huge suprises. in .cinema

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, October 30, 2003, 03:54:59 PM

Gold Trumpet

John Stockwell John Stockwell John Stockwell!!!!!!!

~rougerum

©brad

changing lanes
white men can't jump
28 days later
thelma and louise
speed

cine

Quote from: ©bradchanging lanes
Wow, I completely forgot about that one. That was one great movie.. VERY underrated.

RegularKarate

I think Changing Lanes was Over-rated, by people here, I mean.

Everyone beefed up to be the missed genius it wasn't.

Same with that shitty Denzel movie... I forget now...

Oh... these are supposed to be GOOD surprises.

Ummmmmm...
Iron Giant blew my fucking mind.

pookiethecat

i was very surprised by

-28 days later- well the first half anyway.  
-jackie brown- it was much more restrained and subtle than i thought it was gonna be.
-minority report- considering how much i hated AI and catch me if you can, i thought this was gonna suck- it actually turned out to be really great
-evil dead- my perception that it was just a funny little occasionally clever low budget horror flick was surprised when i saw how genuinely terrifying it is.
-girl interrupted.  usually, angelina jolie annoys the piss outta me, but this movie really was touching and true.
i wanna lick 'em.

SHAFTR

Starship Troopers
Unforgiven
Punch Drunk Love
Jason X
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Banky

Quote from: SHAFTR
Jason X

agree

Ernie

Just stuff that wasn't particulary hyped, like the hidden gems, stuff that came out of nowhere. And then there's the movies that were just so much different than I expected in a good way. All that is this:

-Boogie Nights (I was clueless of all of it's praise at the time)
-Cry Baby
-Drugstore Cowboy (made me feel in a huge way, same with Idaho)
-Kill Bill
-Welcome to the Dollhouse
-Married to the Mob
-Melvin and Howard
-Something Wild
-Sid & Nancy
-Edward Scissorhands (on a revisit)
-Arizona Dream
-Remember the Titans
-Romeo + Juliet (luhrmann's version)
-The Man IN the Moon (not "on)
-Niagra Niagra
-Punch Drunk Love
-Over the Edge
-Miller's Crossing
-State of Grace
-Fear (whalberg and witherspoon one)
-Streets of Fire
-At Close Range
-Used Cars
-Barton Fink
-The Secret Garden
-Bottle Rocket
-A Little Princess
-My Own Private Idaho
-Baraka
-Koyaanisqatsi
-Safe Men
-George Washington
-All the Real Girls (w0w)
-What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
-Wild at Heart
-Lolita (the original, blew my mind)

oakmanc234

'The Matrix'. That was a real eye-opener. Who the hell was expecting THAT?! It could have been 'Johnny Mnemonic 2' and ended up being this...well...you know how great it is.
'Happiness' was certainly something 'new'.
Every QT flick (heard heaps about them all but still shocked/suprised by them).
'Vanilla Sky'!!!! Expected something offbeat but not that FUCKED and wonderful.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

pete

Undercover Brotha.
old jackie chan movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

bonanzataz

my respect for ebeaman has jumped enormously.

yeah, i can't chime in with anything new. sorry.

but i don't know how anybody could think changing lanes was genius. that movie was awful, i don't care what you say. i had a hard time staying awake. it was booooring and obvious.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

...this needs a criterion release...w/ a better cover.....

Ernie

Quote from: bonanzatazmy respect for ebeaman has jumped enormously.

Wow, seriously? Or are you being sarcastic? Cause I won't hold it against you if you don't like A Little Princess and The Secret Garden, lol. Danny Elfman is what really makes the latter. Then the former is just a good movie to me.

bonanzataz

to ebeaman,

i agree with most of your list. little princess=awesome. fear=big pile of dog crap. grissam's in that movie, though, that's pretty sweet.

to neon mercury,

shallow grave rocks. that cover DOES suck. they make it look like an 80's zombie movie.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Find Your Magali

Quote from: bonanzatazshallow grave rocks. that cover DOES suck. they make it look like an 80's zombie movie.

Not that there's anything wrong with 80s zombie movies.  :-D