Bottle Rocket

Started by Spike, May 09, 2003, 02:02:32 AM

Spike

Yesterday I saw "Bottle Rocket" one more time and it's become time by time better. I just love this film!
What do you think about "Bottle Rocket"?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

ben

Yeah. Bottle Rocket is a very impressive first full feature for Wes Anderson, and Dignan is one of the best characters EVERY created.

Truly a great film. It ended too early for me.

MacGuffin

Watch the original 13 minute short
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Keener

I really love Dignan. Such a great character. This was a mighty fine movie and you're right - it really does get better time after time.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Redlum

Dignan has to be high in the running for most quotable character, too.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

meatwad

wes anderson should have hailed as a genius when this was made. Instead all these assholes had to wait till he made Rushmore, in my opinion one of the best films of all time, to figure out he is greatness.

My only problem with Bottle Rocket is i think the soundtrack could have been better. I like the Rolling Stones song and all, i just think Mark Mothersbaugh's score could have been better. His work on Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums is ten times better

//www.thestate22.com

Recce

I just found the style of Bottle Rockets and "Rushmore", "Royal Tennenbaums", are completely different. I wonder what made him decide to go that way with his next two films.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Teddy

I've never seen it, but I really need to.
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

DavTMcGowan

uh, that was a stop sign...

Redlum

Quote from: MeatwadI like the Rolling Stones song and all, i just think Mark Mothersbaugh's score could have been better. His work on Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums is ten times better

That piece of music as Dignan walks away back into prison in the slow motion shot is brilliant though.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

bonanzataz

didn't mtv give wes the best new director award at the movie awards when this came out? i remember really wanting to see it when it first came out but no theaters near me were playing it and i never got to see the whole thing until last year.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ben

Quote from: bonanzatazdidn't mtv give wes the best new director award at the movie awards when this came out? i remember really wanting to see it when it first came out but no theaters near me were playing it and i never got to see the whole thing until last year.

yup...he got like the "best breakthrough" director back when bottle rocket was released.

you should definetly check it out. all the characters are so colorful in personality.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: caraxis the dvd worth buying or is there gonna be a criterion release?

I dont think that is going to happen, it seems like an internet rumor that gained credibility somehow.

sphinx

ultimately it's come down to a rights issue.  there was this very popular train story on the criterion boards, and it went like this

a guy was on a train, and sitting across from him were three people wearing criterion and janus films swag, hats, jackets, etc.  he asked them if they were from criterion, and they said indeed they were.  he asked them several questions, one of which being 'is schizopolis going to be released?', to which the criterions said 'we are considering it'.  he also asked if bottle rocket was going to be released, the criterions said 'no, it's a right issue and we can't get it sorted out'.

this is a very good chance this story is complete bullshit because

a.) this story takes place about a month ago, and schizopolis was already on criterion's confirmed schedule, which means that either the criterions were rather ignorant of their schedule or our storyteller hasn't done his homework
b.) why would people who work at criterion wear a wardrobe completely adorned with criterion logos?  it might be nice to have a criterion hat, t-shirt, or chocolate bar, but i doubt they would be completly dressed in such clothes

so bottle rocket is still up in the air, it may fall into a criterion safety net or simply hit the cement and shatter

sphinx

Quote from: sphinxthere was this very popular train story on the criterion boards, and it went like this

there was a fellow who claimed he went on a train and met criterions, it wasn't i