Who are you favorite movie heroes?

Started by El Duderino, March 14, 2004, 12:11:10 PM

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinFor godardian:

:lol:

This works, too:

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Just Withnail

Marty McFly...Back to the Future trilogy
Sam Lowry...Brazil
Eric Draven...The Crow
Edward Scissorhands...don't remember the title
Forrest Gump...
Dumbo...
Ashitaka...Princess Mononoke

No introduction neccesary:

modage

The new issue of Premiere has the 100 Greatest Movie Characters Of All Time.

1. Vito Corleone
2. Fred C. Dobbs
3. Scarlett O'Hara
4. Norman Bates
5. James Bond
6. Annie Hall
7. Indiana Jones
8. Ellen Ripley
9. Jeff Spicoli
10. Gollum
11. Margo Channing
12. Charles Foster Kane
13. Atticus Finch
14. Randle Patrick McMurphy
15. Hannibal Lecter
16. Robin Hood
17. Dorothy Gale
18. Carl Spackler
19. Rick Blaine
20. Detective Virgil Tibbs
21. Susan Vance
22. Travis Bickle
23. Ethan Edwards
24. The Little Tramp
25. Gordon Gekko

the rest of the list is in the magazine.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Because I have no life...

26. E.T.
27. Marge Gunderson - Fargo
28. Captain Quint - Jaws
29. Daphne/Jerry - Some Like It Hot
30. King Kong
31. Norma Desmond - Sunset Blvd.
32. Holly Golightly - Brekfast At Tiffany's
33. Ratso Rizzo - Midnight Cowboy
34. Bonnie Parker - Bonnie & Clyde
35. Dr. Evil - Austin Powers
36. Alex Forrest - Fatal Attraction
37. Jake Gittes - Chinatown
38. Willy Wonka
39. Michael Dorsey/Dorthy Michaels - Tootsie
40. The Terminator
41. Jane Craig - Braodcast News
42. "Dirty" Harry Callahan
43. Forrest Gump
44. Jules Winfield - Pulp Fiction
45. Mary Poppins
46. John McClaine - Die Hard
47. Mrs. Robinson - The Graduate
48. John "Bluto" Blutarsky - Animal House
49. Chance The Gardener - Being There
50. Blondie - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
51. Freddy Krueger
52. Howard Beale - Network
53. Ninotchka
54. Frank Booth - Blue Velvet
55. The Dude - Big Lebowski
56. Alan Swann - My Favorite Year
57. Tom Powers - Public Enemy
58. Phyliss Dietrichson - Double Indemnity
59. Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore - Apocalypse Now
60. George Bailey - It's A Wonderful Life
61. J.J. Hunsecker - Sweet Smell Of Success
62. John Shaft
63. Carrie White
64. Rocky Balboa
65. Edward Scissorhands
66. Navin Johnson - The Jerk
67. Inspector Clouseau
68. Alex DeLarge - Clockwork Orange
69. Terry Malloy - On The Waterfront
70. Pvt. Benjamin
71. Rev. Harry Powell - Night Of The Hunter
72. Lloyd Dobler - Say Anything...
73. Norma Rae
74. Tony Montana - Scarface
75. Dr. Strangelove
76. Tony Manero - Saturday Night Fever
77. Anniw Wilkes - Misery
78. "Mad" Max
79. Hans Beckert - M
80. Sam Spade - Maltese Falcon
81. Aurora Greenway - Terms Of Endearment
82. Jack Torrance - The Shining
83. Bill The Butcher - Gangs Of New York
84. Darth Vader
85. Stanley Kowalski - Streetcar Named Desire
86. Melanie Daniels - The Birds
87. Capt. Jack Sparrow - Pirates Of The Carribean
88. Raymond Babbitt - RainMan
89. Sandy Olsson - Grease
90. John Malkovich - Being John Malkovich
91. Mrs. Iselin - Manchurian Candidate
92. Dil - Crying Game
93. Harry Lime - Third Man
94. Rose Sayer - African Queen
95. Oda Mae Brown - Ghost
96. Tommy DeVito - GoodFellas
97. Ace Ventura
98. Anroine Doinel - 400 Blows
99. Kevin McCallister - Home Alone
100. Roger "Verbal" Kint - Usual Suspects
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

My heroes have always been anti-heroes -- Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces, Warren Beatty in pretty much anything he appears in, Fonda and Hopper in Easy Rider, Brando in Last Tango, Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs, etc.  I think most heroes (John Wayne, Harrison Ford, 007, etc.) are dull, utterly devoid of vulnerability and quirks.

