South Park Appreciation

Started by SoNowThen, July 03, 2003, 09:21:08 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Reelist on April 30, 2010, 09:17:02 AM
But that just tells me what kind of person you are, probably the less ballsy type that likes their entertainment spoon-fed to them

OK, this is a personal jab, but let me not be too reactionary. I like the idea of South Park more. The show just isn't what it used to be. I try to watch new episodes and I want to kill myself for how much the show drags through the standard set ups. As soon as you get a topic, you get a very dumb and irrational plot to suggest its stupidity. Since these things are too dumb to connect to anything known as satire, they are as interchangeable as the dumbest aspects of Family Guy. Then when the plot unwinds, you get some funny things because elements of the story are coming together, but then you get ridiculous preaching. As Salman Rushdie says, preaching is the worst thing any story can do. I'll take Family Guy stupidity over it any day.

I can watch a bad Family Guy episode and generally enjoy it if I am bored. A bad episode of South Park is nails on the chalkboard for me.

Reel

Quote from: children with angels on April 30, 2010, 09:36:18 AM
how is it more ballsy and less spoon-fed for a show to always have a strong, classical story structure?

Because South park sticks to the point okay? If there is a running joke on the show, its because some character or topic is the cause of that show, so there is a formula and the funniness is almost never random or stupid like family guy, the humor just makes sense and I think if you can stand by what you think is funny based on your loyalty to a show it just makes you ballsy, and you're as invested in watching it thrive as the people who make it.

I can kind of agree with Golden Trumpet about the status of South park not being what it used to, but it still manages to touch on such a wide range of topics every season that I think its just grown a bit more, I love how you know what you're going to get when you watch it and it doesn't sway from its politics or try to be goofy for its own sake. Best cartoon show on Tv.

Neil

Oh shit, I'm glad i found the South Park thread;  Finally, I found out what i've been misssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reel

I just don't want to talk about this show if it's going to be compared with Family guy. Compare it to the Simpsons. Compare Family guy to Robot chicken

OrHowILearnedTo

At least Robot Chicken presents itself as a sketch show, and doesn't ask for any emotional connection between its characters and the audience.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Reelist on May 08, 2010, 04:45:53 PM
I just don't want to talk about this show if it's going to be compared with Family guy. Compare it to the Simpsons. Compare Family guy to Robot chicken

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You don't have to like South Park to realize how important it is to the media in general.  They have occasional off-episodes that aren't as funny, but they are more than made up for when they strike the pulse of society's problems at large.

It's pretty awesome to see where the show has started and where it's come to now.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

'South Park' Creators Apologize for Lifting Dialogue Off of CollegeHumor Website
Source: THR

South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker have apologized to the makers of a CollegeHumor video for using dialogue from the Web short for an episode of the Comedy Central show that ran Wednesday.

The South Park episode "Insheeption" and the CollegeHumor video "Inception Characters Don't Understand Inception," which was posted online in August, both parodied the complex language and theories of the hit film "Inception." The two projects featured the exact same line, "Sometimes my thoughts of my dead wife manifest themselves as trains," as well as other similar wording.

Stone explained the gaff to the New York Times Friday, saying that when he and Parker couldn't get a hold of the actual movie for reference they turned to the Internet and mistakenly thought the dialogue used in the CollegeHumor video were taken directly from the Christopher Nolan picture.

Stone told the Times, "It's just because we do the show in six days, and we're stupid and we just threw it together. But in the end, there are some lines that we had to call and apologize for."

Dan Gurewitch, who penned the CollegeHumor parody with David Young, wrote on his blog Friday that Stone was "extremely nice and apologetic" about the incident, and that there were no hard feelings. Gurewitch said, "All is well, and we're going to meet with Matt and Trey when they're in New York."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cronopio 2

i saw that episode last night and it wasn't as poignant as a south park parody usually is.
inception's a fucking good movie.

Reel

this ish is pretty funny y'all

Pubrick

not really..

i'd rather hear more about the broadway musical. anyone want to chase up some info on that?
under the paving stones.

modage

I'm going to see it next week.  I'll let you know how it is.   :yabbse-grin:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

Zachary Adam Chesser ( AKA Abhu Talha Al-Amrikee), 21, who posted online threats against South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker for their depiction of the Prophet Muhammad, was sentenced to 25 years in prison on Feb. 24th. Chesser Pleaded guilty last October to three felonies.

In his blog he wrote:
"We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show," Al-Amrikee wrote. "This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them." Some responses to Al-Amrikee's blog posts talk about the sick and gruesome killing of Parker and Stone.

Al-Amrikee also posted the addresses of Comedy Central, Parker and Stone's California production office and a Colorado retreat owned by the two animators.

Pas

Oh man he would've made a good Oz character

pete

Quote from: Reelist on March 03, 2011, 11:43:37 AM
Zachary Adam Chesser, 21, who posted online threats against South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker for their depiction of the Prophet Muhammad, was sentenced to 25 years in prison on Feb. 24th. Chesser Pleaded guilty last October to three felonies.

In his blog he wrote:
"We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show," Al-Amrikee wrote. "This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them." Some responses to Al-Amrikee's blog posts talk about the sick and gruesome killing of Parker and Stone.

Al-Amrikee also posted the addresses of Comedy Central, Parker and Stone's California production office and a Colorado retreat owned by the two animators.

very confusing report because it was not clear that the person had two names.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton