eternal sunshine de l'mind spotless..

Started by Satcho9, February 03, 2003, 10:15:53 PM

Pas

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: Pas RapportWhy is there some french in this thread's title actually ?

i was wondering the same thing and it's used wrong.

It's used good actually ... Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind directly translates to Éternel(Eternal) Soleil(Sunshine) de l'Esprit(mind) Sans Taches(Spotless). The "de l'mind" is placed in the right spot.

El Duderino

really? oh well, i was reading it wrong. thanks for the clarification
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

picolas

Chest Rockwell

I don't think I've ever seen such unanimous enthusiasm on these boards since...umm...anything by PTA.

Ernie

Quote from: El Duderino
Quote from: Pas RapportYessssssssss god yes
How many people here feel they are Joel ?

me, definetely

Not me but I definitely know people like him. And I know a girl that's sorta like Clementine in ways too. It just shows how real this film is even with all the sci fi stuff. It reminds me of reacting to the early family scenes in E.T. for the first time in the past, I've always felt those parts of the film to be very realistic in the same way that Sunshine is. It's strange to see that kind of truth in a science fiction film, I love it. It's not seen often.

Quote from: Chest RockwellI don't think I've ever seen such unanimous enthusiasm on these boards since...umm...anything by PTA.

You know it didn't really occur to me until you said it but you may very well be right. And I'm glad that it's a film that's barely related to PTA too, save the Jon Brion score of course. Kill Bill might be the only one that competes with it but other than that, your absolutely right. And I won't be surprised at all if it does win best film at the end of the year on the boards. Lol, I'd put my vote in now if DGG, Harmony Korine, Wes Anderson, and David O. Russell weren't releasing films later this year along with KB Vol 2 and The Ladykillers still on the way, trust me. Like I said, it's going to be fucking amazing.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ono

Quote from: CinephileTime is ticking away until GT rips it apart.
I'm sorry, but this was just a bunch of scenes that didn't add up to anything, and Clementine was just there to serve the story.

:-D

Seriously, though, I fucking loved this film.  Not to add on more heapings of praise or anything, but this really does deserve it.  I was smiling the whole way through.  My cheeks haven't hurt so much since Love Actually and Lost in Translation.  Not too long ago, but that just says something about the quality of movies lately.

I knew what the ending was going to be extremely early on in the film.  Once Elijah Wood's character came up to Joel's car, it was obvious he had had the procedure already, and was meeting Clem for the second time.  Relatively clear, I thought, though I don't know if they were trying to make it so.  It didn't detract from the movie, but this predictability may be a downside for some.  It wasn't for me, and even so, the ending was just perfect.  And no weak third act for Kaufman this time.  Great, that.  And Dunst was great, too.  And not to mention quite gorgeous dancing in her undies with Ruffalo.

Let's see.  Specifics.  The crushed bird scene.  Ouch.  The crotch scenes.  Now that's from a real relationship.  That's how things are.  And I love how Kaufman doesn't forget previously established concepts, and brings them back for unexpected payoffs, such as the cassette tapes, the whole crotch ordeal/Joel under the bed, etc.  And I really enjoyed how the subplot with Dunst and Wilkinson served the story, and even Wood had something to do.  Even the most superfluous character, Ruffalo, had an important part in the story.  And I thought it was a trip seeing Jane Adams and David Cross in there for good measure.  Nice work by them in small roles.  Ah, there's so much more, so many little things I've forgotten.  The incredible editing, the nice little touches and transitions (like the books reversed, and how the lights in the bookstore quickly shut off only for Joel to find himself back in Adams's and Cross's characters' house).

This is what a good movie should be.  Fuck, just last night I was feeling kind of out of it.  But I was flipping channels and caught the last bit of Pulp Fiction on HBO.  Now there's a movie that stands up to repeated viewings, even after ten years.  What's dat gotta do with Eternal Sunshine?  It's a film like Pulp Fiction.  It'll be memorable for years, and every time you watch it, you'll get that same feeling of "damn, this is what we can do!"  It doesn't get much better than that.

modage

Quote from: CinephileTime is ticking away until GT rips it apart.
haha, i know.  this movie is played out already, will GT just hurry up and hate it so we can all move on?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i just hope that we don't hav sumone who's so obsessed with it that they can't stop talking about it and ends up making me like it less, cos they just won't shut up about it.

unless that person is me.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: El Duderinooh and BTW, does anyone know who sings that song at the end (aswell as a couple other times during the film). i wanna say beck, but i dont know

End music --- Beck

Music score --- Jon Brion
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubricki just hope that we don't hav sumone who's so obsessed with it that they can't stop talking about it and ends up making me like it less, cos they just won't shut up about it.

..hahaha your right........but there is always someone...

i wonder if people hate lynch b/c of me?.... :|

Pubrick

Quote from: NEON MERCURYi wonder if people hate lynch b/c of me?.... :|
nah u focus on his entire works, and offer more than "i like the directing, the acting, the hot chicks". u know, ur more about what the dude is doing with his career. that's always welcome. i enjoy those kinds of pimps.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: NEON MERCURYi wonder if people hate lynch b/c of me?.... :|
nah u focus on his entire works, and offer more than "i like the directing, the acting, the hot chicks". u know, ur more about what the dude is doing with his career. that's always welcome. i enjoy those kinds of pimps.

i appreciate that... 8) ...........Thanks.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.