How Dirty Harry could be No. 42, and Gollum No. 10, just shows that whoever compiled that Premiere list has been smoking crack.  Dirty Harry is probably one of the most iconic characters in cinema history -- how many cop movies and cop shows haven't been influenced by Dirty Harry?  Hell, President Reagan quoted Dirty Harry when he warned Congress not to raise taxes.  Even people who haven't seen the Dirty Harry movies know who Dirty Harry is.  In five years, the public clamor for Lord of the Rings will fade, but Harry will still tower over most other cinematic creations.
Music is your best entertainment value.

cine

Quote from: themodernage02
The new issue of Premiere has the 100 Greatest Movie Characters Of All Time.
No Buster Keaton? That's disgusting.

modage

Quote from: soixanteI think most heroes (John Wayne, Harrison Ford, 007, etc.) are dull, utterly devoid of vulnerability and quirks.
harrison ford in indiana jones or star wars is ALL quirks baby!  he's not a smooth james bond like guy.  he WISHES/acts like he is, but thats what makes him so watchable, he's not.  also, john wayne in the searchers is a pretty dark character too, closer to an anti-hero with blurred morals than a whitebread one.

Quote from: soixanteHow Dirty Harry could be No. 42, and Gollum No. 10, just shows that whoever compiled that Premiere list has been smoking crack.  Dirty Harry is probably one of the most iconic characters in cinema history.
because its a stupid list.  but, its GREATEST CHARACTERS, not most memorable or most iconic.  or most well known.  some of the performances i doubt most ordinary people would know of but they are perhaps creating better characters than some of the more well known ones.  but like i said, its just a stupid list.  and they're all great characters, the order is pretty dumb.

Quote from: CinephileNo Buster Keaton? That's disgusting.
thats because they had to make room to put orson welles on there twice, dustin hoffman three times, jack nicholson three times, katherine hepburn twice, humphrey bogart three times, marlon brando three times, etc.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

soixante

No characters from Wizard of Oz, not even the Wicked Witch of the West?  Bogus.

modage

Quote from: soixanteNo characters from Wizard of Oz, not even the Wicked Witch of the West?  Bogus.
17. Dorothy Gale

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: soixanteNo characters from Wizard of Oz, not even the Wicked Witch of the West?  Bogus.

17. Dorothy Gale

This list has its heart in the right place but I don't understand what any of these lists are trying to accomplish besides giving geeks like us something to argue about.  

Fred C. Dobbs from Treasure of the Sierra Madre is # 2 and Rick from Casablanca is # 19?  Come on.  Darth Vader at 84?  What specifically is the criteria that needs to be filled for this list, if any?  

Whoopi Goldberg's character in Ghost gets on but no Benjamin Braddock??!!!!!  Who did they poll for this? Nielsen families?

I suppose I should calm down because they actually thought to put Antoine Doinel on there.  Shocker!

Quote from: soixanteIn five years, the public clamor for Lord of the Rings will fade, but Harry will still tower over most other cinematic creations.

That's a bit hasty. Dirty Harry should have been further up over Gollum, no question about that, but I think the books' fanbase has given the Lord of the Rings films a permanent place in pop culture.  

And, seriously, when was the last time you actually heard anyone say, "Go ahead, make my day"?

godardian

Quote from: hacksparrow

This list has its heart in the right place but I don't understand what any of these lists are trying to accomplish besides giving geeks like us something to argue about.  

That is an insight to treasure. I'm begining to despise all these endless lists as nothing more than wasteful, masturbatory postmillennial decadence. They're fun to make yet pointless to read. I get more from reading the lists people post here of their favorites, etc: At least those tell me something about someone I sort of know, not just some magazine editors.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

soixante

If you want good lists, check out Sight and Sound.  Premiere is a little too LCD for me.

I didn't realize that Dorothy's last name is Gale -- which is appropriate.  Still, she should be in the Top 5.  There are few characters as indelible as the ones in Wizard of Oz.

SoNowThen

May I just point out that that is a stunningly nice picture of RRS as Bonnie...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

Quote from: SoNowThenMay I just point out that that is a stunningly nice picture of RRS as Bonnie...

amen
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

in the magazine she is also dressed as tippi hedren from the birds, glenn close from fatal attraction and olivia newton john (bad girl) from grease.