WALL• E

Started by MacGuffin, January 17, 2007, 06:31:21 PM

Alexandro

yes, it's an awesome way to write a screenplay. too bad that in the real world most "professionals" who read screenplays for production companies wouldn't read it just because it's not in the "correct" format. filmmaking world is full of stupid and banal rules that everyone follows just because. it's a direct consequence of "squares taking over everything" as jim jarmusch said. you have to play by the rules and that includes writing your screenplay in the "correct" format (preferably in a screenplay software), without including too much elaborate shots descriptions (regardless of the fact you will be the director and under the excuse of being "difficult" to read despite the fact that people who read it are movie people who are supposed to understand, you know, shots) and god forbid you write up a specific song title for a certain moment because they will be turned off just by thinking of paying rights for that music. the ideal  is usually to make the screenplay as unexpressive as you possibly can. only very few guys get away with writing it their own way, like guillermo del toro and tarantino. i remember pt anderson talking about having two separate versions of the scripts, one with all the camera movements and specific shots which was really for himself, and one for the rest of the world.

pixar is different because they are awesome and understand what creative really means.

writing dialogue...well, there should be exercises for good writing dialogue too.

Stefen

I wrote the second greatest screenplay ever written (after I had already written the first), but I did it on a combination of napkins, car windows and post-it notes and nobody would even take a look at the first Subaru.

I'm in the process of 3D'ing it up, but I have a feeling it's an empty gesture.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Have you considered rebooting it?
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

I tried that, but it got towed.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.