Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

Pringle

Quote from: Vicko99 on March 10, 2023, 03:56:30 PM
Quote from: gaucho_marx on March 10, 2023, 03:34:42 PM
Quote from: itwasgood on March 10, 2023, 11:38:00 AMAssuming by the logic of the hypothesis that it's Vineland adaptation, Viggo would make a great Brock Vond. Though Joaquin as Zoyd maybe? would more or less be Doc Sportello all over again. Leo as "the mentor" seems confusing because I don't think there's such male character in Vineland.

I can't remember where the 'PTA is going to adapt Vineland' talk stems from but it has always seemed like a reach for me. Especially pretty much nothing about the current rumor mill seems to suggest it? It's been a while since I read Vineland but I don't remember a 14 yr old female karate kid character. If anything maybe he's taken some of the vibe and themes of Vineland and will be doing his own thing with it sorta like TWBB. Maybe he's been mulling over Reagonomics and tube addicted weirdos in Southern California in the 80s.

"Female 14 year old karate kid" is literally the main character of the novel

No it's not

Lempwick

Quote from: Pringle on March 10, 2023, 05:02:55 PM
Quote from: itwasgood on March 10, 2023, 11:38:00 AMAssuming by the logic of the hypothesis that it's Vineland adaptation, Viggo would make a great Brock Vond. Though Joaquin as Zoyd maybe? would more or less be Doc Sportello all over again. Leo as "the mentor" seems confusing because I don't think there's such male character in Vineland.

I can't remember where the 'PTA is going to adapt Vineland' talk stems from but it has always seemed like a reach for me. Especially pretty much nothing about the current rumor mill seems to suggest it? It's been a while since I read Vineland but I don't remember a 14 yr old female karate kid character. If anything maybe he's taken some of the vibe and themes of Vineland and will be doing his own thing with it sorta like TWBB. Maybe he's been mulling over Reagonomics and tube addicted weirdos in Southern California in the 80s.

No it's not

I've only read part of the book, but is Zoyd not the main character?  He's been in every page I've read so far.  Does Prairie completely take over the book or something? 

Vicko99

Quote from: Lempwick on March 10, 2023, 06:32:41 PM

No it's not

I've only read part of the book, but is Zoyd not the main character?  He's been in every page I've read so far.  Does Prairie completely take over the book or something? 

Pretty much

itwasgood

Quote from: Lempwick on March 10, 2023, 06:32:41 PM

No it's not

Yes, mainly Prairie and some other people in her life.

itwasgood

The theory started at "martial arts" and developed by people after a rumor of this new thing being a sci-fi film. There are female ninja characters which are instrumental to Prairie's storyline and with the cyberpunk tinge of the novel it could fit the sci-fi rumor. But yes, some of the rumors seem to fit and some don't. I guess it's possible that Vineland could be only one of its inspirations.

Vicko99

It really surprises me that PTA isn't doing his usual "contrast to the previous film" thing, this sounds even more zany and caricaturesque than LP

Heisenberg

I have a hard time believing he's doing another Pynchon adaptation after IV was so poorly received. It might be inspired by Vineland, but it's most likely an original story.

jviness02

He was nominated for an Oscar for Inherent Vice and it has a pretty big cult following. It flopped at the box office, but that's not particularly unique for PTA. I don't know if "poorly received" is a fair label for IV. It's his weakest received work overall for sure, but I don't think it has some awful reputation that would make him embarrassed or weird about it. The only film he's openly embarrassed about is Magnolia.

Heisenberg

I don't mean he wouldn't want to do it, I just think it would be really difficult to convince a studio to get behind it.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Heisenberg on March 14, 2023, 07:59:22 PMI just think it would be really difficult to convince a studio to get behind it.

Which is probably where Leo factors in.

jviness02

According to PRODUCTION WEEKLY, this stars Leo, Joaquin, Regina Hall and Viggo Mortenson.

Drill

I'm going to wait until the trades confirm this. Having trouble buying this for some reason.

jviness02

wilberfan

The PRODUCTION WEEKLY entry being cited as the source of the latest casting 'news'.