The Fountain

Started by DavTMcGowan, April 28, 2003, 10:48:01 PM

for petes sake

oscar positioning...

but is that a good thing?

Pozer

Quote from: modage on July 26, 2006, 05:51:58 PM
FUCK!  please dont slide out of 2006...
better not go into 2007, that would ruin the whole trailer thing with the years. 

modage

Quote from: for petes sake on July 28, 2006, 04:51:00 PM
oscar positioning...

but is that a good thing?
i dont think it will make the slightest difference.  as i've said before, this will likely be perceived as Solaris was a few years back, which i believe also was released in november.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Back to future: WB changes 'Fountain' date
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Warner Bros. Pictures said Monday that it has moved Darren Aronofsky's "The Fountain" to Nov. 22, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The move now pits "Fountain" against Buena Vista's Thanksgiving release, the Tony Scott-directed "Deja Vu."

Both films center on the theme of a man time-traveling in order to save the woman he loves.

Starring Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz, "Fountain," from Warners and Regency Enterprises, centers on one man's thousand-year struggle to save the woman he loves. "Deja Vu" is the story of an ATF agent who travels back in time to save a woman from being murdered, falling in love with her during the process.

At this point, Buena Vista has no plans to shift its release.

"We are so proud of 'The Fountain,' and opening on the Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving will give more people a chance to see what we think is Darren's finest work," Warners president of domestic distribution at Dan Fellman said.

The film, which will play the 63rd Venice Film Festival in early September, originally was slated to bow Oct. 13.

"The extra month will also allow time to build a bigger long-lead campaign and generate greater word-of-mouth in the weeks leading up to the opening," Fellman added.

Other films set to bow during the holiday weekend include MGM's "Bobby," from director Emilio Estevez; 20th Century Fox's family comedy "Deck the Halls"; and the Universal Pictures comedy "Let's Go to Prison."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

While maybe posing a pointless risk on the film, I don't think The Fountain and Deja Vu have too much in common. They're definitely going to play to different audiences. And does Deja Vu have anything to do with the Nintendo game?
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on August 01, 2006, 03:12:26 PM
And does Deja Vu have anything to do with the Nintendo game?

Nope.
My house, my rules, my coffee

SiliasRuby

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 31, 2006, 08:52:04 PM
MGM's "Bobby," from director Emilio Estevez;
Director Emilio Estevez?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Chest Rockwell

Unofrtunately what'll probably happen is Deja Vu makes more money because it's an action flick (I'm assuming, being a Tony Scott picture) and then the studios will say "well I guess we should have taken that approach!" Unless The Fountain gets some Oscar nominations, I guess.

MacGuffin

The Fountain
Source: Entertainment Weekly

Darren Aronofsky's creative rep is marked by the heady pursuit of pure cinema — mind-spinning image rushes like 1998's pi and 2000's Requiem for a Dream — but the indie icon doesn't see himself as a moviemaker: ''I think of myself as a tapestry maker. I just weave all the things that interest me into a film.'' Around 2000, the things that were intriguing Aronofsky were conquistadors, David Bowie's ''Space Oddity,'' and neuroscience. Together, they inspired The Fountain, a trippy meditation on love and death. What happened next is either the stuff of Hollywood legend or just auteur heartbreak. In 2002, just seven weeks prior to shooting, Brad Pitt bailed on the $72 million production, effectively killing it. Devastated, the director rewrote the script and turned his costly epic into a $35 million non-epic, and soon The Fountain was gushing again, with Hugh Jackman taking over the lead, playing three different characters (or are they?) in three different time periods, each one driven to impossible romantic quests, like finding the fountain of youth.

The shoot was ''raw and exhausting,'' says Jackman, and the love scene with Rachel Weisz, who happens to be the director's fiancée, was very, very awkward. Recalls Jackman: ''I remember Darren telling me that we were only going to kiss. So we started kissing. Rachel takes off my shirt. Still kissing. And then I hear Darren: 'Take off his pants! Take off his pants!' I started laughing and said, 'Sorry, Darren, this is getting too kinky.'''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

QuoteSo we started kissing. Rachel takes off my shirt. Still kissing. And then I hear Darren: 'Take off his pants! Take off his pants!'

ooo that's hot. 

id take off his pants

winks and all that
who likes movies anyway

picolas

it's in the Vancouver Film Festival.

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: picolas on September 02, 2006, 07:50:29 PM
it's in the Vancouver Film Festival.

It is? Do you have schedule or something? The only big name I heard going into VIFF was "Volver", and that I'm not even sure of.

If it is, I am soooo there.

Pubrick

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on September 03, 2006, 02:05:23 AM
It is? Do you have schedule or something? The only big name I heard going into VIFF was "Volver", and that I'm not even sure of.

If it is, I am soooo there.
use the internet.

dude vancouver is a happenin city, which is why it made no sense when you said you miss out on things cos of where you live.
under the paving stones.

OrHowILearnedTo

What the fuck is the internet?

Technically I don't live IN Vancouver(used to), rather a suburb, and with no car and with friends who won't do anything for movies except for famous players, It's hard for me to make it to things like the VIFF, not to mention my amazing ability to create run on sentences.

Now that the Cinema Paciificthique has finnally decided to show classic and foreign films I can now get a more international flavour which I couldn't before.

And the whole thing about not geting a variety of films is mainly about DVDs. I have only seen one place (an HMV :saywhat:) that sells criterions and whatnot. I will definately be attending the VIFF this year though.

BTW that link has no info on a schedule of what films are playing...unless my damn eyes are decieving me AGAIN!