huge suprises. in .cinema

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, October 30, 2003, 03:54:59 PM

TheVoiceOfNick

In reponse to NEON MERCURY's thread about big disappointments, here's one that is the complete opposite... what totally suprised you... you thought it'd be terrible, you saw it, then thought it was great (or at least better than you thought)... i'll start:

Kill Bill v1
Pirates of the Carribean
Punch-Drunk Love

godardian

Heaven.

Magnolia to a certain extent.

Your Friends & Neighbors.

Husbands and Wives.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Age Of Innocence
Kundun
The Lady Vanishes
Rebecca
Beseiged
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Resident Evil

Turned out to be a lot of fun
I like to hug dogs

cine

American Wedding
Signs
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
The Rundown

Banky

im trying to think but i usually dont see films unless i think they will be good

Finn

None of PTA's movies were surprises to me because straight from the trailers, I knew that were going to be something great. But the following movies did surprise me:

Identity
The Ice Storm
Storytelling (unaware of Solondz at the time, now extremly aware)
Under the Tuscan Sun
Matchstick Men
Being John Malkovich
O Lucky Man
Presumed Innocent
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Vile5

The Usual Suspects (i think it was the best surprise i ever had)
12 Monkeys
Velvet Goldmine
Ripley's Game
Audition
Monsoon Wedding
Hable con Ella
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

kotte

Weak2ndAct

Equilibrium: yeah, hated by many, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Harry Potter: never read the books, my only gripe is that it's too long.
Cabin Fever: was totally not what I thought it would be.
Barry Lyndon: I avoided seeing it forever, but as it turns out, it's probably my favorite Kubrick, go figure.
Psycho 2: It's actually pretty darned great!  Very underrated.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

anakin_e

fight club (while i still haven't decided whether it was GREAT, i was expecting something TOTALLY different)
signs (never really liked sixth sense, thought this was pretty good)
galaxy quest (foolishly expected kiddy fair)
the emperor's new clothes (expecting weak drama, thoroughly enjoyed it)
"So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show. To feel the warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. Tell me is something eluding you sunshine? Is this not what you expected to see? If you'd like to find out what's behind these cold eyes? You'll just have to claw your way through the Disquise - "
- Pink Floyd "The Wall"

MacGuffin

Exotica
Scream
Final Destination
Silence Of The Lambs
2 Fast 2 Furious
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

..some of these i agree w/others..
scream..
wes craven'n new nightmare...
talk to her...(brilliant)
magnolia..to an extent also..
affliction
in the name of my father
a.i......
attack of the clones...
adaptation.