The Terminal

Started by modage, July 17, 2003, 12:11:39 PM

RegularKarate

My grade for this movie:  Snore +

modage

actually i think i gave the movie a B or a B-.  i just feel like its a C effort from an A student.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

The worst part about Speilberg is that he can coast his way through movies and still be enjoyable. The Terminal isn't very good. Its Spielberg almost on auto drive. What is new here is that Speilberg is exploring humor by way of Jacques Tati, but instead of fully wrapping himself in that world, it feels like he just watched Punch-Drunk Love a lot of times and didn't even know Jacques Tati existed. It's a piling of little moments in the middle of an average film that hardly give the film identity. Then there is the average film aspect of it, the tender story of an odd ball romance that could only feel so charming in the hands of Speilberg. E.T. was believable. The Terminal is not. I just never believed in the romance of Hanks and Zeta jones for one second and when the plot swung to the grandoise at the end, I felt it was reaching for too much, trying too hard to extend itself past what was believable or even intriguing in the premise. At least with Catch Me if You Can, the story felt like it was down to earth, just telling its genre story and I enjoyed myself for what that movie was. Its dissapointing I couldn't do the same here and its continually dissapointing that Speilberg refuses to challenge himself with anything bigger than Schindler's List, especially considering the poor sales all his recent entertainment films have been.

modage

what do you mean 'bigger' than schindlers list?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhat is new here is that Speilberg is exploring humor by way of Jacques Tati, but instead of fully wrapping himself in that world, it feels like he just watched Punch-Drunk Love a lot of times and didn't even know Jacques Tati existed.

GT, that one sentence is brilliant.........thats why i read your reviews...
...... :yabbse-thumbup: .

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02what do you mean 'bigger' than schindlers list?

Well, if that word didn't float your boat, I'll also add his films could try to be as mature, daring and honest as that film. He's a master director in my eyes, but he continues to float through fluff subjects mostly.

modage

okay, i'll agree with that (atleast in regards to The Terminal or Catch Me If You Can.)  i do have much love for his dark sci-fi.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWell, if that word didn't float your boat, I'll also add his films could try to be as mature, daring and honest as that film. He's a master director in my eyes, but he continues to float through fluff subjects mostly.
AI and minority report were easily as mature as that. in my HUMBLE OMG opinion, really, apart from the extended endings, which Schindlers (aka Saving Private Ryan) had too, (hav always had) it's all been good with spielberg since the 2000s.. he's ageing pretty well. not kubrick well, but well enuff.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

AI and Minority Report were both more mature than they are given credit for. Minority Report just for the vomiting alone.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Julius Orange

Quote from: StefenMinority Report just for the vomiting alone.
But I only vomit when I'm a kid :?:

Thanks
email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

SiliasRuby

DVD Release
Source: www.davisdvd.com
Release Date: November 23
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Universal has announced The Terminal which stars the likes of Tom Hanks, Catherine Zeta Jones and Stanley Tucci. This new Steven Spielberg directed film, will be available to own from the 23rd November this year in both single and double-disc limited edition giftset form. Each will carry a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen presentation along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, DTS 5.1 Surround and Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo tracks. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be included. Extras on the limited edition set will include The Take Off: Making The Terminal featurette, a feature that gives you an exclusive tour of the incredible sets of the film, Boarding: The People of The Terminal which includes interviews with Hanks, Spielberg etc and an In-Flight Service: Music of The Terminal featurette. Rounding off the limited edition set will be an exclusive The Terminal gift, although we don't know what it will be yet!

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

So I just watched this. I have a love/hate relationship with this very good debacle. First of all, it's pretty much the closest to art-house Spielberg you are going to get. It only uses one location really, a cast of enseble actors who WE recognize, it was cute, and Zeta Jones was a slut who always wanted it so that was cool. But....What is up with Spielberg stereotyping minorities. It was like it was in real life, all the minorities worked in the shadows and had fun out of public view with things like playng cards and stuff, as oppose to hitting up clubs and what not. And most of them were doing something wrong, and had to flee the country or something, it was pitiful. And the product placement, holy shit, Spielberg you corporate whore. There was blatant placement for Burger King, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble and many more, but it was awful cause it was all up in your face. Spielberg really needs to get a new DP cause Kaminski isn't cutting it any more, same shit, different film. Overall, it was quite enjoyable.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

classical gas

Quote from: StefenAnd the product placement, holy shit, Spielberg you corporate whore. There was blatant placement for Burger King, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble and many more, but it was awful cause it was all up in your face.

Wasn't it worse in Minority Report?  Of course, in that film, he used it as a horror among the horizons, but i'll be damned if he didn't get paid for it.

Alethia

umm i think the product placement was kinda necessary though...how at home would you have felt in that airport if it was filled with a bunch of fictional brandnames?  that said, i didn't really like the terminal very much..