Bottle Rocket

Started by Spike, May 09, 2003, 02:02:32 AM

noyes

Bottle Rocket Short on YouTube.
if this has been posted, fuck it. i didn't see it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HV9fLUAbaO4&search=wes%20anderson
south america's my name.

grand theft sparrow

Can we please stop posting things in this thread until they announce a Criterion release date?

Pubrick

Quote from: noyes on April 21, 2006, 12:05:37 PM

it's available to download through the link right above you.
under the paving stones.

noyes

Quote from: Pubrick on April 22, 2006, 01:04:47 AM
Quote from: noyes on April 21, 2006, 12:05:37 PM

it's available to download through the link right above you.

thanks pubrick.
south america's my name.

Redlum

In light of all the Darjeeling excitement I headed on over to the Rushmore Academy. Before long I was in the Bottle Rocket section (of course) and found the following article.

If I Can Dream
The Everlasting Boyhoods of Wes Anderson
From the Lawnwranglers.com Archive
Film Comment, January/February 1999
by Mark Olsen

I still think Bottle Rocket is his best film. Mainly because I can relate to it the most but also because it's the least self-conscious of his films. Unlike his following three films there are no Season/Chapter/Log headings, which are exemplary of tableau-like staging of Wes's shots and narrative since Bottle Rocket. BR is proof that the absence of these meticulous indulgences (which for some I know are getting a little tired) is not detrimental to Wes's uniqeuness as an auteur.

As in Bottle Rocket there will be three central characters on a journey in The Darjeeling Limited. I also sense a pivotal love interest like Inez. With these things in mind and the fact that everyone is wondering after The Life Aquatic where Wes is headed as a filmmaker - I'm hoping there's some more of Bottle Rocket in there.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

tpfkabi

i have never seen the huge difference in TLA from the rest of his catalog and have never understood how someone could like the previous 3 films and not like TLA. the last 3 are the most similiar with BR being different for the reasons you stated above, so i could see someone liking BR, and not as fond of the other 3.

if anything, i think he used most of the same people with the first 4 (have not fact checked this), but has some changes on Darjeeling. i know Yeoman is still with him, but Mothersbaugh is not. new co-writers. haven't gone as far as costuming/editing, etc.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

Quote from: ...and the Deathly Sparrow on April 21, 2006, 12:42:48 PM
Can we please stop posting things in this thread until they announce a Criterion release date?

maybe???

From the Criterion Forum:

Not to get people's hopes up or anything, but the latest (6.12.07) New York Times TimesTalks podcast is an hour long interview with Luke and Andrew Wilson. During the audience Q&A section at the end, they are asked about a Bottle Rocket special edition DVD and Luke says "We just heard last week that I think they're going to do one of those Criterion versions of it. I don't know if that's true, but we did hear that." (this is at the 55:10 mark)

URLS:
http://www.criterionforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2562
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/multimedia/podcasts.html

modage

not the release date but further confirmation!

on ebert and roeper, guest critic robert wolinsky mentions that criterion owns the north american rights to put this out on dvd and pleads with them to speed up the release.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

last days of gerry the elephant

Ha, I really did think Modage posted in this thread with a release date...  :oops:

tpfkabi

Quote from: modage on September 08, 2007, 06:25:52 PM
not the release date but further confirmation!

on ebert and roeper, guest critic robert wolinsky mentions that criterion owns the north american rights to put this out on dvd and pleads with them to speed up the release.

how did Bottle Rocket even come up in conversation?

(i still can't find out when this show comes on...)

hedwig

Quote from: bigideas on September 08, 2007, 10:40:55 PM
(i still can't find out when this show comes on...)

depends where you live. there's a station finder on their website...  :yabbse-undecided:

modage

it was the guest critic's dvd pick because apparently he went to college with owen wilson.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/09/27/bottle-rocket-to-get-the-criterion-dvd-treatment-at-last/

'Bottle Rocket' To Get The Criterion DVD Treatment At Last
Published by Josh Horowitz on Thursday, September 27, 2007 at 4:03 pm.

More Wes Anderson goodness for you today, my fellow Max Fischer fanatics. Yesterday I filled you in Anderson's plans for "The Fantastic Mr. Fox." Today I'll make your day if you're a fan of old school Wes, as in the adventures of Dignan, Anthony, and Mr. Henry.

For years, Anderson fans have grumbled about the crappy treatment his first film has received on DVD. The bare bones presentation of "Bottle Rocket" has been all the more galling considering the loving care his subsequent films have gotted as part of the Criterion Collection.

Well, grumble no more. Wes told me, "We've just begun work with the Criterion Collection to do 'Bottle Rocket' on a new DVD that's going to have all kinds of stuff. There's a lot of 'Bottle Rocket' that was on the cutting room floor, so we have a lot to work with on that one."

The cutting room floor, you say? What has Wes been keeping to himself all these years? Are you pre-ordering your "Bottle Rocket" DVD right now? How do you think it stacks up in the Anderson oeuvre?

ElPandaRoyal

Sweet. Even though it's my least favorite Wes Anderson movie, it really doesn't mean much, since I like all of his stuff a lot. PLus we have a lot of Kumar in it  :yabbse-thumbup:
Si

Heinsbergen

pray for the original short in acceptable quality.
when i was a little kid i wanted to know what caused thunder.