Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson (10th feature, TBA)

Started by Montclair, September 21, 2021, 09:35:17 PM

pynchonikon

Quote from: Thegreatrupert on January 29, 2024, 01:48:57 PMAs far as the Vineland thing goes, Inherent Vice is probably my favorite of his. That said, ain't nobody giving him this kind of budget to do another Pynchon. I wouldn't hold out much hope for that one at any point.

Genuinely wondering, what makes you so confident this project has nothing (story, premise, themes etc) to do with Vineland, apart from the fact it is set in modern era?

Because the coincidences so far (casting calls, reported shooting locations, photos from set) would be enough to suggect that there is some strong inspiration at the very least.

Thegreatrupert

He may very well have been inspired by that book. This is not that book.

And to the previous comment, no he is not. Canned pretty much everybody.

kingfan011

Quote from: Thegreatrupert on January 29, 2024, 02:12:39 PMHe may very well have been inspired by that book. This is not that book.

Wow thats interesting. I guess because of the bigger budget scale

Drill

Quote from: Thegreatrupert on January 29, 2024, 02:12:39 PMHe may very well have been inspired by that book. This is not that book.

So this has an official cinematographer? Any idea who?

Thegreatrupert

Quote from: kingfan011 on January 29, 2024, 02:48:19 PM

Wow thats interesting. I guess because of the bigger budget scale

I'm not sure the reason behind the mass canning but know it has not happened without some hurt feelings. There is supposedly a cinematographer but I cant recall the name. I will check.

SaunchSmilax

Why do we think he would hire a DP after going 2 in a row without one? Clearly he doesn't need one right?
"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

Thegreatrupert

Why would he get rid of everyone who's worked with him for the past 15 years? Dunno, seems like he wants a change. There's also a difference in what you can get away with when you're handed 20 mil and what you can get away with when you're handed nearly 100.

Lots of Bees

Is it Darius Khondji? He worked with him on Anima and (according to imdb) Bauman and them were not involved on that project either. Would make sense if it is shot on VistaVision like someone said (is this true?) as Anima was as well.

Also, I know you mention hurt feelings but he seems to change people in some manner on almost every project and often comes back to them (his editors, for example, or leaving his camera team for Anima then using them for LP)

Lots of Bees

https://www.reddit.com/r/paulthomasanderson/s/LEh6qjs03c

Some filming at Murphy's supermarket in Cutten today, Leo running to a payphone and cop cars driving by fast in the background

Fitzroy

Quote from: Lots of Bees on January 29, 2024, 03:40:37 PMIs it Darius Khondji? He worked with him on Anima and (according to imdb) Bauman and them were not involved on that project either. Would make sense if it is shot on VistaVision like someone said (is this true?) as Anima was as well.

I've been wondering recently whether Anima holds some sort of clue for this thing.

If I'm remembering the myriad conflicting rumours about this movie, it supposedly has a sci-fi element to it. Anima was shot in 2019. If this project indeed was supposed to be the follow up to Phantom Thread (before Covid, et al), could Anima have been a test drive of sorts?

Heisenberg

Leo looking paranoid and frantically talking on a payphone in 2024 (probably because his phone is being tracked) while police cars zip past him and he looks like he's trying to disguise himself to not be seen by the cops. At least that's what this shot looks like from such a far vantage point. Almost seems like it might be some sort of conspiracy thriller.

Find Your Magali

OK, I missed a few days! Lots of new info (sort of).

So we know:
--Unforgiven
--$100M
--Sci-fi, probably with significant post-production effects
--Leo starring
--Father/daughter
--Bleak
--Wildfires weigh heavily on PTA

While of course the plot will be its own new thing, I'm getting Minority Report/War of the Worlds vibes -- contemporary or near-future, with a sci-fi twist. Or maybe more of a human-caused eco-thriller (fires).

Unforgiven is hard to fit into that, although it does have the idea of turning a genre onto its head. But everything imaginable has been done within sci-fi, in terms of tone. How do you turn it on its head.

Also, "bleak" doesn't seem to play well with "PTA's most commercial film ever." Leo will draw box office, but will a downbeat storyline?

Heisenberg

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2024/jan/29/watch-first-look-leonardo-dicaprio-character-new-p/

Better angle of the scene being shot and photos here. Baktin Cross Police Department is what is printed on the police cars, suggesting that's what BC stands for. I doubt this is the title, but it's at least the name of the fictional town this is set in.

Vicko99

now we also have a hippie main character and a fictional town in California

there's literally no way this isn't at least a loose adaptation

jzakko

Is that not Mike Bauman in the striped shirt and Colin Anderson operating camera in these pictures?

Indicates he's working with his usual people?