Exorcist: The Beginning/Dominion

Started by MacGuffin, June 10, 2004, 12:53:30 AM

Hodgemeyer

Quote from: sundown all overI really feel like everyone should go see his version a bunch of times.  Send a message to the studios that we want smart films instead of what they think we want.  I really feel like despite generally favorable reviews that his version will receive it will ultimately rake in a small sum and be forgotten by the general public.

Such is life.

I dunno.  It seems to me that Renny Harlin and Paul Schrader both made really bad movies.  I think it's a bit glib to automatically classify a Paul Schrader film as being "smart."  Paul Schrader is a smart person, but as a director his work is really obvious, which is to say that one can see right through it.  There are so many things wrong with the ideas behind "The Exorcist" prequel, before any director gets involved, that it might have been doomed from the beginning (the open Africa setting, the lack of shock value vs. 1970s).  Perhaps they should have just done another sequel.  Neverthless, Schrader and Harlin are terrible choices to direct an "Exorcist" movie, sequel or prequel.

MacGuffin

'Exorcist' author sues over sequel
Source: Hollywood Reporter

"The Exorcist" author William Blatty has sued Morgan Creek Productions for allegedly failing to pay him an agreed-upon fee for a recent sequel to the franchise. Blatty, in a suit filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court, seeks $750,000, the amount he was reportedly guaranteed if the studio made a second sequel to the original 1973 release. According to Blatty's attorneys, payment for sequels was covered in an October 1996 settlement agreement, which called for a $930,000 payment for a first sequel and a $750,000 payment for each subsequent release. Blatty contends that he was paid for the first sequel, 2004's "Exorcist: The Beginning," but not the second, the recently released "Dominion: A Prequel to the Exorcist." Morgan Creek could not be reached for comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

Finn

I'm starting to have no respect for Warner Bros. or Morgan Creek.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Title: Dominion
Released: 25th October 2005
SRP: $24.98

Further Details
Warner has announced the long awaited Paul Schrader directed film Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist which stars the likes of Clara Bellar, Gabriel Mann and Stellan Skarsgard. The film traces the story of Father Lankester Merrin back to his first encounter with the Devil in post-WW II Africa. The disc will be available to own from the 25th October, and priced at around $24.98. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Extra material will include deleted scenes, and a stills gallery. We've attached our first look at the official region one package artwork at the link below: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=7425&n=1&burl=
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

i thought this was great.  having read read reviews o9f people here and on tomatoes i was nervous.  but come on, ho wcan the guy behind taxi driver, affliction, raging bull, etc.  make somethign as bad as those critics [and the good people here] said it was.  part o fme liking it does have to do w/ th wefactr that it was shevled and my anticipation only increased [you want what you cant have] but i fopund it scary, meditiative, and very beautifully shot and scored...but w/ angelo thats expected.   :yabbse-grin: ....its does have its freaky moments.  i think mod would give it 6 skulls and a half of a pelvis.

stellen owns ..thsoe swedes are swuave actors....

ya'll need to see this..trust me.