Running Scared (not the Billy Crystal one)

Started by polkablues, February 07, 2006, 02:57:39 AM

polkablues

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/running_scared/

So here's the thing: this is going to be a good flick.  It'll be violent, crazy, and entertaining as hell.

Here's the problem: if I actually like a movie starring Paul Walker, I might die.  It'd be like going to a parallel universe and touching the alternate me.  I'd cease to exist.

Damn you, Wayne Kramer.  First you make me look at William H. Macy naked, now you force me to like Paul Walker.  Damn you straight to hell.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Weak2ndAct

www.runningscaredthemovie.com

The first 6 minutes are online, and they're pretty fun.  Even if you have no desire to see the movie, watch the opening for the amazing shotgun blast.  Fuck, I'm gonna end up seeing this.  It just better not turn into a Tony Scott-ADD-disaster.  But there's some positive buzz, so who knows.

RegularKarate

Are you fucking kidding me!?

I have laughed at this piece of shit trailer every time I've seen it... so has just about everyone I've seen it with.
This looks like utter shit... an absolute turd and a half... this looks like it's not even good enough to be a shitty Guy Ritchie flick.

laughably bad

polkablues

You see, but I'm someone who loves Lock Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.  And this looks like a pretty good approximation of that.  Besides, check out some of the advance reviews on it; everybody's surprised by how much they like it.

modage

yes, i too laughed at the preview everytime i saw it like RK.  mostly paul walker and the 'urban' target audience made it seem TERRIBLE. and strangely enough a week ago i saw one again and this time it seemed like it might be good.  then i read the AICN review and it mentioned it was by the guy who did The Cooler which i had no idea.  i would've assumed it was by the guy who did The Rap Videos.  so i might have to check this out on dvd, if the buzz continues strongly.  though i did fall for that on the Assault on Precinct 13 remake which was as i had first suspected a total waste of time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

The most divisive movie of the year so far has arrived....

Ebert had some fun with his review, here.

I'm definitely going to see this this weekend, if I get a chance.  It's been too long before I just got to have fun seeing a movie in the theatre.  I'll let y'all know how it is.

modage

yes, do.  i was burned last year at around this time by believing the hype for the Assault On Precinct 13 remake which i luckily waited to rent but still thought i was in for something good.  so, i'll rent this but i'm not expecting much.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Weak2ndAct

Yowzers!  Ebert's review is spot on-- this movie is gloriously over-the-top in every way possible.  Holy hell, it's crazy violent, Kramer peppers some of the gunfights with some alarmingly brutal gore.  If you know you're gonna see it, don't read any more reviews, there is some wild shit in here that you will never see coming.  I'm not gonna bullshit you-- the movie has it's problems, but there's too much fun and craziness to give it a thumbs down.  *Shock* Paul Walker's actually pretty good in this.  Who knew?  Thank God it's not as ADD as Domino, it's obvious shots were, you know, planned out.

polkablues

This movie was exactly what I expected it to be.  A tremendous amount of fun, a handful of extremely effective sequences, and a heaping big scoop of absurdity.  I would recommend it to anyone.  Paul Walker's great in it, Vera Farmiga's going to (finally) be someone you've heard of, and you'll never be able to watch Bruce Altman and Elizabeth Mitchell the same way again.

If only the script had gotten a once-over from someone with an ear for memorable lines, like a Chris McQuarrie or a Brian Helgeland, it would be an instant classic.  As it is, it's just good.  WAY the hell better than Assault on Precinct 13 was.

w/o horse

What polka and Weak said.

It ranks up there with Ghost Dog in the gloriously inane b-action category.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

The Red Vine

This was a hell of a ride. It's a sick, twisted, goofy, violent mess. It's like an over the top melodrama filled with ideas. I wouldn't say it's "well made" but I was never bored.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

Tarantino says,

"This is why they call them Motion Pictures!  With 'Running Scared', writer/director Wayne Kramer does a broad jump into the director pantheon of action film greats like Walter Hill and Robert Aldrich.  No matter what you read or hear, nothing will quite prepare you for the thrust and viscera of this night at the movies.  This is filmmaking from the pelvis."

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

Quote from: squints on March 01, 2006, 11:56:10 PM
where was that printed?

right here, xixax exclusive!

tarantino will go anywhere to talk about his pelvis.
under the paving stones.

modage

it was a blurb on a Running Scared ad in TimeOut NY.