South Park Appreciation

Started by SoNowThen, July 03, 2003, 09:21:08 AM

Neil

Here's the confusing part, "this is not a threat, but..."

gtfo.

The 'super friends' episode already showed Mohammad, am i wrong here?

The one with moses, jesus and co. If my memory is right.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reel

What a fucktard, 25 years for a blog post?!?!?!?!

Stefen

25 years because he threatened to kill those two guys who are always offending everyone? And he did it on a blog post?

SERIOUSLY?

What should have happened...

"lol. But really, just leave those two nerds alone. If you don't like what they say on their penis and fart cartoon show, just don't watch it, okay? I'm going to give you a $60 fine and a two-hour anger management class on a Saturday morning. Just leave each other alone. Act like adults, please."

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

home addresses make a difference, I suspect.
that and the fact that we're all making conclusions based on one paragraph of news pulled from somewhere.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

and the fact he tried to take/kidnap his son in order for them to join some terrorist jihad thing in Somalia.

Pubrick

hear the Book of Mormon musical in its entirety, link goes to a page where you can play the whole thing streaming (1hr 8min 23sec) or you can choose individual tracks and there's also a short article about the whole thing.
under the paving stones.

modage

For anyone who hasn't seen (and is planning on seeing) the actual play, I'd hold off. The songs are total SPOILERS!

Also: the play is amazing.

Though I haven't seen that many, "The Book of Mormon" was probably the best Broadway musical I've ever seen. Written by the "South Park" duo Trey Parker and Matt Stone, along with "Avenue Q" co-creator Robert Lopez, the show centers on a pair of Mormons sent from Salt Lake City to complete their 2 year Mission in Uganda. When they arrive they find the people are riddled with poverty, AIDS and controlled by a warlord, so finding new converts is not going to be as easy as they expected.

The show is expectedly hilarious but what I didn't anticipate is that the show is also a very sincere musical. It doesn't set out to trash Mormons or religion in general, it definitely points out some ridiculous elements but doesn't do so at the expense of the characters. The show plays by Broadway conventions but also tweaks a few of them along the way. It's hilarious from beginning to end, the cast is great and it's not likely to offend anyone you'd ever want to hang out with.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

Did SP just call it quits? That last ep really got to me, it was weird. I had to re-watch it as soon as it was over...

It'd be crazy if they went full story arch with the last 6 episodes, i know Trey and Matt have it in 'em to really write some powerful stuff...
they should just go for it, along with Book of Mormon, and do a total 180, not losing any of their bite, just focusing more on taking it seriously. They really do seem like two genuinely smart guys, i bet they could totally top themselves and peak again.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

squints

It seems that way, right? I'd be completely fine with this being the last season.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

What's going on?

Someone catch me up.

I haven't been paying attention for the past ten years.
under the paving stones.

ono

72teeth - 7 episodes.

It's in no way "quits."  The creators are just kind of burned out, what with being busy with their musical.  This last episode (only halfway through this current season, the second half to resume in the fall) was about Stan turning 10 and being faced with an ailment where everything his friends like (music, movies, video games, etc.) sounds like shit to him.  His mom stops him from listening to a CD his friends gave him.  His dad takes it, and listens, trying to prove he's still young and hip.  He ends up playing bad music in some dive with a Stevie Nicks soundalike (they love to pick on her -- they once compared her to a goat).  Eventually, Stan's friends start avoiding him, and Stan's parents grow apart and separate, saying they've grown tired of rehashing the same things over and over again.  The episode ends with Stan spiraling down further and further in his funk where everyone he sees who says anything to him spews shit instead of saying anything intelligible.  At least that's when the DVR cut off.  Or here, Wiki usually does it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27re_Getting_Old

diggler

I wasn't prepared for that 180 at the end and it actually really got to me. Suddenly I realized "holy shit... they're talking about themselves", it was actually kind of... profound? They seem to be acknowledging that the well is dry and that they'd rather go out strong rather than let it drag on and on (because hey, Simpsons did it)
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

i loved it, south park has always held a special place for me, probably too much for a show mostly about poop jokes. But ever since i saw that first episode at 9 years old in 1995 i've been hooked. I'd rather it go out this way, with a little more weight to a story than that whole Mint Berry Crunch bs from last season.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cronopio 2

be it as it may, i prefer a weak south park episode over a weak simpsons ep (does the term weak even apply anymore), although that's an unfair comparison. i'd compare parker and stone to persons of uncompromised honesty and craft like bill watterson or charles shultz, and matt groening to somebody like his greedy boss rupert murdoch or napoleon.

OrHowILearnedTo

matt groening hasn't made a creative decision on that show for like 15 years (maybe that was your point?)