The simpsons vrs other cartoons (official simpsons thread)

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, May 18, 2003, 08:07:36 PM

matt35mm

Quote from: Walrus on September 20, 2006, 05:32:50 PM
What made Seth Green think what he was doing was original?
You mean Seth McFarlane, the creator.

Seth Green, in addition to being a popular actor in such runaway hits as Party Monster and Knockaround Guys, merely provides the voice of Chris on Family Guy.  He also has his own show on Cartoon Network called Robot Chicken.

The end.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: Walrus on September 20, 2006, 05:32:50 PM
Family Guy makes no attempt to be different, just more obscure to try to outwit the Simpsons or something, and as a result, has had some very toxic effects on the Simpsons.
hahahah WHAT? more obscure? the difference is the simpsons' references were integrated into the storyline, getting the references enhanced your viewing and added a joke that was otherwise missing from the rhythm of the episode.. or in most cases just added one more hilarious level to what was already happening. see: the hippy reciting his poem of "how now brown bureaucrat" while beating a drum when homer has a fantasy of dropping a bomb a la slim pickens.

Family Guy was never obscure, it was just fucking stupid and pandering to dribbling idiots who enjoy random shit being thrown at them like a baby playing peekaboo. the randomness of whatever shit reference they make IS the whole joke. not what they reference, just that it's random, THAT was the joke. and it was clear to everyone, ppl even defended it as "yeah isn't it great?". what the hell was ever hard to see about that? the simpsons are replayed up the wazoo. you only have to see an FG episode once to know that you won't be watching it again unless you're with a dumb girl who loves it and she's got you by the balls.

so does this "turnaround" mean there's a new fad happening now where FG fans realise what everyone else has been saying since the show started? whatever. once an FG fan, always an FG fan. some ppl are just born to follow.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on September 21, 2006, 06:30:21 AM
Family Guy was never obscure, it was just fucking stupid and pandering to dribbling idiots who enjoy random shit being thrown at them like a baby playing peekaboo. the randomness of whatever shit reference they make IS the whole joke. not what they reference, just that it's random, THAT was the joke. and it was clear to everyone, ppl even defended it as "yeah isn't it great?". what the hell was ever hard to see about that? the simpsons are replayed up the wazoo. you only have to see an FG episode once to know that you won't be watching it again unless you're with a dumb girl who loves it and she's got you by the balls.

When I was a kid, even if I didn't get that a certain joke was a reference I still found it funny because it was funny and relevant beyond the reference.  Then when I was older I got the references and found it funny on a different level.

once an FG fan, always an FG fan. some ppl are just born to follow.

I like FG in high school, but after I started watching it on Adult Swim, I wondered why I liked it so much.

Quote from: Ravi on September 21, 2006, 12:57:05 PM

once an FG fan, always an FG fan. some ppl are just born to follow.

I like FG in high school, but after I started watching it on Adult Swim, I wondered why I liked it so much.

absolutely.  i tried to watch a complete episode a month ago and i just couldn't. what bothered me this time was the animation, it's so shit.  makes beavis and butthead look even more glamorous. i have to admit that the animation is the one thing where the simpsons are untouchable as far as animated series. BUT STILL.
context, context, context.

matt35mm

Quote from: Ravi on September 21, 2006, 12:57:05 PM
When I was a kid, even if I didn't get that a certain joke was a reference I still found it funny because it was funny and relevant beyond the reference.  Then when I was older I got the references and found it funny on a different level.
This is a pretty common experience, I think.  It's certainly also true with me.  In a strange way, it's actually kind of powerful.

Quote from: cronopio on September 21, 2006, 10:16:41 PM
i tried to watch a complete episode a month ago and i just couldn't. what bothered me this time was the animation, it's so shit.  makes beavis and butthead look even more glamorous. i have to admit that the animation is the one thing where the simpsons are untouchable as far as animated series. BUT STILL.
I don't know if you've been watching The Simpsons lately, but it's been gravitating towards that Family Guy style of animation (characterized by something happening out of the blue and with very few frames inbetween).  It also has far less command over the storytelling through camerawork than it used to--it's something I've come to appreciate more and more from the good seasons, thanks to some of the storyboards and stuff on the DVDs.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

so does this "turnaround" mean there's a new fad happening now where FG fans realise what everyone else has been saying since the show started? whatever. once an FG fan, always an FG fan. some ppl are just born to follow.

Jesus Christ, get over yourself.

I liked Family Guy because it was such a departure.  I had sort of given up on Simpsons because it felt obsolete compared to the new Family Guy, also keeping in mind I was 12 at the time.  Simpsons kept going over my head and Family Guy was so easy to digest.  But as I grew up and watched the Simpsons again, I found that Family Guy doesn't offer anything and Simpsons is much thicker and has more depth.

You think everything moves in fads, but it was a simple matter of maturing and finding an emptiness in Family Guy.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

hedwig

the age thing is also not an excuse. i'm younger than walrus and the truth about The Simpsons and family guy has always been obvious to me.

polkablues

Quote from: Hedwig on September 22, 2006, 10:21:50 PM
i'm younger than walrus and the truth about The Simpsons and family guy has always been obvious to me.

That the Simpsons used to be great and now sucks, and Family Guy used to be good and still is?
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

i liked family guy when it was first on. i think i started to turn after the first cancellation/return. i think the exact moment i began to utterly dislike it was the G.I. Joe reference, where the joke was that they had referenced G.I. Joe. i saw a clip recently where Stewie is watching Bewitched in a theatre and Will Ferrel says "Guess what? I'm a Clippers fan." and Stewie leaves the theatre, buys a plane ticket to Hollywood, takes a cab to Ferrel's house, rings the doorbell, slaps him and says "not funny!" and it was disturbing. i think my biggest problem with Macfarlane's writing isn't that it has become so random and referency and substanceless (though i hate that too), but more that it's so oddly righteous/aggressive.

JG

the age thing is also not an excuse. i'm younger than walrus and the truth about The Simpsons and family guy has always been obvious to me (except for a brief period in SIXTH AND SEVENTH GRADE).

Chest Rockwell

the age thing is also not an excuse. i'm younger than walrus and the truth about The Simpsons and family guy has always been obvious to me.
There wasn't one thing you liked as a kid that you later found shallow or unfunny? I find it hard to believe your intelligence and sense of humor has been consistent from pre-pubescence to now. And even if that were the case, I'm pretty sure that's not common, therefore it would be an "excuse" for most people. At that, I don't see why people should be held accountable for what they find funny; it's not like they can just turn on and off what personally gets them laughing.

JG

I hope your being facetious again.  I'm pretty sure Hedwig was referring soely to this particular situation, not everything ever "from pre-pubsence to now." 

but still, the age thing is of, course, an excuse. just take a look at anyone's first posts in this website ('cept the ones that came from the anderson boards cos they were mature already).   i once liked korn and limp bizkit and tamagotchis. big deal.
context, context, context.