The simpsons vrs other cartoons (official simpsons thread)

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, May 18, 2003, 08:07:36 PM

OrHowILearnedTo

as for futurama, i'm excited for its return but these movies have been pretty underwhelming except for the first one (thanks to the great Ken Keeler no doubt). I would say at its very best Simpsons still comes out on top, but for consistency over four seasons i might give to edge to futurama.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Fernando

Simpsons intro made by Banksy

edit: link no longer works, better to make a search @youtube as most of them are being taken down because of copyrights.

Ravi

That was funnier and more brilliant than everything in the last 10 seasons.

Reel

I wish this show would just shut up. It's sad to have to say that, but it's getting very tired at this point

polkablues

Retrospective on the 20th anniversary of "Homer at the Bat".  I miss The Simpsons...  :yabbse-cry:

http://deadspin.com/5886723
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

great read, I have to catch up on my old Simpsons dvd's, I forgot how untouchable the writing on this show used to be.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Pubrick

Quote from: ddiggler on February 27, 2012, 01:08:18 PM
I forgot how untouchable the writing on this show used to be.

everyone under the age of 25 has forgotten.

it's almost embarrassing to defend the simpsons against other shows now because i spend half the time defending the show against itself.

the major problem is there are more BAD seasons than GOOD ones, and so people compare those two amounts as if they are equally valid and decide the show could not have been as good as the old folks say. the amount of people who get simpsons references has dwindled to a miserable amount. it used to be a great unifier but now hearing a good simpsons reference is as rare as people who go around quoting classic books.. everyone is left scratching their head.

there needs to be more popular recognition that the simpsons is the greatest show of all time because of how good it was for at least 8 years straight.. not how long it lasted or how recognizable "d'oh" is. it wasn't just good on a children level, or even on an adult level, it was good on a SMART adult level.

this is probably what will happen to pixar.

under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on February 27, 2012, 10:02:25 PM
this is probably what will happen to pixar.

Even if that happens to Pixar, people can at least say "The early movies were better." People often see a TV show as a single unit, forgetting that one season may not be representative of other seasons, especially when the last 10 to 12 seasons have sucked. Does Matt Groening have an expensive Faberge egg habit? Why drag the show out interminably well beyond its expiry date?

diggler

Quote from: Ravi on February 28, 2012, 11:57:19 AM
Does Matt Groening have an expensive Faberge egg habit? Why drag the show out interminably well beyond its expiry date?

Speaking of great references...

I think Groening had very little to do with the show's brilliance, and at times existed at odds with it. The show lived and died by it's writers, as evidenced by the last ten years. The sad thing is when the show finally does end and there is a non stop string of clip shows and interviews, they're going to marginalize all the greatness with the crap. This show is a cautionary tale in knowing to quit while you're ahead.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

'The Simpsons' Live In Oregon, Matt Groening Tells Smithsonian Magazine
BY THE DEADLINE TEAM

The Simpsons has aired more than 500 episodes and been the subject of numerous analytic and academic examinations, so it seems there can be little mystery remaining regarding the family at the center of Fox's animated series that is the longest-running situation comedy in American TV history. But Simpsons creator Matt Groening did solve one of the few remaining mysteries in an interview with Smithsonian magazine: the native of Portland, Ore., revealed that the fictitious Springfield where Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson live is in fact based on a town not far from where he grew up.

"Springfield was named after Springfield, Oregon," Groening told Smithsonian. "The only reason is that when I was a kid, the TV show Father Knows Best took place in the town of Springfield, and I was thrilled because I imagined that it was the town next to Portland, my hometown. When I grew up, I realized it was just a fictitious name. I also figured out that Springfield was one of the most common names for a city in the U.S. In anticipation of the success of the show, I thought, 'This will be cool; everyone will think it's their Springfield.' And they do."

In the 2007 feature film The Simpsons Movie, Ned Flanders takes Bart to a hill top and tells him to look around at the four states that border Springfield: Ohio, Nevada, Maine and Kentucky.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

What he says in the article and what they claim in the headline are not remotely the same thing.
My house, my rules, my coffee