Exorcist: The Beginning/Dominion

Started by MacGuffin, June 10, 2004, 12:53:30 AM

Finn

Awful cover...they could've at least had Stellan Skarsgard on the cover.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

mogwai

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

mogwai

The Perineum Falcon

from The Movie Blog

Paul Schrader's Exorcist: The Beginning to get Premiere

We'd heard talk that the Paul Schrader version of Exorcist: The Beginning was going to be included in the DVD release, yet the first release didn't mention it at all. However, the good news is that Scraders version of the movie is going to get a premiere at the International Festival of Fantastic Film in Brussels in March. According to the BBC:

The film, directed by Paul Schrader, will be screened on 18 March at the International Festival of Fantastic Film in Brussels.

They also provide a concise summary of the events:

Principal footage was shot in Morocco and Rome at a reported cost of $32m. However, in August 2003 it emerged that producers Morgan Creek were shelving Schrader's version of the film, having complained it was not scary enough.

As well as replacing Schrader with Harlin - the director behind Die Hard 2 and Cliffhanger - the producers also changed most of the cast, but Swedish star Skarsgard stayed in the Merrin role.

Harlin's film, released in the UK in October 2004, received lukewarm reviews but went on to make over $76m (£40.7m) worldwide.

The festival screening will be the first time that Schrader's film has been seen in public. Reports that it will be released either in cinemas or on DVD have yet to be confirmed.

We can but hope that rumours come true and that it premieres to a good reception, providing the Studio with a reason for a more general release, or at least adding it to a special DVD release.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

lamas

We're all avoiding the most important question here:  was Vittorio Storaro the DP for both versions?

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: lamasWe're all avoiding the most important question here:  was Vittorio Storaro the DP for both versions?
I believe so.
I have no immediate proof to back that up.
But I believe so.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

SCHRADER VERSION TRAILER AND PICS:
http://exmk.mkforces.net/exorcistthebeginning/schraders/
edit: sorry looks like the trailer isnt up right now.  hopefully it'll pop up somewhere else soon. you can still see more pics though.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: Stefenthose pics look scary as fuck.
yeah word to that shit, but i can't get to the trailer (why is it a zip file?) i can usually get them but i think this is a wack hosting place.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

thank you very much for the caps. i'm going to go and choke the bishop. i'll back in five minutes.

Just Withnail

Quote from: mogwaithank you very much for the caps. i'm going to go and choke the bishop. i'll back in five minutes.

you break me quick

MacGuffin

Blocked EXORCIST May Be Resurrected
While audiences are already familiar with Renny Harlin's Exorcist: The Beginning, Paul Schrader's original version may now make it to the big screen. Source: FilmStew.com

In 2004, Warner Bros. and Morgan Creek Productions released the Renny Harlin-directed Exorcist: The Beginning. The film finished its domestic box office run with only about $40 million stateside and about $40 million overseas as well. While it did break even, the film was neither a critical or box office success.

What many fans might not have known, however, is that Paul Schrader, the writer of films such as Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, had filmed his own version of The Beginning, which he completed in 2003 with a $35 million budget. That film, which had been scrutinized by Morgan Creek head James Robinson, has been buried in the Warners vault. But now, according to a report by Fox News entertainment reporter Roger Friedman, the film may get the big screen treatment.

Friedman reports that Schrader was originally hired to make the film in 2002, and Stellan Skarsgard was set to star. When completed, the film was too psychological for Robinson and did not feature the gore associated with the original Exorcist. The studio then turned to Renny Harlin to re-shoot the film, and he did so with Skarsgard reprising his role. That's the film that made it into theaters.

Then last week, according the Friedman, Schrader, with his own money, took the film to the Brussels Fantasy Film Festival, where it received rave reviews. The trick worked, however, because Warner Bros. and Morgan Creek will now reportedly be releasing the Schrader version of the film sometime in the next two months. An exact date has not yet been announced.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

So the question is... how do they market this so it's succesful enough to let the stuidos understand that it's okay for a movie to be good? that they don't have to remake it into a piece of shit?

Do they try to tell the whole story about the film in one trailer?  or do they just pretend that the last one never happened and hope people don't think it's the same piece of shit they already wasted eight bucks on?