to take up residency in France or to fly to another country that will allow him entry. He refuses to sign them, however, because they list his nationality as Iranian, and he wants it listed as British. He remains at Charles de Gaulle airport, determined to stick to this point rather than face life outside the terminal.

So he's going to stay in the airport forever because he doesn't want his nationality listed as Iranian?

tpfkabi

Quote from: SHAFTRI heard that the opening scene of The Terminal is an homage to Tati's Playtime.  That excites me.

that sounds cool........if this isn't the title sequence, i hope he gets the same guy that did the Catch Me If You Can sequence
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideas
Quote from: SHAFTRI heard that the opening scene of The Terminal is an homage to Tati's Playtime.  That excites me.

that sounds cool........if this isn't the title sequence, i hope he gets the same guy that did the Catch Me If You Can sequence

From Entertainment Weekly:

Filmbuffs may also notice passing visual echoes of French director Jacques Tati's 1967 comedy "Playtime," the opening of which is set in a blandly homogenized airport and to which Spielberg says he's paying "very slight homage" here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Quote from: bigideasthat sounds cool........if this isn't the title sequence, i hope he gets the same guy that did the Catch Me If You Can sequence

the guys who did that opening title sequence were Hammer & Tongs, who are working on a film right now, so i doubt they will have time to do the titles for Terminal

mutinyco

Then he could always use Imaginary Forces, who did Minority Report...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

tpfkabi

Quote from: meatwad
Quote from: bigideasthat sounds cool........if this isn't the title sequence, i hope he gets the same guy that did the Catch Me If You Can sequence

the guys who did that opening title sequence were Hammer & Tongs, who are working on a film right now, so i doubt they will have time to do the titles for Terminal

is it some kind of animated film in the vein of that sequence?
personally, i think that is one of the best title sequences in a long, long time......it makes me think of the great stuff that Saul Bass did

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: mutinycoThen he could always use Imaginary Forces, who did Minority Report...

thaT SH*T WAS PHUCKING KILLER..... :yabbse-thumbup:

meatwad

Quote from: bigideasis it some kind of animated film in the vein of that sequence?personally, i think that is one of the best title sequences in a long, long time......it makes me think of the great stuff that Saul Bass did

It's Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. It's not animated, although it may have some animation, i'm not sure. They have done lots of cool music videos, you should check them out

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasis it some kind of animated film in the vein of that sequence?
personally, i think that is one of the best title sequences in a long, long time......it makes me think of the great stuff that Saul Bass did
that's cos it was an homage to saul bass. i don't expect they will be milking that technique again. if they do then they're really out of ideas.

they can and hav done better.
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

did they specifically mention Bass in refernce to?

where can i check out more of their stuff online?

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideaswhere can i check out more of their stuff online?
http://www.tongsville.com/
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

-St. Joe

matt35mm

Alethia

thats a hell of a good review....hope the film lives up to it