Ask The Gold Trumpet

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 30, 2003, 07:35:07 PM

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhen Thrindle begins her "Ask Thrindle" thread...

BRILLIANT!!!!

?
context, context, context.

Stefen

haha that was a little harsh eh? I was just giving my opinion and helping you out on the things asked of you. But seeing as how my girlfriend is a blow up doll (good one) my whole opinion is a moot point. But yes I can tell you have LOTS of experience in this category judging by the way you answered my post. All girls are exactly the way you described.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefenhaha that was a little harsh eh?

Not sure. I enjoyed it but its still playing with fire.

Stefen

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

it was still cold.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen

it was still cold.

Then I did everything expected of me.

Thrindle

I GO TO WORK FOR ONE DAY AND IT BECOMES A WARZONE!
Rather than let GT defend me all day... I will simply respond to the criticisms bestowed upon me.

Quote from: StefenWow, thrindle may be the worst kind of girlfriend in the history of civilazation.

You could very well be right.  I've never dated myself.  Thank you for a very insightful opinion.  Maybe now I can understand why my relationships haven't worked out.... :wink:

Quote from: StefenGT would be to busy meeting all thrindles demands for a relationship.

Well...  I suppose GT could be busy meeting all of my demands.  Those painfully demanding things like falling in love, respecting someone else's integrity, caring enough about someone to leave your criticism to yourself... Oh and watching movies, reading novels, and having decent conversation.  That's pretty brutal, you're absolutely right.

Honestly Stefen,  I demand a lot of myself, and a lot of others.  I think this is a virtue.  

I love myself enough to be treated well.  I wish that for you too.  Why should anyone accept less than the best?!

PS  If you want anymore snotty life advice, just PM me, and I'll start the Ask Thrindle thread in your honor.
Classic.

Stefen

Well most of the things you mentioned may be well and dandy in the beginning, but after the newness wears off I doubt everything will be smooth sailing, as im sure you've experienced in all of your failed relationships. Don't let the voice of reason sway your thoughts on anything in this matter.

Thrindle

Quote from: StefenWell most of the things you mentioned may be well and dandy in the beginning, but after the newness wears off I doubt everything will be smooth sailing, as im sure you've experienced in all of your failed relationships. Don't let the voice of reason sway your thoughts on anything in this matter.

I'm defending myself no longer.  Stefen, we do NOT agree.  I will not continue to explain myself because obviously you just aren't on my wavelength.  Fair enough.
Classic.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe critic Stanley Kauffmann said the major shift in film came with 2001: A Space Odyssey. He said that after that film, the focus on film became on technology instead of the human face. Even considering the praise of the film, its a correct statement. 2001 is a very respectable film, but an easily exploitive film. It was only a matter of time before Hollywood would correlate the special effects break through 2001 had into a pure entertainment vehicle and the result was Star Wars, one of the most influential films ever. Now styles are being repeated and the focus is on technology. Too many movies have a casual computer feeling to it compared to older films cause most movies can't escape the influence of computers.
If 2001 killed the human face, how do you explain the 70s? And can you give specific examples of this obsession with technology immediately following 2001? Star Wars is a pretty weak example... I mean, that was 10 years later...

Ok, I'll elaborate. While the proceeding years after 2001 had not yet met the boom, I still think the high point of cinema came in the 60s. For America, it did reach the 1970s but that era of films of 1968 to 1977 in America hardly competed with the quality of foreign films to come out in the 1960s. So my point of "nothing new" comes into place cause on comparison, the 1970s feel like a downgrade of quality and exploration.

Quote from: The Disco KidGT,

Whats the deal with the ghost scene near the end of The Shining in which Wendy encounters the guy in the woodchuck costume performing fellatio to the guy in a tuxedo? Does it have any real significance or is it just some bizarre shit Kubrick threw in for creepiness sake?

Ive seen the movie dozens of times and I like to think that Ive finally deciphered the true gist of it, but that scene has always, and continues to, baffle the living shit out of me. Any thoughts?

Plot wise, its the manifestion to Wendy that the ghosts are real. In relation to Kubrick's career, it seems most interesting in that is yet another subtle hint of homoeroticism. Other than that, on all the essays on The Shining I've read, they always mention the influence of films like The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie in influencing that type of scene, meaning its just some weird fucked up shit that happens in a dream, has traces of meaning, but really can't be explained.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIf 2001 killed the human face, how do you explain the 70s? And can you give specific examples of this obsession with technology immediately following 2001? Star Wars is a pretty weak example... I mean, that was 10 years later...

Ok, I'll elaborate. While the proceeding years after 2001 had not yet met the boom, I still think the high point of cinema came in the 60s. For America, it did reach the 1970s but that era of films of 1968 to 1977 in America hardly competed with the quality of foreign films to come out in the 1960s. So my point of "nothing new" comes into place cause on comparison, the 1970s feel like a downgrade of quality and exploration.
So what are you saying? 2001 negatively influenced foreign films of the 70s? Which ones?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIf 2001 killed the human face, how do you explain the 70s? And can you give specific examples of this obsession with technology immediately following 2001? Star Wars is a pretty weak example... I mean, that was 10 years later...

So what are you saying? 2001 negatively influenced foreign films of the 70s? Which ones?

No, that the foreign cinema explosion of the 60s died down in the 70s in quality of films and the American indepedent movement of the 70s failed to further what had been achieved in the 60s. You find the cinema of the 1970s to be the best ever, I find it grossely overrated. But, in your original question of whether or not 2001 began a streak of films focused on technology, it did not. It made films like Star Wars possible and considering I don't think the 70s advanced what had been achieved in the 60s, made it succeptible for a film like Star Wars to take over.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetYou find the cinema of the 1970s to be the best ever, I find it grossely overrated.
Okay. I also find almost everything before the 60s overrated, except German Expressionism.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet[2001] made it succeptible for a film like Star Wars to take over.
I still don't see that. Obviously that argument isn't referring to economics (which is the whole reason Star Wars, and Jaws & Rocky before it, changed the industry). So are you just talking about interest in technology? You're saying 2001 opened the door (with, strangely, a 10-year delay) for movies to tackle the subject of humans and technology? Didn't METROPOLIS do that?

Pubrick

1. Do u think JB uses as many question marks in real life as he does online?

2. Do u think he likes the Black Eyed Peas "Where is the Love" video more than the average person? Do you like it?

3. Which is ur favorite room in a house?
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Are you really cool, or do you have ghost writers?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

molly

Do you believe that people are mainly good, or do you believe they are not mainly good? Do you feel comfortable when you have to trust to people, when you don't have other option but to put your trust in somebody else's hands? And i don't think specifically, i think i general, when you'd have to sum all mankind, all 6 billion in that one person.